First ICP Test Results back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my first test results back from from Triton today, results came back showing high levels of tin and other unwanted heavy metals.

Thinking most of these elements come from my laziness of swapping out RODI cartridges, but concerned about the salt I'm using, Reef Crystals. I'm planning to do the recommended water changes over the course of six weeks, but have a few questions to go along:
1. Can I continue to use Reef Crystals? It's readily available locally and I don't have to deal with waiting to receive new salt
2. Should I do the recommended dosing for mg and ca?
3. It's recommending I use detox to remove copper.

For 2 and 3, basically should I wait to do these recommendations until after I run my next ICP test to see if I eliminated the unwanted metals? What's the best approach/process to take in this situations?

Thanks Everyone...

Attachments

• Triton Results.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 162

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Results are not bad at all/. Need to raise magnesium ( easy enough). Same for calcium. For copper, simple addition of carbon should remedy that.

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Results are not bad at all/. Need to raise magnesium ( easy enough). Same for calcium. For copper, simple addition of carbon should remedy that.
Thanks for the reply
What abt the heavy metals requiring water changes? Should I dose while doing water changes? Thinking I want to remove contaminates first before starting to dose but not really sure next steps.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems every reefer has high Tin according to ICP.
I have only sent one test in and it was the same.
I am just learning to read and decipher the results.
I used CupriSorb for a while then my tank leaked and threw me into a whirlwind, and have yet to send in another.
Right after I got my first results. I read through several of the Triton forum result threads on this subject, my opinion, right or wrong. Though ICP testing is the next level of current tech, it may or may not be, as accurate (Awesome) as we hoped.

From my research Tin is one that may not be accurate, and almost everyone seemed to have high Tin, and this no matter the salt mix they used. YMMV.

So before you decide to take action, I would search here and else where to gain more information and then decide what to do.

I will warn you, some of the reading is long and very dry, so grab some coffee and dig in.

Then there is the argument of well do we need to worry about some of the results at all?
Tank is doing fantastic, coral is healthy, growing, and full of color, ICP says high Tin ???
Well yes maybe it is high in comparison to the ocean, but is it bad for our reef tank inhabitants?

Just some food for thought.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
you may dose although water changes should replenish deficiencies which are determined from water testing. Carbon will help with removals otherwise Triton DETOX is an excellent metal remover

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back