Status
Not open for further replies.

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my gold maxima clam has a baby clam now .. i guess when i tried to breed her it worked .. i have had her since she was about 2" she is about 6 or 7 inches now . does anyone know how many they will have ? i will take a pic of it when i can borrow my buddies water cam again this week and post pix ..

i did read about how to breed them just didnt really think it worked out ..

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please share your experiences on how you did it and so on?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see some pic's, I haven't ever heard of this happening before in home aquaria.

iReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
that sounds freaken cool. tagging along

OP
OP
fish&corals

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone heres a idea of how it happen i will try to answer all and everyone's questions as they come in and will do updates all the time .. i borrowed a book out of our club library here in bervard county called space coast reef club .. it was a book on clams by daniel knop .. it was pretty much a guild to id them and care for them in a closed system .. as i read through the book it said that it can be done with another clam so i researched it more on the internet to find out more info on it and when i did , i went to a LFS here and picked up another clam from them it was smaller then what i had ... as i read they said for you to breed a clam they had to be with-in 5" or less but be careful they can fight .. so i did that was just like a science project to me .. but the clam i got died about 3 months later .. come to find out with a lil more reading if they do breed the other clam will die off cause something to do with the breeder clam is feeding the clam that will host the babies .. but no where in the book or on the net does it say how many they will have .. but its been about 8 months since the other clam passed .. but i will post pix of them for sure .. i still cant tell the color of it yet cause its still small .. but whats really cool is it is footed to her shell ...

Last edited:

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just have a hitch hiker, I just got in 2 maxima clams from pacific east aquaculture, One clam came in with a small clam on it's shell. and I doubt that it's even a maxima. Clams in the wild release millions of eggs and sperm.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just have a hitch hiker, I just got in 2 maxima clams from pacific east aquaculture, One clam came in with a small clam on it's shell. and I doubt that it's even a maxima. Clams in the wild release millions of eggs and sperm.

Cool can I see pic's of this one too?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! If you actually bred them,you could be onto something very positive for the hobby! So we dont have to harvest as many from the ocean..

I would also like to see a picture

OP
OP
fish&corals

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here are some pix .. i will get my friends water cam this weekend and take some better shots ... sorry they are kind of whacked out taken with my droid .. it is under a 1/2 " right now . i tried to get 2 different angles on it

Attachments

• 2011-07-05 18.27.42.jpg
    2011-07-05 18.27.42.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 691
  • 2011-07-05 18.27.50.jpg
    2011-07-05 18.27.50.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds kool, need better pics though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back