Dremel.. is this okay?!?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got this as a Christmas gift for me.. ;)

since I'm getting into micros and lords, I thought I would invest on this guy and start experimenting on fragging.. my Blueberry lords or micro is due for fragging since it has multiple babies that are stretching for light... the rock these guys are on is weird shape so I'll experiment on fragging it to make it better for growth later..

watcha guys think of this one? great, decent, crappy?

12-23-06Gift_1.jpg

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

toddman74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dremel diamond cutter wheel

Hey Marv,
you need to get a dremel 545 diamond cutter wheel.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-545D-545-Diamond-Wheel/dp/B00004UDI9
for $15 at local hardware store.

it works like a charm, low heat that could damage the tissue of the coral and very narrow cut path 1/8" I think. don't use the graphite or other wheels otherwise your cut path will be 1/4" makes a big difference if you have a micro that is only 8mm or less.

I have an extra one of these... maybe trade for something? :)

ricordianut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes make sure u get the extension for it i use my dremmel for everything to frag stuff also do youre self a favor get the dimond blade to cut the rock with the disks they send with the kit really dont last that long and it does take some time to cut threw the rock were the diamond blade zips right threw it. also do youre self a favor make sure u were youre protective eye glasses as u dont get anything in youre eyes

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for one at Meijer's but they didn't have any.. I was expecting to pay $15 which no big deal so I'll go to Home Depot or Lowes for it... :)

I knew I can count on you fraggerz... hehe...

Thanks everyone... I appreciate the frag tips...

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the diamond wheels are a bit expensive for my tastes, i prefer the fiber glass blades, just as good IMO. plus you get like 5 in a package for around $8 or so.

very strong, last a long time. they dont generate that much heat either. you can cut PVC with them without melting the PVC.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the diamond wheels are a bit expensive for my tastes, i prefer the fiber glass blades, just as good IMO. plus you get like 5 in a package for around $8 or so.

very strong, last a long time. they dont generate that much heat either. you can cut PVC with them without melting the PVC.

cool... I'll buy both and see which one I like best.. :)

Thanks Al...

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a dremmel about 6 mos ago...w/ a whole case of attachments ... planned on trying to fix some wood trim pieces between my wood/tile with it ...that were previously wood/linoleum...

Been sitting in the box ever since in my garage....right next to the ryobi power saw that I bought and never used (somone borrowed it and broke the bit...got a new bit and still never used it)...heh.

Never even thought of it for fragging...

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used my dremel many times for fragging lots of stuff, with great success. I got the idea from Miguel a long time ago who also used the flexible extension. With a diamond disc blade it goes through rock like a hot knife through butter! You can get them cheap at Harbor Freight

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here was a cool article on fragging a plate coral with a dremel (note they were NOT using that long snake like attachment to keep saltwater away from the motor)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/fotm/index.php

i've seen locals try to frag plate corals, and while the frags survived, they never really grew or took back the form of a normal looking plate coral.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3 sets of diamond wheels from harbour frieght. 2.99 a piece.. They come with 5 blades a piece. I dunno if i'll ever use 15 blades, I am still on my first one. LOL

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3 sets of diamond wheels from harbour frieght. 2.99 a piece.. They come with 5 blades a piece. I dunno if i'll ever use 15 blades, I am still on my first one. LOL

hook it up bro.. :lol:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back