Frogspawn question/help

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the best way to repair damaged frogspawn:

Out the damaged part under a rock so that algae doesn't get into the skeleton causing BJD. Then pretty much don't touch it and it will often heal itself. The more you try to mess with it, the more stressed it gets/less healthy.

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there... move it down to a lower flow and light area... i included a pic of mine... I have had this coral for 5 years. It’s on the lower left, around 10 inches in diameter...I heard a few lps corals have adverse reactions to dips and you have to be very careful when you dip them... I don’t know why that is but i suspect that the large surface area of flesh is extremely permeable and that medicine, instead of seawater which it is used to, is entering the coral too fast and at great quantity. Maybe you should try and dip in half the strength....
e814b9bc6c1a211026ce8bf9d77f7654.jpg

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK good idea, will do tonight! I'm also just very very so frustrated right now BC well here we go....when i cycled my tank, I never had any kind of bloom at all, and 8 months later I start getting brown all over the sandbed.... Than the brown on the sand stayed around for a few weeks as i cut down feeding and lighting and I feed once a day and not heavy at all and I use coral frenzy maybe once a week if that! It looked as if it WS starting to dissapate as I also increased the flow, but the next night I bent down and noticed there were tiny air bubbles all over the sandbed and than some long brown looked like blown up tentacles waving around and I realized that I have gotten dinoflaggattes !!!! Well over the past few weeks I've really cutdown feedings and lighting and made a neat tool where I attached airline hose to a long skinny pole thing and zip tied it to it so I can carefully suck those little air bubbles off the sandbed and some rocks and also the brown stringy algae on the rocks the past month now! Well everything seemed to be getting a lot better! I even got a fighting conch that seems to help clean the sandbed! Well when I started to mix some saltwater the first time I got a 10 gallon sterilite bin and I just found out today that the bucket or barrell needs to be food grade as I did not know! I made a batch the other night and I let it sit for 24 hours and mix with a heater set on 78....so the next day I do a water change and repeat with that barrell. The next day on this second batch of water I'm mixing I go to the sterilite bin and I smell a very chemically plasticy smell and where the water had evaporated there was this yellow goo all over the bin on the inside! I immedietly ran to Walmart and go a good food grade bucket and just did a water change with good water that mixed perfectly. But when I was doing this water change tonight I've noticed the tiny little air bubbles all over the sandbed again where brown is at!!! And I see it on some rocks and some long freaking brown algae with bubbles at the ends and small air bubbles close to corals but mainly on the sandbed! I'm worried that the very first batch I mixed in that stupid sterilite bin may have cause this or they weren't gone completely and the fighting conch moves around a good bit and he dislodged some of the spores in the tiny air bubbles and they spread! The past 3 days I've been using the high output t5 again but I'm thinking about being done with that again for a bit! I'm calling out to anyone and everyone on this one BC I've read its made people get out of the hobby and this stuff has really done a number on me tonight and just want it gone! I've got healthy corals and a beautiful rose bubble tip anemone and really don't want to get out of this hobby, but don't want some stupid algae killing my beauties lol as well!!!! Someone please tell me a good course of action

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the best way to repair damaged frogspawn:

Out the damaged part under a rock so that algae doesn't get into the skeleton causing BJD. Then pretty much don't touch it and it will often heal itself. The more you try to mess with it, the more stressed it gets/less healthy.

Out the damaged part? What do u mean?

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp ate my LPS. It's eating your frogspawn. Get it out of there.

Mega zombie,my LFS sold me a camel shrimp! It looks like a peppermint shrimp but I saw him eating my frogspawn or he ripped it and I immediatly took him back!!! I thought my cleaner shrimp was but I watched him up close and he's cleaning it

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there... move it down to a lower flow and light area... i included a pic of mine... I have had this coral for 5 years. It’s on the lower left, around 10 inches in diameter...I heard a few lps corals have adverse reactions to dips and you have to be very careful when you dip them... I don’t know why that is but i suspect that the large surface area of flesh is extremely permeable and that medicine, instead of seawater which it is used to, is entering the coral too fast and at great quantity. Maybe you should try and dip in half the strength....

Imworried to put him on my sandbed right now BC of all the brown dinoflaggalettes getting worse there! I'm afraid it would kill it! But it hasn't reached anywhere near anywhere close to any of my corals and maybe one or two bubbles on the rocks everywhere! So mainly sandbed

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sea monster, what kind of lights do you have??

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for so many questions just trying to tackle all my issues with my tank in one thread lol.....would chemiclean help clear up the brown all over the sand that's now got little air bubbles on it? Also, would getting a UV sterilizer from Petco, I believe its the green killing machine? Any reviews, also, I was thinking of going with the coralife brand, aqua, or turbo twist. But not sure....also one more question and I promise that's it...I bought a rock that my LFS had up front selling a big bin of rocks...the purple rocks are from tanks and the other reg rocks were from the ocean, which I was told they were from tanks but later told was from the ocean! Any who, It has been sitting in a container with fresh saltwater at 1.026 after I boiled it to kill anything on it considering it was from the ocean and has been sitting in the container now,with a power head, for 2 weeks...is it safe to put in my tank now? Also, I put the frogspawn with the rock that its on under the arc in my display tank where algae doesn't get to BC of no light...is that what you mean, thaitopher?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months is still young for a tank. Do you stir up your sand at all. I use the turkey baster that I feed with to mix my sand and blow off my rocks. This helps get the leftover food and waste into the water column. IMO, the more equipment and chemicals you add to your system, the more potential for problems and the harder it is to find a solution. What are your phosphates? Do you use a skimmer and if so, do you skim wet or dry. Skimming wet removes more organics from the water column.

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see, I do use a baster to blow of rocks that may catch detritus or leftover food. I don't stir up the sand BC my huge narssius snails and my fighting conch really stir up the sand a lot!! The only chemicals that I have put in, BC I was just getting started chemically with corals, was stuff to raise the alkalinity, which was really low and now is at 9, my calcium stays at 450, and magnesium which I just tested was only 300!! So I started a very slow drip of only about 5 teaspoons which equals only 25 grams which will only raise it about 100 mg to 400 which is still very low but haven't had any problems and its the most I can put in for one day the bottle says!! But I will slowly raise it to the level it should be at! I have a reef octo 100 HOB that skims like a boss!! And I just tested my phosphates and they are 0-0.01

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess it would be a wet skimmer since it hangs on the back but the skimming is in the tank along with the pump

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think that adding this rock would be ok ? Now? I mean I boiled it and than let it sit in saltwater with a power head for a week

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back