Do you agree with Paul B's method (no QT) ?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a male blue throat trigger, 4 chromis, and a diamond spot goby from LA.

Temp and salinity acclimation and directly to the display. This makes 29 fish, no qt, live bacteria filled foods every day for 18 months now. I have yet to lose a fish to disease. I have been following @Paul B bacteria philosophy since I first read it.
Since I ordered 5 chromis and 1 was DOA, i stopped by Petco to see if they had a small one. Ended up getting 5. They went strait in too.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon tank with 8 fish that is now almost 3 years old which no fish have been quarantined, and which I have never seen any fish with spots or scratching in. It was my first tank when I didn't know what quarantining was.

I also have a 75 gallon in which all fish (9 of them) have been treated with copper or TTM after I lost many of the fish in it due to a velvet outbreak. It's almost 2 old. I QT all corals and inverts for 76 days ... but I don't want to QT anymore.

I have lost so many corals in QT. And I have had a few unexplained fish deaths in the 75 DT recently.

If QT is not saving lives for me and is not saving me money in terms of livestock lost, I find myself asking why I should bother anymore? I have a starry blenny in a 10 gallon QT right now, and not sure what to do anymore. I think I will observe him for a few weeks but not treat unless I see something that requires it. I also think I will continue to QT corals but only for a week or two instead of the full 76 days, to be able to watch for pests before entering display.

I think i'm having an identity crisis as to whether I'm a QT'er or a non-QT'er. I just want to have heathy, happy fish.

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what makes you happy and learn from your mistakes. In this hobby, what works for one reefer, may not work for another. We are replicating a slice of the ocean and each reefer will apply a different product or strategy to maintain their slice.
So there really is no right or wrong for Qing an animal, just go with your gut based on the information given to you by the place where you purchased that animal from.
Wish you the best.
FYI, I don’t Q anything I get. If it looks/acts fishy, I’m not putting it in my tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do what makes you happy and learn from your mistakes. In this hobby, what works for one reefer, may not work for another. We are replicating a slice of the ocean and each reefer will apply a different product or strategy to maintain their slice.
So there really is no right or wrong for Qing an animal, just go with your gut based on the information given to you by the place where you purchased that animal from.
Wish you the best.
FYI, I don’t Q anything I get. If it looks/acts fishy, I’m not putting it in my tank.

This I dont agree with - dont do what makes you happy - do whats best for the fish (the pets you're buying - and the coral you're buying). I think there is no evidence that QT results in a better long-term mortality than non QT - BUT - I never buy online, I never buy a fish that I cant see for a period of time, and I never buy a fish that looks un healthy.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I ordered 5 chromis and 1 was DOA, i stopped by Petco to see if they had a small one. Ended up getting 5. They went strait in too.
Quick update to stay transparent. The 5 chromis I added from Petco all died within 24 hours. They were in tanks at Petco with sick and dead fish. I will go get 5 more today if they got any more in.

The trigger, 4 chromis, and the diamond spot goby are all still alive and except for the goby are doing great. The goby seems lethargic and is not moving much, but not dead. All 23 of my other fish are fine.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a great deal. I went into an LFS and got a bunch of acropora pieces about 6" long and a really nice gorgonian for $60.00
Of course I am covered in crazy glue and epoxy, but it was worth it.

It's all in my tank and so far looks real happy. :cool:

Of course I could have put it in a QT tank for 72 days, but then it would be dead so I didn't do that. ;Wideyed

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because to many things do, but nothing will die if I just put it in my tank. Corals need light, water movement and microscope food that they will get in my reef.
So why would I do that/

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never QT or acclimate corals, fish or inverts. Just drop them in my tank and so far never had a problem. I am not saying, what works for me will work for you but that's the way I do things. And ummm been doing this since in the early 90's.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I most certainly do agree and practice methods very similar to Paul without all those disease often associated with other methods. No itch or other parasites and diseases etc on over 30 years so what's not to disagree with Paul's methods.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have said your tank is 40 + years old - and that 'your fish die of old age' - Where have all the tangs and moorish idols gone? (I assume you traded them away - because you find them boring) - but - im sure the question is coming either way (yellow tangs at least are known to be up to 40 years old in the wild)
I’m curious about this study about tangs. How does one track a fish in the wild for 40 years to determine its lifespan? Seems overly daunting to say the least.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed through. Consensus is I do this, I do that. I don’t this, I don’t do that.

Exactly. ;Wideyed

I’m curious about this study about tangs. How does one track a fish in the wild for 40 years to determine its lifespan? Seems overly daunting to say the least.

You have to check their birth certificate. :cool:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 32 gallon tank with 8 fish that is now almost 3 years old which no fish have been quarantined, and which I have never seen any fish with spots or scratching in. It was my first tank when I didn't know what quarantining was.

I also have a 75 gallon in which all fish (9 of them) have been treated with copper or TTM after I lost many of the fish in it due to a velvet outbreak. It's almost 2 old. I QT all corals and inverts for 76 days ... but I don't want to QT anymore.

I have lost so many corals in QT. And I have had a few unexplained fish deaths in the 75 DT recently.

If QT is not saving lives for me and is not saving me money in terms of livestock lost, I find myself asking why I should bother anymore? I have a starry blenny in a 10 gallon QT right now, and not sure what to do anymore. I think I will observe him for a few weeks but not treat unless I see something that requires it. I also think I will continue to QT corals but only for a week or two instead of the full 76 days, to be able to watch for pests before entering display.

I think i'm having an identity crisis as to whether I'm a QT'er or a non-QT'er. I just want to have heathy, happy fish.

I quarantine everything..
I will say I think it is more important to quarantine coral.
Man you get a pest you may have to rip the whole tank down. Coral pest are the worse, I have also seen corals especially lps come in with bubble algae and Vermetid snails. If the seller scrubs them down you may not even see it. I have seen corals pest in some people tanks so bad they had to rip the tanks down and some gave up on the hobby. A friend got some type of dictyota that covered every inch of his tank and coral and it did this in a very short time.

As far as fish go things have changed so much over the years. There are so many more fish passing through wholesalers and retailer. Fish are being kept together in larger quantities and fish from different oceans. Some fish may not have a resistance to something from another area of the world. Then they also get mixed in with captive bred fish which have never been subjected to these diseases. How can you a have a resistance to something you never have been subjected too?

I have known very few people who left the hobby over fish dying but I know tons of people who left because something came in on a coral like flatworms, algae or Vermetid snails.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back