• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

KRas1014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I originally posted this as its own thread, but didn't get any traffic so I figured maybe this would be the more appropriate place for it.

So as a backstory.. my tank is currently just under 5 months old. In hindsight, I am aware that I screwed up a bit in the beginning right after cycling by starting to dose NoPox and Vibrant and wasn't paying attention to my nutrient levels, just thought I was the lucky one that figured out how to avoid the ugly stage lol. When I did test, I found NO3 and PO4 to be at or near 0. At the end of July I started to get some brown "algae" growing on the sand and quickly spreading up the rocks. I started dosing Neophos and NeoNitro about 1.5 months ago and finally got NO3 to about 9ppm and PO4 to .06. The outbreak got pretty bad for a couple weeks and I have been removing as much as I can daily. I also have been running a 55W UV since after cycling but doesnt seem to be doing much. I was hoping this was just a case of the uglies with diatoms, but after I got my microscope today, it looks more like dino's. I am hoping someone can give me a positive ID on this and maybe give me some pointers on a plan of attack. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_1015.jpeg

IMG_1013.jpeg

Lazys Coral House

KRas1014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Alright so i have been doing some digging of my own trying to ID this organism and I am worried that it looks an awful lot like Ostreopsis, but maybe someone else with better knowledge can confirm. The strange this is that my snails and hermits all chomp away at this stuff from my rocks at night, and occasionally I will see my tangs picking at it from the sand and rocks during the day and not a single member of my CUC or fish has been lost during my 2.5 month encounter with this nasty stuff. Some acros are not very happy though...

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
I ran the Hydrogen Peroxide test on the strands you see on the back wall and no noticeable bubbles formed in the flask that weren't already there (as you see there are A LOT of bubbles forming in the tank). According to the thread, this is indicative of Dino's correct? I couldn't get any amount of slime off of that rock you see in the foreground to test, but I assume it's the same as what you see on the back wall.

Nitrates are 0 and Phosphates are very low as well, last tested at 0.02. Right now the tank is fallow for another couple weeks due to an outbreak I had last month. Once fish are back in, I expect Nitrates and Phosphates will go back up.

But in the mean time, what is the best course of action? Three day black out period? Dino X? Raise temperate to 82? Overskimming until I get rid of them?

Once I get them under control, dose Nitrates until fish naturally bring it back up? Underskim?

20201013_130510.jpg
20201013_130452.jpg

20201013_130526.jpg
So a 3 day black out has nearly obliterated all the ugly...which I have to assume now was Dino's. I also raised temp to 80.5F.

How do I proceed from here though? Do I need to run carbon? There are no fish in the tank for at least another couple weeks, so would aggressive skimming do the trick with no Carbon?

I also purchased some Dino X. Do I hold off on using it or should I preempt any additional outbreak and dose Dino X?

IMG_1525.jpg
IMG_1524.jpg

taricha

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Alright so i have been doing some digging of my own trying to ID this organism and I am worried that it looks an awful lot like Ostreopsis, but maybe someone else with better knowledge can confirm. The strange this is that my snails and hermits all chomp away at this stuff from my rocks at night, and occasionally I will see my tangs picking at it from the sand and rocks during the day and not a single member of my CUC or fish has been lost during my 2.5 month encounter with this nasty stuff. Some acros are not very happy though...
The small amount of ostreopsis I have had in my tank were also low toxin. It is possible. Researchers have found even the same population can become more or non toxic depending on nutrients and bacterial associates.

Zoanthids.com

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Beautiful pics of prorocentrum.
Today I learned that the pyrenoid is not a ring, but is a 3d cylinder that runs the full thickness of the cell.
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 12.25.41 PM.png
Yeah a member of my local club bought a really nice microscope to use with his farm animals (alpaca and the like) he offered to look at a sample for me.

hopefully sparking a diatom bloom will take care of these guys. Started water glass today.

How vigilant are you when it comes to the TDS of your RODI water?

• It is VERY important to me

Votes: 300 64.1%
  • It is somewhat important to me

Votes: 132 28.2%
  • It is NOT important to me

Votes: 26 5.6%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 10 2.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors