Do you Zeo?

Do you use any of the Zeo Methods?

• Yes it works great!

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Yes but I wasn't pleased with the results.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • No but I'd like to give it a try.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • No what is it?

Votes: 21 44.7%

• Total voters

ddr_phish

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone out there is doing anyone of the numerous "Zeo Methods" out there on their tank(s). I've been doing the cheap-o version, dosing Vodka and Vit-C and have seen decent results. But with my next tank upgrade I'm wanting to do the Brightwell Zeo.

Edit: For those that don't know what the Zeo Systems are check out the link that Eggie provided
http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf

Also, I'm curious as to what everyone's dosing schedule is (for those that do it). It'd be interesting to see what different products everyone is using, how much and often they are dosing, and their total system volume, along with any major changes they have noticed.

Last edited:

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh, as you know I'm going to be starting the brightwell version here shortly and hopefully some people that use it will chime in.

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was adding some of there products followed directions to a t and even dosed 25% of what the directions said, did it slow. You really have to babysit your system and forget about going out of town. Dont get me wrong nice system if you can nail in and want to babysit your system. Just not for me, again just my opinion.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure there is a thread here that explains the Brightwell (NeoZeo method) or the more popular ZeoVit system. But it is definitely more for the hands on reefer.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vodka for over 6 months and just started adding vit c also for the past month or so. I use Zeo AA's but have never tried the complete system.

OP
OP
ddr_phish

ddr_phish

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting that Eggie, I couldn't find a link to anywhere that thoroughly explained it all.

Paul, right now all I've been doing is the Vodka and Vit-C, for around 4 months I believe. I have seen results in nutrient reduction, film algae disappearing, coral coloration increasing (not much), increased skimmate (a lot), and it seems to be helping decrease the growth rate of this nuisance algae I have growing. I think once I do the full-blown Zeo I will see these results 10x over and be a lot happier.

chefmike

Cooking with corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading thru that guide a little...it seems like it might be a huge expense and potentially bad for your corals if overdosed...what type of changes is everyone seeing and with what types of corals?

Thanks...

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for giggles I went to a web site that sells all of the Zeovit additives and added all the products up except one that they didn't have a price for yet... The total was without the reactor for the media came to $$$581.30 They lure you in with a starter kit that has $45.00 worth of additives then they got ya hooked cause your coral seem to like it after you aclimate them to their system. Then you gota have all the rest of the additives because you have sucked all the nuetrients out of the water and it has to be replace somehow. OK so now you have the great colors that they promised and happy and growing coral... Now what you frag off some of the coral and you sell them or trade them to your buddies and others that aren't useing this fabulous system.. If they survive this transition ok maybe but they are all gona slow their growth and loose most if not all the colors they had. I have jumped on most of the bandwagons this hobby has put out over the last 20 plus years that I have been playing with saltwater but I won't be in on this one.. And I hope I don't get any corals that have been either.... Just MO of course... Everybody has one!

OP
OP
ddr_phish

ddr_phish

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree that ZeoVit is outrageously expensive. But the Brightwell NeoZeo, is like 70$ total, and thats with a media reactor. I've seen some insane coloration on Zeo tanks and impeccable parameters. I have hope that I'll achieve these results too when I start doing it on my new tank, especially after the results I've seen with Vodka/VitC.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i could say that its not that expensive if you do it like i did

First got the basics lower my nutrents

Build my own reactor

Then got some additives you dont need them all just AA,B balance,coralvit,Iodide
I still have bottles from when I started 8 months ago and still have the half of it
The product is very pure thats why the dosing has to be so little

I dont think that changing a coral from a low nutrient tank using zeo to non using low nutrient tank will effect the coral

I have had good growth on corals i very nice colors
Using T5 and Zeovit

Last edited:

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it.... still use it... and love it.

I will say that they sell a ton of different products and the directions recommend way more than you really need to use. If you are the type that likes to try something watch the results slowly and make your own dosing schedule then you'll enjoy using this system and will get great results.

If your the type person that wants to just add somethign based on the directions once a week then this probably isn't the system for you.

I use:
Bak, Start2, pohls xtra, sponge power, AA, and K Strong

Used correctly I have seen great results.
Brandon

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been doing zeovit since last september and it was expensive to get started. But you use the stuff so slow, it really isnt costing you that much. I am dosing 500 gallons of total water volume and have only started my second bottle of certain things, but have a lot more growth and color. I havent taken any pics in a while,but i have a thread i posted a while back with differences. if I get a chance to take some pics i will post them in this thread so everyone can see.

planecrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard as many horror stories as I have heard success stories. My biggest concern is the maintenance of ALK. One wrong move and burn off the tips of your SPS.....ugh......

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard as many horror stories as I have heard success stories.
When people don't understand something, it's easy to screw it up...

Any of the "ZEO" systems are probiotic bacterial driven systems, they work like a champ if done correctly.

OP
OP
ddr_phish

ddr_phish

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats too true, people can mess up the simplest of things and then leave "bad feedback" for the product because they didn't pay attention to the instructions and what they noticed in their tank.

I updated the first post, anyone that doses any type of Zeo (Brightwell, ZeoVit, ProDibio, Vodka/VitC) please tell us your schedule.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back