OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly getting very very tired of dealing with this brown on the sand and it clumps up in some spots and when it gets long enough light or I put my high output wave point on the tank, air bubbles starts to form on the sandbed!! Not to mention the long bubbly brown algae that are growing in some random spots....it tends to grow on the bottom front left side where the rocks are close together I'm guessing bc stuff settles easy there bc the flow can't get in there very well...would it help to add some more flow and maybe space put those few rocks a little better so things don't settle there? Also tends to grow under my filter on the sand bed! And I'm thinking bc it may be a dead spot? Shouldn't be but I only have a Tidal 110 on my 75 gallon...and only bc I have two hydor powerheads, one 600gph and 400gph .....I need to increase the flow I'm guessing and make sure all spots get flow and would it hurt to get another filter and maybe another filter on top of that specifically for chaeto? I'm just getting tired of dealing with the brown sand bed off and on....Trying to fix the problem but seems like everything I do just isn't working....:(

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it is Dino’s and not Cyano? Sounds like Cyano to me. Any pictures?
I would recommend reading the first post here to see if your Dino looking algae is truly Dino’s. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/
-Zack

Its Dino's for sure...it looks like it starts off as cyano but when you look at it down low and move angles you can see all the air bubbles and on the rocks the stuff that spurts up is long a brown and has an air bubble at the tip...I promise I've done the research....I wake up this morning to check on things and my frogspawns head on the left the tentacles are now completely gone and dunno what I should do with it? Any suggestions?

IMG_20180114_152622.jpg

IMG_20180114_152613.jpg

IMG_20180114_152613.jpg

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like Polyp Bailout. A last ditch effort for the coral to save itself before it dies. I’m not sure what caused it. Could have been a wonky parameter, could have been stress induced, could have been an unknown factor.

-Zack, who just lost a Frogspawn to PB.

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm still a beginner in this hobby, I apologize for all the questions that I have, just really want to make sure I know what's going on and that I'm doing things the correct way....

No need to apologize! That’s why we are here!

-Zack

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, well I'm keeping my parameters in check as far as what my FG needs to grow, but what else should I do to help? It looks like all the tenticles are gone and the head looks splintered in and all you can see is the white skeleton....will this head grow back any? The other head looks to be somewhat healthy but kinda iffy as I dipped the whole coral so I'm kinda scared the other side would do the same?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately one head has bailed out and won’t grow back. Try and watch the other to see if it improves.

-Zack

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have to ask this, bc I got a four stage rodi unit the other week and.have set it up and flushed it like instructed and have only made about 15 gallons so far and I've been.mixing in a good grade 5 gallon bucket and I've got a top of it with a hole in the lid so the tubing can drop water in when needed and to keep and dust of anything out...I've just checked water thats been mixing for about 2 days and there is all kind of brown gunk on the sides and crap in the water , it reads less than .02 on my meter when I put water made straight from the rodi system into a small bowl but I obviously can't have this brown crap in my tank!! Has anyone experienced this? Am I using the wrong bucket or mixing container?
IMG_20180116_174307.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its the mixing bucket, i wouldnt worry much
a lot of salt mixes leave some stuff behind. Every now and then i clean my mixing containers. If unsure its from the salt take a tds reading of the unmixed di water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back