first livestock for 2,5gallon??

JLReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2,5gallon is ready cycling im looking for a first tiny(obviusly) fish ive got all the upgrade means even eventualy to place it in a bigger tank of mine.
problem is.. the tank is to clean for hermits or snails (maybe feed them with pellets?)
im thinking a clown gobie species.
would that be fine for now in a small "clean" tank.
and what else whould be cool and high personality? i already have ocelaris clowns in another so im not that intersested in keeping more.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2,5gallon is ready cycling im looking for a first tiny(obviusly) fish ive got all the upgrade means even eventualy to place it in a bigger tank of mine.
problem is.. the tank is to clean for hermits or snails (maybe feed them with pellets?)
and what else whould be cool and high personality? i already have ocelaris clowns in another so im not that intersested in keeping more.
Do you have a full tank shot?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Green banded gobies have tons of personality and are small. Easy to feed. Little hungry sharks, easy to feed and bold.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a citron goby if you can find one. Max size is 1”. Perfect for that tank.
Assuming you mean Gobiodon citrinus then 1” max size is incorrect, this species gets closer to 2 inches in max size.
If you mean Gobiodon okinawae however, this is a small species of Gobiodon and maxes out around 1 inch (If not smaller).

I personally have Gobiodon acicularis and he’s a beauty even though he’s a very deep colour (Not pitch black but not far off of it).

For the OP, many gobies will do well. It’s best if you make a list of fish you like for us to pick through and leave you with one or two fish for the tank.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you mean Gobiodon citrinus then 1” max size is incorrect, this species gets closer to 2 inches in max size.
If you mean Gobiodon okinawae however, this is a small species of Gobiodon and maxes out around 1 inch (If not smaller).

I personally have Gobiodon acicularis and he’s a beauty even though he’s a very deep colour (Not pitch black but not far off of it).

For the OP, many gobies will do well. It’s best if you make a list of fish you like for us to pick through and leave you with one or two fish for the tank.
I was talking about the yellow one :grinning-face:

This one! And you are right. Max size 2”.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would stick with something like a Goby. I think most other fish one can find are simply too large or too active. It would be possible to keep a single clown but I wouldn't recommend this other than as QT.

OP
OP
JLReef

JLReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_20221021_145012_332.jpg
    IMG_20221021_145012_332.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 50

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Minimum tank size for citrinus is 15g. For okinawae it is 6-7g. The fish that can be kept sucessfully in around 3g (due to my literature) are:
Eviota
Trimma
Gobiosoma evelynae/oceanops
Doryrhamphus excisus

My citrinus was 3" and okinawae 2" when they were grown up

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLReef

JLReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum tank size for citrinus is 15g. For okinawae it is 6-7g. The fish that can be kept sucessfully in around 3g (due to my literature) are:
Eviota
Trimma
Gobiosoma evelynae/oceanops
Doryrhamphus excisus

My citrinus was 3" and okinawae 2" when they were grown up
so how would it go with one okinwea thats half the size would that be oke then? or doesnt it work like that? i do have a 19gallon to for rehomeing in the future.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how would it go with one okinwea thats half the size would that be oke then? or doesnt it work like that? i do have a 19gallon to for rehomeing in the future.
The thing is, citrinus, okinawae and other clown gobys are usually hosting sps like montipora or pocilopora corals. These are getting too large for 2.5g when they are large enough for the gobi. The gobis will also use the whole tank for swimming even if they are sitting around 90% of their time. It can work, but 2.5g is really cramped for an okinawae (they can get very fast when they are adults)

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally/my opinion

I would not add any fish to this aquriam, I thought mine was small at 40g 200litres.
I understand you have another aquriam set up so I assume you know about 'fish stress'
Maybe disregard this 2.5g as a setup for marine life and maybe build/create another?
Anything you add to this 2.5g will have a very short life expectancy.

OP
OP
JLReef

JLReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally/my opinion

I would not add any fish to this aquriam, I thought mine was small at 40g 200litres.
I understand you have another aquriam set up so I assume you know about 'fish stress'
Maybe disregard this 2.5g as a setup for marine life and maybe build/create another?
Anything you add to this 2.5g will have a very short life expectancy.
for now there is a smal hermit crab who has it all for it self. maybe ill keep some sexy shrimp or other realy small inverts. corals are definitly goin in, witch i also see as marine life.i get that stress is a huge factor for fish and i wont go with anything to big and so i dont realy see why small inverts/fish would die faster in a smaller aquarium if al the paramaters are kept tightly and inhabitants fed well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two spot blenny would be another tiny fish with a buttload of personality. Smaller then a tailspot.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back