EB832 stopped working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I was just finishing installing a new equipment board and unhooked my apex so I can run the cables and clean things up a bit, but when I plugged everything back in my EB832 just started to make a clicking noise. Lights on the unit look normal, but it doesn't supply power to the outlets. I submitted a ticket, so we'll see? Anyone here encounter this issue? The breaker isn't tripped and my two EB8's are working just fine and they're twice as old. Ugh!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your AquaBus ports and cable ends for any corrosion. Do you have a different AquaBus cable to try, or perhaps plug the EB832 into a different AquaBus port?

Surfpulse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I had the same issue. One day my EB832 starting making a clicking sound, yet no power to my ports. Also I did not hear that clicking sound either (when you turn a port on or off)
Long story short, I opened it up, did not see anything blown.
Apex basically solid me a new one at a discount and I sold the old one to someone who thought they could fix it

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I had the same issue. One day my EB832 starting making a clicking sound, yet no power to my ports. Also I did not hear that clicking sound either (when you turn a port on or off)
Long story short, I opened it up, did not see anything blown.
Apex basically solid me a new one at a discount and I sold the old one to someone who thought they could fix it
I'm sure that will be the case for me too, as I've had this unit for 3 years now. It stinks that the newer model seems to have all of these issues, while both my EB8's are still kicking without issue.

Surfpulse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure that will be the case for me too, as I've had this unit for 3 years now. It stinks that the newer model seems to have all of these issues, while both my EB8's are still kicking without issue.
I would agree 110%. I wish you the best of luck with this. I tend to see some EB832 on ebay, that are broken for $100

dimo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine recently took a dump. Started making funny clicking noises. For me though the lights on the power bar and on the main unit were also flashing while it was clicking. I troubleshooted it and discovered the internal power supple that powers the aquabus (12V) was dead/dying. Plugging in an external 12v wall brick into the aux input of the main unit fixed all my problems.

At some point I will open it up and see if I can fix it, but it's working for the time being.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I guess it's a good thing I fragged my confetti and pink table, so much for using that money for other things. I still need to hook up my brand COR20, hopefully nothing happens after it's installed?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a problem. Not surprisingly, the relays that get the most use (frequent switching, high wattage devices like heaters) tend to fail first. Replacing a failing one is also really unpleasant and nerve-wracking, especially if you have a complex system; it's not like replacing some accessory module.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I try to program outlets so they aren't turning on/off constantly and I use a Ranco for my heaters. It just stinks that I have to spend $200 on something that should have a much longer life span and seems to be an ongoing issue.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone successful at repairing the EB832 on their own? As soon as my new comes in, I'll crack it open and have a look, but was curious if anyone was successful or not?

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah My outlets are super weird also and stopped working. I can manually turn them on and off and it clicks and the light goes on and off but its not actually supplying power. If I hit the feed mode and turn everything off except the one outlet thats on but not working it will turn on and then I can turn everything back on. Super strange. They ended up offering me an option to send it in or buy a replacement at a discount also. I went the discount route but I have'nt replaced the box yet as I have been super lazy and all the main things are working. @minus9 Keep us posted on what you find I will be cracking mine open as well to see whats going on.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah My outlets are super weird also and stopped working. I can manually turn them on and off and it clicks and the light goes on and off but its not actually supplying power. If I hit the feed mode and turn everything off except the one outlet thats on but not working it will turn on and then I can turn everything back on. Super strange. They ended up offering me an option to send it in or buy a replacement at a discount also. I went the discount route but I have'nt replaced the box yet as I have been super lazy and all the main things are working. @minus9 Keep us posted on what you find I will be cracking mine open as well to see whats going on.
I just checked the 24v ports and they are functioning and working properly, so it's just the AC outlets that are dead. Hopefully it's just a simple fix? I've been soldering since the 80's, making guitar pedals, audio cables and snakes, etc, so maybe there's hope in fixing this?

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see where this goes. If you wind up sourcing parts, links to the sites would be much appreciated! :)

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After opening the unit, I discovered that a couple film resistors are blown, so I just need to find out the values and order some.
55F392F4-2EF5-465C-B251-2EF19F004743.jpeg
444AB43A-025A-4D41-8308-2585F4E2F41F.jpeg

Also, I think I know why this happened, but it's just my guess. When I unplugged it from the wall, I didn't unplug everything from the unit itself and when I plugged it back into the wall, it must have created a surge, but it never tripped the breaker and the resistors took the brunt of the surge. So if there's anyone out there who needs to moved their unit, unplug everything first, then plug everything in one after another. I wonder how many people experienced a power outage and this happened?

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pix! How would you even go about replacing something like that? Also, finding the values might be tough, unless you can somehow tell from inspecting an undamaged one. Neptune doesn't give out information like that, or particularly encourage DIY solutions on this level (don't post requesting this info on their community forum, for example.)

And thanks for that observation and advice. I suspect that's not uncommon and as you say could even result in issues after a power failure unless you turn off or unplug all the devices during the power failure, and then back on one by one when the power returns. Which most people wouldn't think to do. I do keep my Apex systems each on their own UPS, and would recommend this to anyone. The Apex doesn't appreciate power interruptions and surges.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back