Frogspawn question/help

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see, I do use a baster to blow of rocks that may catch detritus or leftover food. I don't stir up the sand BC my huge narssius snails and my fighting conch really stir up the sand a lot!! The only chemicals that I have put in, BC I was just getting started chemically with corals, was stuff to raise the alkalinity, which was really low and now is at 9, my calcium stays at 450, and magnesium which I just tested was only 300!! So I started a very slow drip of only about 5 teaspoons which equals only 25 grams which will only raise it about 100 mg to 400 which is still very low but haven't had any problems and its the most I can put in for one day the bottle says!! But I will slowly raise it to the level it should be at! I have a reef octo 100 HOB that skims like a boss!! And I just tested my phosphates and they are 0-0.01

I would retest the magnesium, 300 is probably a false reading.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont ever boil rock! It can let off some really nasty stuff that can make you very sick.

I agree, but the term is also used when rock is out through numerous Acid/base and wash baths prior to cycling.

-Zack, who prefers live rock

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a member told me to just set it in very hot water, being from the ocean, to kill anything like aiptasia that may be on it or any pests. Than set it outside to dry it for a bit, than put it in freshly mixed rodi saltwater with a power head for a week and test for amm and nitrate and they all tested 0, so I put it in!! My LFS also told me that it was from the ocean and I need to rinse it off and put it in but there would have been a spike or re-cycle that way BC there would be too much die off that way

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cool freshwater soak would have been equally effective. The osmotic shock of hypertonic cells becoming hypotonic, is more likely to cause death than the amount of heat that would have reached inner crevices of the rock.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat and wet porous rocks of any kind is a terrible idea.

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used the salifert magnesium test kit?
And I just read it wrong it obviously wasn't 300. That would be bad lol......I have a question, the salifert test kit says to twist the long plastic tip on the syringe to suck up 1.0 ml of mg-3 but videos I watch of people, the don't use it and get all the air out of the syringe, buuuut the test kit instructions says that the air layer between the black piston and the liquid is normal and it won't influence the test. And I did it both ways just to see and there is a difference of 45ppm, And I kinda like to be precise...

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried about that rock or any of my rocks releasing phosphates? I also got a salifert test kit for phosphates and it was 0

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess it would be a wet skimmer since it hangs on the back but the skimming is in the tank along with the pump

Wet vs dry skimming has nothing to do with where the skimmer is, it has to do with the concentration of the skimmate. Wet skimming will look like tea, while dry skimming will be a very dark green/brown. Wet skimming pulls more organics out of the water, but also pulls more water out of the tank.

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! When I clean the cup and than it collects it looks like tea and after a few collections it gets a lot darker from the build up

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used the salifert magnesium test kit?
And I just read it wrong it obviously wasn't 300. That would be bad lol......I have a question, the salifert test kit says to twist the long plastic tip on the syringe to suck up 1.0 ml of mg-3 but videos I watch of people, the don't use it and get all the air out of the syringe, buuuut the test kit instructions says that the air layer between the black piston and the liquid is normal and it won't influence the test. And I did it both ways just to see and there is a difference of 45ppm, And I kinda like to be precise...

I use salifert tests. They are a good value and good accuracy. As long as the regent is starting at the 1.0ml mark i dont see a difference using or not using. The plastic cap ime levels the syringe at 1.0 without playing it.
Off you may lose precision as each test might be off a few micro-liters from each other.
The important thing is to do the tests the same each time.

None of these tests are perfect there is some margin of error what you want is to be with in the range of nsw and be able to reproduce the same results if you did the test again.(dont do 2 tests each time, i today you have 1290 mg tomorrow 1354 mg. You should assume second test verified the first and have a margin of error of +/-5% and no corrective action needed :)

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Thanks Lot man! Really clarified a lot there!
OK so I think I may have a problem or it may be trying to heal itself, I'm not sure but I'm very bummed out now BC I never ever should of used that freaking seachem reef dip! Never!! I had no idea it was going to make my frogspawn slime and almost kill it like that!!! There was a freaking tear where the skeleton meets the tentacles And thought it would help it heal, as it said on the bottle!!!!!! Now I look at my frogspawn and one head is open just a little like it was starting to do good and the other head is freaking sucked in all the way and half of one head is Deadish looking with the other part green tentacles! The dead part has some new growth of the white skeleton trying to grow over it but I saw a small piece of tentacle come off where the tentacles were at that's now new growth of skeleton! I can't do anything to help but keep my parameters in check! Im posting two pictures and maybe you can see it! Its the head on the left in the pictures. I tried to take one from above the water so someone could maybe see the blackish area where the tentacles used to be at and the new skeleton growth like its trying to heal itself! Again, If i never would of dipped him in that stupid dip and he would be good right now and healthy! Sucks!!!!!! Someone tell me that this is normal in frogspawns trying to heal!!!!! :(:(:(:(:( #freakingbummed

IMG_20180113_201324.jpg
IMG_20180113_201338.jpg

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Thanks Lot man! Really clarified a lot there!
OK so I think I may have a problem or it may be trying to heal itself, I'm not sure but I'm very bummed out now BC I never ever should of used that freaking seachem reef dip! Never!! I had no idea it was going to make my frogspawn slime and almost kill it like that!!! There was a freaking tear where the skeleton meets the tentacles And thought it would help it heal, as it said on the bottle!!!!!! Now I look at my frogspawn and one head is open just a little like it was starting to do good and the other head is freaking sucked in all the way and half of one head is Deadish looking with the other part green tentacles! The dead part has some new growth of the white skeleton trying to grow over it but I saw a small piece of tentacle come off where the tentacles were at that's now new growth of skeleton! I can't do anything to help but keep my parameters in check! Im posting two pictures and maybe you can see it! Its the head on the left in the pictures. I tried to take one from above the water so someone could maybe see the blackish area where the tentacles used to be at and the new skeleton growth like its trying to heal itself! Again, If i never would of dipped him in that stupid dip and he would be good right now and healthy! Sucks!!!!!! Someone tell me that this is normal in frogspawns trying to heal!!!!! :(:(:(:(:( #freakingbummed

IMG_20180113_201324.jpg
IMG_20180113_201338.jpg

We all make mistakes. about a month after i got mine it started a third head. I decided to rearrange my rock work. the change in flow and light, third head vanished few weeks later. But as a whole it acclimated and has grown since then.

Give it time, frogspawn can be surprisingly resilient. It may still get better :).

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what mine did!! I got it with two heads and it started to grow a third head but just stopped BC I took him down for a sec to rearrange some rock bc of my pistol shrimp lol and when I got him I meant to buy the magnesium, calcium, and kh tests but didn't have the money, I just tested what I could and kept up water changes! It should say on that bottle on the Seachem reef dip, DO NOT DIP FROGSPAWN CORALS, AS IT MAY MELT/KILL THEM! I should of just let him heal his natural way with the help of the cleaner! God he was getting so big and stretching out far! So sad! :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back