Flow Advice and Adjustment for 75gal

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get some advice about adjustments I might make to help the flow in my 75gal. Nothing is really "wrong" per say, but it just doesn't feel right with what I have seen from other posts and videos.

Tank is about 8 months old. Planning on majority Soft/LPS and a few SPS. Main goal is to have a huge euphyllia garden on the center structure and this is why I am posting this. Also will have smaller acan, blasto, ricordea and zoa gardens throughout. I currently have a torch in my coral QT that will get moved in about a month. Want to figure out how to "fix" my flow before I move it and make sure it gets that varied dancing water movement that it needs.

Here is my equipment and estimated GPH:
Varios 4 return pump - 84% - 600gph
MP10 - ~60-70% - 600-1000pgh depending on mode
MP40 - 3% antisync with MP10 as master- 1600-1800gph depending on mode
Both vortechs have the wide flow anemone guard on

Some things I have noticed and adjustments I feel like I need to change are the return pump outlet and placement of vortechs (or replacing them with something else). Is there another way I could DIY adapt my return line? I currently have this outlet from CPR. Maybe a random flow generator or a dual line? Or should I just change the way it points and lessen the water ripples (do I need that much?)?

Would really like to keep the vortechs because I don't have money for more powerheads right now. But I am not sure if I am using them from their full potential because I don't feel like I can turn up the MP40 and the corals will be happy. I also feel like I can't really turn it down to match the MP10 either. It never goes below 1300 it seems. Should I take them off sync and just let them do their own thing? Or keep them on sync and try to adjust the power levels?

Thank you for any advice or help!

Here is a video of the current flow of my tank. Return pump is top left, MP10 on the left, MP40 on the right.

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 mp10's would have been better but i would turn the mp40 more towards where you want the sps located. and have that flow higher than the mp10. more than likely it wont matter too much until you get some coral and figit with the flow pattern.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back