OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look sharp. Your wife did a great job.

We will see how they look when they get here. If they look half as good I’d be okay with that. New corals usually take some time to adjust to a new system. I’ve been fortunate that everything I’ve added recently has done well.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Flippers. Looked at your build from your response to one of my threads. Totally awesome and gave me some ideas for my stand and canopy (both on the drawing table soon). A couple of questions if you don’t mind. was the paint you used on the sump anything special, waterproof? My sump will be in the stand so thinking of ways to keep as waterproof as possible. It also looks like your floor joists are doubled up but you have a wire running through it did the wire come after the double? If not how was the double done on the other side? My build will run parallel to joists but they are short well supported runs with cables already in them so looking for ways to double up without having to redo wiring. Again great build thanks for sharing.:)

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! I’ll do my best answer your questions.

The sump stand paint wasn’t anything water proof. It was just the canned spray paint. The display stand was shot with the same canned paint. If your display stand is to house your sump, you may look for a water proof paint to seal it.

The electrical work down stairs was done after the joists were doubled.

If you were to double them with electrical wire already there, you would need to disconnect the wiring and remove it to add joists. I highly suggest having a electrician do this work for you if you don’t have any residential electrical background. I’m not a licensed electrician, but I’ve done quite a bit of this kind of work in the past and understand fully what I’m doing safety wise and as what is required to do the work to standards and codes.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Flippers4pups, just letting you know I’m totally in love with my baby toadstools;Smuggrin
EC4CAC19-8FE9-4782-A6F3-12012511F36C.jpeg
39360204-D2CC-40A4-9550-F58328D03B3C.jpeg

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! I’ll do my best answer your questions.

The sump stand paint wasn’t anything water proof. It was just the canned spray paint. The display stand was shot with the same canned paint. If your display stand is to house your sump, you may look for a water proof paint to seal it.

The electrical work down stairs was done after the joists were doubled.

If you were to double them with electrical wire already there, you would need to disconnect the wiring and remove it to add joists. I highly suggest having a electrician do this work for you if you don’t have any residential electrical background. I’m not a licensed electrician, but I’ve done quite a bit of this kind of work in the past and understand fully what I’m doing safety wise and as what is required to do the work to standards and codes.
Ha. Architectural draftsman by trade construction engineer in the army and HATE messing with line voltage. Replaced a switch in the house a couple weeks ago. Killed the power from the panel to the lights but the electrician has it wired somehow that still had a live wire on the switch.
That’s a real good paint job for spray paint. How tall is your canopy looks to be about 24” so your lights are about 12” off the water?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha. Architectural draftsman by trade construction engineer in the army and HATE messing with line voltage. Replaced a switch in the house a couple weeks ago. Killed the power from the panel to the lights but the electrician has it wired somehow that still had a live wire on the switch.
That’s a real good paint job for spray paint. How tall is your canopy looks to be about 24” so your lights are about 12” off the water?

Yes that’s about right on canopy height. Yes my lights are very close to 12” off the water.

Went to a LFS for some Focus and some Metro. My yellow coris wrasse has a light spot on its side. Food is soaking as I type.

Of course the guy working the shop starts talking with me and the wife about what we have and the next thing I know we have a Purple stylophora colony as big as my fist in a bag to take home! Super cheap! $50 dollars! Couldn’t pass it up!

Pictures tomorrow. Got to feed the fish and dip the coral and into the frag tank for tonight. Super happy!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s about right on canopy height. Yes my lights are very close to 12” off the water.

Went to a LFS for some Focus and some Metro. My yellow coris wrasse has a light spot on its side. Food is soaking as I type.

Of course the guy working the shop starts talking with me and the wife about what we have and the next thing I know we have a Purple stylophora colony as big as my fist in a bag to take home! Super cheap! $50 dollars! Couldn’t pass it up!

Pictures tomorrow. Got to feed the fish and dip the coral and into the frag tank for tonight. Super happy!
Awaiting your pictures. Hoping to find a decent LFS near me there aren’t a lot any more unless I go to Milwaukee. The only big box stores with tanks have great looking freshwater tanks but their salt tanks look terrible full of brown stringy junk...feel sorry for the fish.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals the wife ordered from Yourreef will be shipping soon. I will do my best to take some pictures of them after they settle.
Nice. I love dealing with John. Phenomenal source for some no name gems as well as all the designers.

Great buy for 50 bucks! My better half bought some coral as well along the ride. Including the original dendro colony. Its great to have them involved as such.
Cheers Don.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I love dealing with John. Phenomenal source for some no name gems as well as all the designers.

Great buy for 50 bucks! My better half bought some coral as well along the ride. Including the original dendro colony. Its great to have them involved as such.
Cheers Don.

They were easy to deal with!

I couldn’t pass the stylophora up for its size and price. They had numerous pieces like this that came out of a tank tear down, thus the cheap price! Right time at the right place!

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I ordered a camera phone lens filter kit yesterday and will do a small review on it when I get it. I also ordered some phosphate from loud wolf to make my own phosphate solution. I’m tired of buying premade phosphate and it will be much cheaper!

The corals we ordered will ship today and will be here tomorrow!

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I ordered a camera phone lens filter kit yesterday and will do a small review on it when I get it. I also ordered some phosphate from loud wolf to make my own phosphate solution. I’m tired of buying premade phosphate and it will be much cheaper!

The corals we ordered will ship today and will be here tomorrow!
Do you add NO3 & PO4 to your tank?
My tank is going on 8 mnths. All my parameters appear to have stabilized, I have to add Ca every now and then.
Been thinking of dosing NO3 & PO4. My NO3 stays around 2.5 and my PO4 around .003.
I don't think I have enough nutrients in my tank. I have a Duncan for ~3 mnths and it doesn't appear to be growing. I have just started directly feeding it once a week.
My Setosa Montipora appears to be growing, slowly.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you add NO3 & PO4 to your tank?
My tank is going on 8 mnths. All my parameters appear to have stabilized, I have to add Ca every now and then.
Been thinking of dosing NO3 & PO4. My NO3 stays around 2.5 and my PO4 around .003.
I don't think I have enough nutrients in my tank. I have a Duncan for ~3 mnths and it doesn't appear to be growing. I have just started directly feeding it once a week.
My Setosa Montipora appears to be growing, slowly.

I don’t dose anything on a regular basis. What I will do is add some P04 when my corals start to pale. I have always enough N03, it’s the P04 that once in a blue moon will bottom out.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New frags are in the frag tank. All look good from shipping and of course they are stressed, so no pictures of them for now. I’ll wait till I get my lens filter in the mail to take pictures. The frags will stay in the frag tank until they settle

I got this one and had pretty good reviews:

203790B8-8B1E-49E9-8604-27C903A175F7.png

We’ll see! (No pun intended! Lol)

The phosphate I ordered from loudwolf should be here soon.

Been messing around with the wave pumps in the DT. I hate the Jebao controllers! I need to find a controller solution for them! Was looking at the hydros wave engine, but I’m not sure if it would work. I may have to email Carlos at coralvue for some insight if it can work and how to use one.

Other than that the tank is doing very well. That’s all for now.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • None.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.5%

Back