• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Guys & Girls, like the title says I have encountered a new roadblock in the hobby.

This thread will show you guys every step I take to battle this annoying pest and hopefully after I win this war you guys could look back to this thread to follow my steps and not make all the mistakes I might make along the way.

The first phase of this was identification of the threat. I knew it was Dinoflagellates because it fit the bill visually but I needed to know what strain of Dinos it was.

This link is not mine but it’s to illustrate what I mean by the visual characteristics.

Dinoflagellates Example

Now what I did is I asked @Ernie Crucet If he could check some samples under the microscope and since he has already been through dinos and knows the nightmare they’re he drove to me at 9pm to pick up the samples and looked at them under the microscope.

after getting the images we ID it on google but to make sure we checked the Dinos thread here In R2R and asked @taricha for an ID. He confirmed it was Amphidinium Dinoflagellates. You can check his thread HERE and my question HERE

He recommended I let it run it’s cycle since Amphidinium isn’t toxic or very little and it isn’t entirely considered a pest. So I decided to do following.

Plan of Action 1.0:

I will follow this 100% for 2 weeks and if this doesn’t work I will transition to plan 2.0 but let’s hope this works out.
  • Daily substrate syphoning (through 50 micron polishing pad back into the sump).
  • No water changes.
  • Scrub the rocks daily with a toothbrush.
  • Shorten the light schedule from 12hrs to 9hrs slowly to not shock corals.
  • Add copepod
  • Add Phytoplankton.
  • Nitrifying bacteria.

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend giving phase one more time around a month to see a change. si no PLP I would dose some bacteria like dr tims waste away to consume the dinos but the pods and bacteria should be able to do that on there own. It sounds like a solid plan

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend giving phase one more time around a month to see a change. si no PLP I would dose some bacteria like dr tims waste away to consume the dinos but the pods and bacteria should be able to do that on there own. It sounds like a solid plan
Yeah so phase 2.0 includes Dr. Tim’s Waste-Away. I’m going to revisit the plan in 2 weeks and if I see improvement I will stick with it until fully eradicated since I prefer a more natural approach.

Enigma84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you got on with this? Did the waste away help? I am battling it myself. Advice appreciated

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you got on with this? Did the waste away help? I am battling it myself. Advice appreciated

So far from my understanding he has only added phyto and pods to his regimen. I know he is siphoning the sand bed daily into a piece of floss to get the dinos out.

I would recommend first identifying which dinos you have so you can figure out a plan of attack

Danghost22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience having fought dinos the best tool is the UV and having higher nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all sorry for the late update!

I promise I will work on a more in detail update but just so I don’t leave @xiholdtruex on the dark here I’ll make a quick one.

Long story short I beat the dinos with the phase 1 of the plan and got hit with cyano then I had a nutrient fluctuation and now I’m seeing dinos again. So I will start phase 2 of my Dino plan.

Bradley Creek Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is phase 2? I had Dino’s then cyano. Use chemiclean, that wiped out the cyano now the Dino’s are back and I have some wired things growing. See pic. This is a 20g tall with 10g sump 5 months old

4FC0B692-786C-41E9-BE9D-8F1D505D0E8C.jpeg

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is phase 2? I had Dino’s then cyano. Use chemiclean, that wiped out the cyano now the Dino’s are back and I have some wired things growing. See pic. This is a 20g tall with 10g sump 5 months old

4FC0B692-786C-41E9-BE9D-8F1D505D0E8C.jpeg

Ok so initially my phase 2 was going to be to use Dr. Tim’s waste-away and refresh(I believe that’s what it’s called) I decided not to do it and do phase 1 again and it worked.

I would recommend you to try to look under a microscope and ID the dinos properly to formulate an efficient attack plan.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I’m a Reefer in the 305 area code and been doing it for awhile. I recently had a case of Dino’s. After tons of research I found many reefers report some degree of success with all of these approach singularly, so I decided to do an all out multiprong attack figuring thats the best chance it may work.
So what I did was:

1. Scrubbed all rocks with a toothbrush
2 black out 3 days
3. Installed a UV
4. Increased my aquarium temp to 82.5 and keep it there
5. Change out mechanical filtration daily for the week
6. Increased PO to 0.003 and no3 to 10
7. Dumped helix purple and pink coralline into the tank (no one reported this as a solution but I thought that if I have coralline all over it may out compete Dino’s for the necessary trace elements).

I can happily report I have no hint of Dino’s and I now have coralline. it’s been 2 months since. I’m cautiously optimistic that I have successfully beaten Dino’s.
hope this helps

kalel454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Guys & Girls, like the title says I have encountered a new roadblock in the hobby.

This thread will show you guys every step I take to battle this annoying pest and hopefully after I win this war you guys could look back to this thread to follow my steps and not make all the mistakes I might make along the way.

The first phase of this was identification of the threat. I knew it was Dinoflagellates because it fit the bill visually but I needed to know what strain of Dinos it was.

This link is not mine but it’s to illustrate what I mean by the visual characteristics.

Dinoflagellates Example

Now what I did is I asked @Ernie Crucet If he could check some samples under the microscope and since he has already been through dinos and knows the nightmare they’re he drove to me at 9pm to pick up the samples and looked at them under the microscope.

after getting the images we ID it on google but to make sure we checked the Dinos thread here In R2R and asked @taricha for an ID. He confirmed it was Amphidinium Dinoflagellates. You can check his thread HERE and my question HERE

He recommended I let it run it’s cycle since Amphidinium isn’t toxic or very little and it isn’t entirely considered a pest. So I decided to do following.

Plan of Action 1.0:

I will follow this 100% for 2 weeks and if this doesn’t work I will transition to plan 2.0 but let’s hope this works out.
  • Daily substrate syphoning (through 50 micron polishing pad back into the sump).
  • No water changes.
  • Scrub the rocks daily with a toothbrush.
  • Shorten the light schedule from 12hrs to 9hrs slowly to not shock corals.
  • Add copepod
  • Add Phytoplankton.
  • Nitrifying bacteria.
thx im new so this really helps.

Back