OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow it's been a long time, and lots have changed.

for starters, this tank is still running, however I have fully committed it to an RFA focused tank.

IMG_20201113_175144.jpg

the corals seen here are just extras that u have no room for in the 14G notacube.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the idea is to fill it with many ultra and rainbow nems.

so far I only have 4. one of which is not an ultra, but it was my first so I have an attachment to it lol. it's also the biggest one I've got

I had another orange one that I stupidly out into the 14G, which I cannot remove now, unfortunately. I guess I'll just have to get another one.

I am getting another ultra tomorrow via online order (my first ever online livestock order, woohoo), hopefully it's as good as the pic online.

IMG_20201113_175154.jpg

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can kind of see now that the rock structure has been completely altered, however it was not a complete restart by any means.

here's the full story:

this tank was originally my bedroom desk tank, I was going to put RFAs in here, but I also wanted to make it a full reef.

this didn't really work out as nothing really grew, and eventually the sand bed got quite gross.

a while ago I moved both the 14G and desktop garden downstairs to the first floor; the summer heat did a number on both tanks and the humidity did a number on my sleep.

this presented a big problem though: both tanks used the same gravity top off tank that sat atop my desk cabinet thing.

I had put a smaller stand beside the 14G to hold it's top off tank, but had no space for the Garden, and so I vowed to not forget to manual top off. guess how that went :rolleyes:

the lack of proper top off and general neglect made the garden look like a dump every week.

the miserable looking tank was screaming for a makeover, and I was finally ready to do something about it after seeing some inspirational pictures of RFA gardens.

IMG_20201111_180947.jpg

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
part one of the makeover consisted of making a proper top off system. this is where I made a couple of things that I am very proud of.

1 was an electrical device that ACTUALLY WORKS!
the stand I put the Garden on is a corner desk that holds a decorative lamp and our router. there is absolutely no space for another gravity fed ATO that I am so fond of, so it will have to be pump operated.

I also wanted to use the existing float switch and float switch mount I made. it is very sleek and worked great to operate the solenoid valve for the gravity ATO.

this is where I ran into an issue. the solenoid drew so little power that u could run the straight 24v through the switch and solenoid in series with no issues. for the months I used the gravity ATO there wasn't a single issue with sticking. however this didn't fly with the pump I needed to use. testing in the bathroom, the float switch would engage without fault, but wouldn't turn off! :mad:

this was a big fear of mine as it would mean I'd have to buy a proper ATO.

“No!” I thought, I ain't paying over 100$ for something I can make! but the enthusiasm waned when I remembered its electrical.

I love mechanical engineering and machining, I'm not good at it but I can make most things I want/need, however when it comes to electrical, well let's say I have the interest, but that interest has led to multiple blown house fuses o_O

I have rarely made anything electrical that has worked perfectly, but I was determined this time!

after mulling everything over in my electrically deficient brain, I realized this was far easier than I had anticipated.

all I needed was a simple MOSFET motor controller, and I had all the parts (from previous failed, fuse blowing projects)

I followed some online instructions, and made a simple ATO motor controller!!!

16058504105326093618086253176643.jpg

The thing is primitive, consisting of a voltage regulator to control the gate of a MOSFET and... that's it.

3 JST plugs connected the power supply to the float switch, which controlled the voltage regulator, which in turn turned on the MOSFET driving the pump. the voltage regulator drew little current, ensuring the float switch doesn't stick, and the MOSFET drives the pump at full speed with ease.

the whole thing is such a slick package too. the V-reg and MOSFET had the same shape/size, and so I soldered them together back to back (ground to ground) and heatshrinked it all together.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the second thing I was so proud of, is a rolling dolly for the ATO resevoir.

I fell in love with the idea of using a small cube tank as the resevoir, as it is see through for easy water level gauging, and it looks like a crystal cube when full.

the original ATO tank was brought down stairs and used for the 14G, and I had bought another of the same tank a while ago specifically to make another ATO tank should I need it.

being that the Garden sits on a very short corner stand, there would be no room for filling it if it sat on the ground beneath the stand, so I wanted to make a dolly for it.

my original idea was hobby grade plywood with caster wheels, but I realized I had a bunch of 3/4" aluminum square pipe left from a freshwater light fixture endeavor.

I cut 4pcs of equal length and made a square frame, which was held together with the caster wheel bases. looks very sleek with the tank if I do say so myself.

IMG_20201115_005123.jpg

if I were to do it again, I may use t-slot aluminum stock. would be easier to bolt together

the lid is made of Acrylic of a thickness that I don't remember, cut to a square with strips glued to the edge into a lid shape. I made a new one that looks much better than the pictured one but I put it on the 14G's ATO tank as it's more visible.

a hole drilled for a John guest bulkhead, some 1/4 acrylic tubes cut and machined to accept 4mm ID silicone tubing later, the ATO system is online and functioning perfectly (knock on wood)

IMG_20201119_234517.jpg
IMG_20201119_234526.jpg
IMG_20201119_234539.jpg

I'd still like to figure out a more elegant solution to the end of the tubing. I may drill a hole on the back chamber of the tank and attach a bulkhead to attach the ATO tube to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
part 2 of the overhaul was flow.

this AIO originally came with a pump way too weak. I replaced it with another AC pump that was supposedly rated for about 170 GPH, but also sucked.

this time I bit the bullet and bought a Jebao dc650. i like Jebao pumps and this thing doesn't disappoint (ok the first one that showed up had some weird corrosion on the magnet, but the replacement was perfect)

this thing is also rated for about 170GPH, but feels more powerful than the AC pump with the same rating.

this was a great upgrade to the lethartgic return pump from before, which let cyano grow anywhere the flow didn't directly hit.

unfortunately I don't have a picture on hand. I will try to get more tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received my first ever online order for livestock.

it was only for a rainbow RFA and a gold torch.

I was a bit skeptical about the torch, but wow, it's color was exactly as was shown in the photo. I will post a picture when it has settled in and fully extends. it's going into my 14G, but I may cut a head for the Garden when it splits.

125285444_3387804267952562_8075905944162983536_o.jpg

website image

it had 1 head/section that seemed to have died a while back. covered by the tentacles in the picture you can't see it. there were full calcified walls around it so it seems the coral has healed. I broke off the dead skeleton to prevent it becoming a deteitus/pest trap. overall, very nice (except price lol)

the Rainbow RFA on the other hand was a little bit underwhelming. I was hoping for a brighter color but at least the pattern on the oral disk is pretty nice.

image.jpg

this is the website's picture. apparently changing my phone camera to 40MP makes the file too big to upload lol.

*edit* I know it looks pretty nice, but I paid a LOT for this guy. I think I could have had one very similar for 75% of what I paid for this one on another site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are phone pix from a while ago.

the 2 clownfish have been re-homed and for now it is inverts only. I'm thinking a single pygmy wrasse might be good, may need a bit more rock work though.

added a couple of new inhabitants: a cleaner shrimp of some kind and a mystery baby urchin that turns out to be a banded long spine. will have to find a new place for it when it gets big.

IMG_20201219_204951.jpg
IMG_20201220_104958.jpg
IMG_20201220_105016.jpg
IMG_20201228_205724.jpg
IMG_20201209_231710.jpg

Turned the lights off for like 20 minutes and these guys started sulking lol.
IMG_20210102_163706.jpg

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
decided to try a bit of red macro (i think its dragon's breath) as i have never had any macro before.

it collects a lot of detritus and micro-fuzz algae even with the Nero 3 spinning up to 50% sometimes.

The LFS had a bunch of small snails that looked like baby Trochus so i asked for a couple for free, and the employee was nice enough to throw in 4 of them. When they're on the macro they clean it up pretty well so that's fine for now.

I am having second thoughts on them being Trochus as they are laying jelly egg sacs already, kind of weird as they're really small, like less than 1/4" each.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
decided to try a bit of red macro (i think its dragon's breath) as i have never had any macro before.

it collects a lot of detritus and micro-fuzz algae even with the Nero 3 spinning up to 50% sometimes.

The LFS had a bunch of small snails that looked like baby Trochus so i asked for a couple for free, and the employee was nice enough to throw in 4 of them. When they're on the macro they clean it up pretty well so that's fine for now.

I am having second thoughts on them being Trochus as they are laying jelly egg sacs already, kind of weird as they're really small, like less than 1/4" each.
That’s odd... pictures?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha you think so? i've never taken classes.
I do think so, there’s a lot of people that were in my graphic design slash photography class who couldn’t shoot that good at the end of the semester.
Didnt think anyone would be interested in pictures of it so i never took any. ill post some more soon
Sounds good, maybe we can get them identified :)

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think so, there’s a lot of people that were in my graphic design slash photography class who couldn’t shoot that good at the end of the semester.

Sounds good, maybe we can get them identified :)

Wow really? maybe some people just don't have that artistic eye for it even if they like it.

I've actually never really had much of an interest in photography, just wanted to see the small life in our tanks up close and capture their beauty.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back