Do you quarantine?

Do you quarantine?

• Yes, no medicine

• No, just drop em in.

• No, but I observe fish prior to putting them in and do my best to maintain a healthy environment

• Yes, with medicine.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never met anyone they enjoys quarantining fish. It is a lot of work and resources. Many years ago I would plop and drop fish in, but disease wasn't well understood at that time. Now not only do we have a better understanding but also have treatments. Like many of you my fish are more valuable than what I paid, they are my pets. I absolutely quarantine with medication. I don't put much stock in short term observation. I hate quarantining, but hate losing fish more.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank up for a month now and no fish as of yet. But when I do introduce fish I won't be quarantining. Not because I don't want to, but because it's impossible, at this point, to have a QT: I've pushed my limits in the house with the tank, ro/di water system and other equipment. I'm going to try my best to follow Paul b.'s method... but it makes it more difficult with a new system.

The other option I am considering is buying my fish from Aqua Locker (which I am planning to do regardless) and have them quarantine for 45 days. I know it's not perfect, but my options are limited.

I think that's an excellent option. Nothing is perfect. And it might even be better if you don't have experience with QT.

Personally...it depends. Depends on where I bought the fish, if the fish can tolerate QT (like Anthias don't do so well, etc.

Most fish, yes, but not for the long lengths of time some people do.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In both cases I only realized the buggers were in there after about three fish had disappeared during the nights over a two week period and each time I found the half eaten fish a few days later.

One night I could make out a star fish like shape on the glass and was shocked to see him sticking to the front glass and literally waving at me. The next night I patiently fed him some shrimp to keep him full and build some level of trust over the coming days. He soon came out on command and would quickly pick up the shrimp and then dart into the rocks. With some trust built up I then tried some shrimp in a net and he went in but shot out the moment I tried to pull up the net. After that he would never come out if I was close by the glass. They are as smart as people say they are.

I then started building a trap with a one foot long clear cylinder with a closed side and a hinged door I made on the other side. I tied a shrimp to the far end using tiny holes I had drilled and some string. The door was on a long 10ft string that I held at a distance

I waited up for several hour with the red lights on for the little bugger to come out. I was able to pull shut the opening and lift the cylinder out the moment he grabbed the shrimp as he was in too far to get out in time. Next I made a bowl of rice and enjoyed some fresh Calamari :p. Nah same fate but they both got the one finger solute as they swirled down the bowl. It may sound cruel but my brother had a commercial tank that was wiped out to the tune of several thousand dollars by one of these buggers. They eat non stop and will take down fish much larger than them.

If you have never seen this video it is an eye opener to how deadly they are in an aquarium.

Octopus in Aquarium

The ones in my tank could spread out in the palm of my hand and not reach the edges. The head about 3/4" across but they easily take out 4" Tangs like they were nothing.

Why didn't you rehome them? There are plenty of people out there who would kill for a free octopus.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn't you rehome them? There are plenty of people out there who would kill for a free octopus.
Friends don’t give friends an octopus :p
Seriously I don’t know anybody that would have wanted it and putting it back in the ocean was not an option at the time. They are interesting creatures but they eat everything from shrimps to angel fish.

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Learned my lesson to putting anything right in. Ended up with a bad case of ick. dismantled all aquascape, netted 12 fish, set up a monstrous QT, and going 3 months fallow. Ugh...... never again, medicated QT and fallow coral tank for anything going in my tank!!

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand how it could be a debate. Obviously in an ideal world, everyone would QT everything that went in their display and that’s the best way. But it doesn’t always make fiscal sense, and not everyone has the time or ability to maintain an extra tank. All the fish in my tank combined are worth less than $100, of course I’m just going to pop them in the tank. For anyone with a larger/more expensive system it would be potentially foolish not to QT. Moving forward, my current tank will be my QT.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t understand how it could be a debate. Obviously in an ideal world, everyone would QT everything that went in their display and that’s the best way. But it doesn’t always make fiscal sense, and not everyone has the time or ability to maintain an extra tank. All the fish in my tank combined are worth less than $100, of course I’m just going to pop them in the tank. For anyone with a larger/more expensive system it would be potentially foolish not to QT. Moving forward, my current tank will be my QT.

Its a debate for a couple reasons - first - the majority of people don't QT (at least according to polls on this site including this one) - and seem to be successful. Second (and I like the way this poll is worded - because it defines what "QT" is - some define it as observation some define it is automatic medication with several compounds. Based on this poll 66% of people do not use empiric treatment - which has risks that at times can be worse than the problem its trying to 'fix'. I.e. copper damaging the immune system - which though it helps any CI - may predispose to bacterial infection.

I'm not taking either side - just explaining why 'its a debate'

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a debate for a couple reasons - first - the majority of people don't QT (at least according to polls on this site including this one) - and seem to be successful. Second (and I like the way this poll is worded - because it defines what "QT" is - some define it as observation some define it is automatic medication with several compounds. Based on this poll 66% of people do not use empiric treatment - which has risks that at times can be worse than the problem its trying to 'fix'. I.e. copper damaging the immune system - which though it helps any CI - may predispose to bacterial infection.

I'm not taking either side - just explaining why 'its a debate'

you got me! there is zero chance I would ever medicate a visually healthy fish. It would be like taking a healthy kid to the doctor and saying “treat him for tuberculosis”. But a period of isolation and observation just seems to make an incredible amount of sense, I’m very sure that without a cleaner shrimp I would have lost fish early on.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a fish from @Dr. Reef and couldn't be happier. He QTd and medicated my Beta for a very, very reasonable price. His website is http://www.quarantinedfish.us/

Took the issues of QT and medicating out of my hands, and got me a hard to find fish with no issues.

From now on he's the only person I'll buy fish from

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone, and soon to be 157w worth of UV on 150-ish gallon system. I feed LRS and Rods and mysis and nori. Some clams/scallops. whatever really....

If my fish get something they can’t fight off, it is what it is........

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone, and soon to be 157w worth of UV on 150-ish gallon system. I feed LRS and Rods and mysis and nori. Some clams/scallops. whatever really....

If my fish get something they can’t fight off, it is what it is........

the flake and pellets I use in addition to mysis brag that they include garlic to boost fish immune systems. Is that doing anything, or just a myth?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I QT for a month and observe. The only prophylactic treatment I do is prazipro. If anything else comes up I’ll treat for that, but I don’t treat otherwise.

bsbell12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased all fully QT'd fish and will continue to do so... what I did not know, and learned the hard way, is that clean up crew needs to be QT'd as well. 11 fish died in the blink of an eye to velvet after I added some snails from a LFS directly to my display. :(

Nothing will go in without a full QT now. Working on setting up a full frag QT system while the tank is fallow.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased all fully QT'd fish and will continue to do so... what I did not know, and learned the hard way, is that clean up crew needs to be QT'd as well. 11 fish died in the blink of an eye to velvet after I added some snails from a LFS directly to my display. :(

Nothing will go in without a full QT now. Working on setting up a full frag QT system while the tank is fallow.
I think this is becoming so much more prevalent in this hobby now. 5 years ago I didn’t know anyone QTing coral or inverts for ich/velvet reasons but now everyone is because more often than not they hitchhike into our systems from these.

the last time I got velvet was also due to a coral addition so coral QT/frag tank it is

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back