Few questions before doing an upgrade

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

After 1 year in hobby I finally spent some money for a minor upgrade, from 12G nano to 25G shallow nano. I have a few questions.

1. I want to change scape, I never liked scape in my tank. I will be getting some new ceramic rocks with different shape. How do I make sure I don't have to cycle the tank again? Should I put old rock into new tank for a first week weeks and then slowly take them out? Should I use old filter media in new tank? What about sand?

2. If I have to change the sand, which substrate is better, sand or tiny gravel? Will new sand add silicate to the tank and will I have an any stage again? Which sand brand/product is the best?

3. How do I skip the ugly stage again?

4. I have some bristle worms on my current rocks bellow corals, how can I dip those rocks but not to kill corals and not to kill beneficial bacteria on it?

5. I will be using AI blade 30 inch on my tank. Where can I order or how can I make custom plastic hood and cover for that light?

Thanks, I will have more questions for sure.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. I want to change scape, I never liked scape in my tank. I will be getting some new ceramic rocks with different shape. How do I make sure I don't have to cycle the tank again? Should I put old rock into new tank for a first week weeks and then slowly take them out? Should I use old filter media in new tank? What about sand?
Rock contains a lot of filter area so you may need to 're-cycle' the tank if you don't have any old rock in the tank. I'm also not sure how well ceramic will do compared to actual reef rock.
2. If I have to change the sand, which substrate is better, sand or tiny gravel? Will new sand add silicate to the tank and will I have an any stage again? Which sand brand/product is the best?
I would buy a product that is specifically for salt water. Many would say change the sand. Caribsea is a good brand
3. How do I skip the ugly stage again?
Not every tank has an 'ugly stage' - so it's difficult to tell you how to skip it. The more living things you have covering the rock the less likely this will be
4. I have some bristle worms on my current rocks bellow corals, how can I dip those rocks but not to kill corals and not to kill beneficial bacteria on it?
Bristle worms can be beneficial in a tank. However people have used fembendazole, however I doubt a 'dip' will kill them - and not knowing what kind of coral you have I would avoid it - or other chemicals and instead use a 'worm trap'
5. I will be using AI blade 30 inch on my tank. Where can I order or how can I make custom plastic hood and cover for that light?
I would check with the company. I kind of like the hanging version vs a cover.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @MnFish1

What is the deference between AI Blade Grow and AI Blade Glow? Which one is better for display tank?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm in final stages of preparation for upgrade, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

I will have 50% of old and 50% of new rock in new tank.

3 days before upgrade I will rinse new sand and then keep the new sand in bucket and will add beneficial bacteria in it. Turbo start too.

I started to see some red slime algae over my old rock, should I so something about it before moving it to new tank? Tootbruch clean? Maybe dip in h2o2? Will h2o2 dip kill benefical bacteria on my rock?

I will use old filter media in new tank too. I will not use UV for how many days, 4-5?

Thank you!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so I'm in final stages of preparation for upgrade, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

I will have 50% of old and 50% of new rock in new tank.

3 days before upgrade I will rinse new sand and then keep the new sand in bucket and will add beneficial bacteria in it. Turbo start too.

I started to see some red slime algae over my old rock, should I so something about it before moving it to new tank? Tootbruch clean? Maybe dip in h2o2? Will h2o2 dip kill benefical bacteria on my rock?

I will use old filter media in new tank too. I will not use UV for how many days, 4-5?

Thank you!
sounds good.
you can do all of that upgrade 'stuff' in one day - take the rock etc - out of your old tank put it in the new one - and start it up

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, the new scape is here.

How can I make this switch as harmless as possible? I plan to keep old rocks and new scape for a while and then slowly week by week remove one by one old rocks.

Also, I want to add more beneficial bacteria, which one should I use, for the new tanks or established tanks?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20231228_191244.jpg
    20231228_191244.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 20

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
transition from old to new rocks sounds like a good plan. You shouldn't need to add bottled bacteria if your old rock is matured and biodiverse, but if you'd like to, I can personally recommend fritz and microbacter.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, the new scape is here.
EDIT - I got the message that this was a new thread - as compared to the 15-25 gallon change. So ignore some of the comments below - basically, though its the same except - take your old rock out of your tank with fish, etc and put into a brute container, add heater and pump for flow - keep about 1/2 of the water for your new tank.

Mix up new Saltwater per their instructions, and match salinity and temp to the old tank. Add 1/2 new water (fresh) and 1/2 old water (from old tank) to the new one. Start and set up filter, heater, light. When ready move the stuff from your bucked or tub (fish, rock, etc) into the new tank.

Make sure to leave some room in the new tank for the old rock, etc (i.e. don't fill it all the way to the top until you've added your rock)

Congrats. I'm assuming you're transferring from the 15-25 still? - you just want to add new rock?
How can I make this switch as harmless as possible? I plan to keep old rocks and new scape for a while and then slowly week by week remove one by one old rocks.
Do everything as quickly as possible. Great about saving old rocks. I'm not sure I would remove them (unless you have a reason, starting up a new tank, etc). I would just add your new rock, work it into the scape you have. If you do want to slowly remove the old ones - thats fine as well. I'm assuming this is dry rock from somewhere? PS - if you have a sump, you could put your old rock there and just arrange your new scape.
Also, I want to add more beneficial bacteria, which one should I use, for the new tanks or established tanks?

Thank you
I would recommend Fritz 9000 - however, part of the depends on exactly what you're doing. You may not need any.

Are you planning to do anything with your sand?

Checking ammonia or getting an ammonia alert would be a good idea 'just in case' - and again depending on exactly what you're doing

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back