OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to cycle tank about a week ago. I have old live rock and about 2" of live sand. Added a bottle of Fritz 9 into the tank to start things going.
A day later I added some ammonia chloride (Doctors Tims). I started out as directed and on the 3rd day my Nitrites and Nitrates where higher than I could test with my Red Sea test kits. My ammonia still was testing in the middle range. But wasn't going to dose any more ammonia until my nitrites and nitrates falls down.

How long should I wait befor considering a water change?

Kinda a rookie move on my part, I should have started a log on what I'm doing/testing daily. I guess I'll start doing that today as well.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

I'm in no rush to add anything to the tank. I was planning on cycling for 4 months. Planning on only adding a clean up crew during this time when algea starts to grow.
I wouldn't do any water changes during the cycle. You'll likely just slow the cycle down. I didn't change any water at all until week five I believe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back