FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks mine is about 9" away. I've got them set to 60% blue/20% white. right where the blur fans kick on. it's a 90.

looks like I'm on the right track raising the lights.

20190314_163041.jpg
Should i take the lenses off the MARS lights when i purchase them? And if so what height should they be at? MFG suggestion or should i go about it differently? I'll be re-modifying my canopy to accommodate for height if necessary. I'm already going to be restoring the stand because i don't have enough clearance for my skimmer.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build... Newby here as well and have possible the same tank that i will be setting up soon. Been buying stuff little by little. But i bought a Reef Octo 202-S (used/like new) and it won't fit on the bottom of the tank. It's to tight and that's without the sump(which i don't have yet and am still debating on which way to go). Tank measures 72"x 25" x 24". It's a custom built tank gifted to me 10-15 years ago. So i'll have to not only build a frame for it because the structure was weak and i reinforced it. But now i have to make it higher & of course more or less mimic your canopy design to accommodate lighting, fans etc... Any pointers? Was looking at the MARS as well because everything else is way over my budget! Please advise at your convenience and Pardon the long story LOL
Very nice build you have as well. I love it!

Okay here's my advice for your 180 gallon you plan on setting up.

Lights, you could get by with 3 black box units, running them length wise, but may need 4 for coverage running their length from front to back.
This depends on how you aquascape the tank. If aquascaped with your rock structures in the center, you could get by with 3.

Removing the lenses will help with light distribution and blending. I personally have mine hung around 12" above the water line. 60-70% blues and 20-30% whites.

With a 180, I would want to have two overflows, one in each back corner. I personally have a stock Marineland reef ready with the corner overflows. Each overflow has a "Durso" drains. The stock configuration had the returns coming up the overflows and exiting at the top of the overflow box. I converted these to emergency drains.
You don't need emergency drains, they are just a assurance in case of one of the drains gets clogged. So the DT doesn't overflow. (Wife, living room tank..... assurance! Lol)

In your case, I would at least have two overflows draining into your sump. Each needs a "Durso" to keep it from "toilet flushing" and keep the noise down. The way your tank's overflow is now, water will drop down the glass overflow (making a waterfall sound and then "gurgle" down the bulkhead into the sump.

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Lights, you could get by with 3 black box units, running them length wise, but may need 4 for coverage running their length from front to back.
This depends on how you aquascape the tank. If aquascaped with your rock structures in the center, you could get by with 3.

Removing the lenses will help with light distribution and blending. I personally have mine hung around 12" above the water line. 60-70% blues and 20-30% whites.

With a 180, I would want to have two overflows, one in each back corner. I personally have a stock Marineland reef ready with the corner overflows. Each overflow has a "Durso" drains. The stock configuration had the returns coming up the overflows and exiting at the top of the overflow box. I converted these to emergency drains.
You don't need emergency drains, they are just a assurance in case of one of the drains gets clogged. So the DT doesn't overflow. (Wife, living room tank..... assurance! Lol)

In your case, I would at least have two overflows draining into your sump. Each needs a "Durso" to keep it from "toilet flushing" and keep the noise down. The way your tank's overflow is now, water will drop down the glass overflow (making a waterfall sound and then "gurgle" down the bulkhead into the sump.
When they custom built this tank they didnt really think about all that unfortunately . I might have to drill another hole for backup drain and roll with that. Praying it wont crack...:(

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The less noise the better but if it's just cascading sound i'm ok with it... Thanks for your feed back chief. Wifey is willing to splurge on the lights now so now i'm kinda scratching my head and wondering which way i should go. i will always need a back in case any other fails anyhow so we'll see how this goes. LOL

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the top.

IMG_20190312_171006.jpg

Here's my "problem" rock. Palythoas are a "pest"! It's coming out real soon. Let the fragging begin!

Sucked out some more sand just awhile ago.
Beautiful combo piece there.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful combo piece there.

It's just over ran by palythoas and I can stand that! Lol

Finally got my weekend water change done tonight. Yes, been just that busy! Lol.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you staying bare bottomed..or putting a sand bed back in ..??

Jason,

I'm pulling it out small sections at a time and replacing it with Fiji pink.
So, bare bottom for a little while longer.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks really great Don!

you could do some serious fragging in that tank

Thanks! I've got to soon. Already have too many multiples of same coral. Need more variety. Going for more acros and acans.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back