ReefKnight2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Green Haddoni Carpet Anemone (5-9”) that will arrive soon. It was a bit of an impulse buy once I saw they had them in stock and on sale. I’ve considered adding one for a while but never jumped on it. The system is a WB220.6, with established soft, LPS, and SPS corals. I have encountered various forms, with folks saying carpet anemones need extreme care and others saying they are more manageable. I am no newbie to the reefing hobby, but I would not rate myself as a "pro" either.

I am looking for any advice anyone with carpet anemones would be willing to share!

I know of the intense sting, ability to walk around, and risk posed to fish. I am looking for advice on general care to keep it happy.

Tank Specs:

WB220.6
4x AI Primes (I could install two more that I have on hand, but I haven't at this point)
UV 60 Watt
Nyos 160 skimmer
ReefMat 1200
Refugium
Automatic water change system (Neptune Dos) 20gal/week changed
Automatic ATO resivior filler and ATO
Kalwasser 24hr drip dosing via Echotech Versa
Dual reactor (GFO & Carbon ready)
Flow 1x ReefWave 45, 2x MP40 sized wavemakers
Apex monitoring

Tank Age:
The tank originated as a 75-gallon cube that operated for over a year. Contents from the 75-gallon were moved into this system seven months ago as I wanted to upgrade to a larger volume tank. The system is mature and covered in coralline and biodiversity.

Testing:
Salinity 1.025
Temp 77-78
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1500
Alkalinity 9.5
pH 8.0-8.1
Nitrate 20
Phosphate 0.10

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.32.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.31.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.41.27 PM.png

Attachments

• IMG_7762.MOV
    23.3 MB

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Green Haddoni Carpet Anemone (5-9”) that will arrive soon. It was a bit of an impulse buy once I saw they had them in stock and on sale. I’ve considered adding one for a while but never jumped on it. The system is a WB220.6, with established soft, LPS, and SPS corals. I have encountered various forms, with folks saying carpet anemones need extreme care and others saying they are more manageable. I am no newbie to the reefing hobby, but I would not rate myself as a "pro" either.

I am looking for any advice anyone with carpet anemones would be willing to share!

I know of the intense sting, ability to walk around, and risk posed to fish. I am looking for advice on general care to keep it happy.

Tank Specs:

WB220.6
4x AI Primes (I could install two more that I have on hand, but I haven't at this point)
UV 60 Watt
Nyos 160 skimmer
ReefMat 1200
Refugium
Automatic water change system (Neptune Dos) 20gal/week changed
Automatic ATO resivior filler and ATO
Kalwasser 24hr drip dosing via Echotech Versa
Dual reactor (GFO & Carbon ready)
Flow 1x ReefWave 45, 2x MP40 sized wavemakers
Apex monitoring

Tank Age:
The tank originated as a 75-gallon cube that operated for over a year. Contents from the 75-gallon were moved into this system seven months ago as I wanted to upgrade to a larger volume tank. The system is mature and covered in coralline and biodiversity.

Testing:
Salinity 1.025
Temp 77-78
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1500
Alkalinity 9.5
pH 8.0-8.1
Nitrate 20
Phosphate 0.10

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.32.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.31.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.41.27 PM.png
Beautiful setup........haddoni anemone I like to refer to them as "Saddle" anemone.....where Carpets are more gigantea....anyway......a good qt process for your haddoni is a medication called "Cipro". The long name you can find.....ends in oxin like ciprofloxin or something cool like that:)......looked it up....I was close....it's ciprofloxacin. A five day qt to condition the anemone is recommended. They get really big and fast.....it's gonna wreak some havoc on that tank, but if you love it....why not.

OP
OP
ReefKnight2

ReefKnight2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup........haddoni anemone I like to refer to them as "Saddle" anemone.....where Carpets are more gigantea....anyway......a good qt process for your haddoni is a medication called "Cipro". The long name you can find.....ends in oxin like ciprofloxin or something cool like that:)......looked it up....I was close....it's ciprofloxacin. A five day qt to condition the anemone is recommended. They get really big and fast.....it's gonna wreak some havoc on that tank, but if you love it....why not.
Thanks for the insight! Do you have any personal experience with them? Most of the coral in the tank can be moved around if the anemone wants to walk. I've seen several videos of folks with large mixed reef systems having them live peacefully among the inhabitants. Hopefully, this one will do the same.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had experience with them. I kept a 240 specifically for saddles and clowns and some damsels too. I’ve also imported and sold thousands for sure. Ive come across them in the wild too which really is impressive. I’ve seen many employees burned by them when touching but everyone is different and they typically don’t hurt me. I’ve seen large tangs fall victim to their sting. My biggest concern for you looking at your sweet tank is the amount of space the anemone will take up. Nothing is forever and you could re-home if and when the anemone becomes too much. They are awesome and fun to keep.

OP
OP
ReefKnight2

ReefKnight2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed they dont really care for high flow. They move around a lot too.
Do you currently have one, or have you had one?
I have had experience with them. I kept a 240 specifically for saddles and clowns and some damsels too. I’ve also imported and sold thousands for sure. Ive come across them in the wild too which really is impressive. I’ve seen many employees burned by them when touching but everyone is different and they typically don’t hurt me. I’ve seen large tangs fall victim to their sting. My biggest concern for you looking at your sweet tank is the amount of space the anemone will take up. Nothing is forever and you could re-home if and when the anemone becomes too much. They are awesome and fun to keep.
What would you say in the way of lighting requirements?

OP
OP
ReefKnight2

ReefKnight2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed they dont really care for high flow. They move around a lot too.
What would you say their light requirements are?

doctormark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I currently have 8 Haddoni anemones. They are in a carpet only tank. Once acclimated and treated with antibiotics they are very hearty anemones. The main drawback is they are deadly to tank mates. They will eat your fish. So it is more an ethical issue if you are willing to subject your fish to being trapped in a box with a predator. I recommend you not try in your beautiful aquarium. If you have the ability to set up another tank I would highly recommend it. PM me for some care tips and antibiotic treatment .

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! Lemme see that giant species specific tank!

What would you say their light requirements are?
That 240g saddle anemone tank was back in the late 80’s early 90’s. I wish I had photos of it.

regarding the lighting requirement, I found this:

• LIGHT: MODERATE-HIGH (200-300 par) is what we find best. Finding the exact amount to keep them happy will require some experimentation. Overall these anemones seem adaptable to a variety of lighting conditions. You can learn more about Lighting and it's overall impact on your reef tank in our article Lighting and your Reef Tank
  • FOOD: We haven't noticed that any specific feeding strategy is required for these anemones but they are aggressive eaters and will benefit greatly from spot feeding meaty foods like mysis or brine. Like most anemones they capture nutrients from the water and will do best when supplied a healthy amount of food. Our method is high import, high export. You can learn more about Feeding and Filtration in our article Feeding, Filtration and your Reef Tank.
  • FLOW: LOW-MODERATE. When acclimating them we recommend killing the flow makers for a bit so they can bury their foot and attach safely without getting tossed around. Too much flow, especially direct flow, can cause damage to the coral's tissue or an inability to capture food. You can read more about Flow and its overall impact on your reef tank in our article Flow and your Reef Tank
  • DIFFICULTY: EXPERT. Haddoni carpet anemones can be dangerous to other inhabitants of your aquarium. They are huge, and can go for 'walks' and there for require a large display tank. The display that keeps a Haddoni Carpet anemone should be designed with it in mind as the show piece. These anemones require a thick sand bed of 3-5" for best results. Special care should be taken with flow makers and wave pumps. They are susceptible to infections during transit, and can move about the aquarium when they decide a change of scenery is in order. This means all flow makers should be guarded or the aquarium should be designed with these animals in mind. Anemones do not consume Alkalinity and Calcium and do not lay a calcium carbonate skeleton and so these parameters will not require extreme maintenance to keep anemones successfully. Like with all corals, specimens have been seen to do well in captivity when the right combination of Food/Light/Flow and Filtration are achieved.

OP
OP
ReefKnight2

ReefKnight2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 240g saddle anemone tank was back in the late 80’s early 90’s. I wish I had photos of it.

regarding the lighting requirement, I found this:

• LIGHT: MODERATE-HIGH (200-300 par) is what we find best. Finding the exact amount to keep them happy will require some experimentation. Overall these anemones seem adaptable to a variety of lighting conditions. You can learn more about Lighting and it's overall impact on your reef tank in our article Lighting and your Reef Tank
  • FOOD: We haven't noticed that any specific feeding strategy is required for these anemones but they are aggressive eaters and will benefit greatly from spot feeding meaty foods like mysis or brine. Like most anemones they capture nutrients from the water and will do best when supplied a healthy amount of food. Our method is high import, high export. You can learn more about Feeding and Filtration in our article Feeding, Filtration and your Reef Tank.
  • FLOW: LOW-MODERATE. When acclimating them we recommend killing the flow makers for a bit so they can bury their foot and attach safely without getting tossed around. Too much flow, especially direct flow, can cause damage to the coral's tissue or an inability to capture food. You can read more about Flow and its overall impact on your reef tank in our article Flow and your Reef Tank
  • DIFFICULTY: EXPERT. Haddoni carpet anemones can be dangerous to other inhabitants of your aquarium. They are huge, and can go for 'walks' and there for require a large display tank. The display that keeps a Haddoni Carpet anemone should be designed with it in mind as the show piece. These anemones require a thick sand bed of 3-5" for best results. Special care should be taken with flow makers and wave pumps. They are susceptible to infections during transit, and can move about the aquarium when they decide a change of scenery is in order. This means all flow makers should be guarded or the aquarium should be designed with these animals in mind. Anemones do not consume Alkalinity and Calcium and do not lay a calcium carbonate skeleton and so these parameters will not require extreme maintenance to keep anemones successfully. Like with all corals, specimens have been seen to do well in captivity when the right combination of Food/Light/Flow and Filtration are achieved.
Thanks for sharing the article. I have come across that article regarding lighting. I was hoping to have someone provide their experience personally with lighting needs.

OP
OP
ReefKnight2

ReefKnight2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P
Hello, I currently have 8 Haddoni anemones. They are in a carpet only tank. Once acclimated and treated with antibiotics they are very hearty anemones. The main drawback is they are deadly to tank mates. They will eat your fish. So it is more an ethical issue if you are willing to subject your fish to being trapped in a box with a predator. I recommend you not try in your beautiful aquarium. If you have the ability to set up another tank I would highly recommend it. PM me for some care tips and antibiotic treatment

PM sent!

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the article. I have come across that article regarding lighting. I was hoping to have someone provide their experience personally with lighting needs.
I think you can trust that article. It’s pretty much what I would have said anyway. I use to use vho lighting. These anemones are not deep water so they will adapt to your lighting even if stronger than they are used to. They just move until they find their comfort zone.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would say that over the past 30 years, I’ve kept them under everything from metal halides, T-5, Kessil 360’s, etc. it’s not gonna matter that much. Feeding and water quality will be your long term concerns.

OP
OP
ReefKnight2

ReefKnight2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would say that over the past 30 years, I’ve kept them under everything from metal halides, T-5, Kessil 360’s, etc. it’s not gonna matter that much. Feeding and water quality will be your long term concerns.
I'm considering NOT putting it in the WB220 but instead in my WB Cube 20, which would be species-specific. The anemone is to be 5-9", buying me some time before it grows too large. I'm getting concerned with everyone saying it will eat all my fish. I wouldn't mind a few small fish losses, but I would be upset if I lost any big ones.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering NOT putting it in the WB220 but instead in my WB Cube 20, which would be species-specific. The anemone is to be 5-9", buying me some time before it grows too large. I'm getting concerned with everyone saying it will eat all my fish. I wouldn't mind a few small fish losses, but I would be upset if I lost any big ones.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I haven’t kept one in 20 years, but mine did catch several fish, big and small. This is why I haven’t kept one in 20 years. I lost mine before I could rehome it, while I was away, in one of Californians rolling brownouts they were doing back then. :rolleyes:

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Great plan! A nice cube with a pendant light would be awesome! I did that with a ritteri once and threw a dozen domino damsels in there with it. Was an awesome display! I hung a 250 watt metal halide over it with my favorite 10k iwasaki bulb. Can’t beat that shimmer on a white sand bottom.

OP
OP
ReefKnight2

ReefKnight2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great plan! A nice cube with a pendant light would be awesome! I did that with a ritteri once and threw a dozen domino damsels in there with it. Was an awesome display! I hung a 250 watt metal halide over it with my favorite 10k iwasaki bulb. Can’t beat that shimmer on a white sand bottom.
I agree. It will look fantastic, especially if I get a clownfish pair. I plan on having an AI prime 16HD over the tank. Will that be enough? I could order a Kessil 360 if needed, but I would prefer not to spend $500 extra and use one of the many extra Primes I have lying around.

What do you recommend for sand bed depth?

My main tank is all automated, including water changes. How often do you suggest doing water changes in the Cube 20?

Thanks!

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It will look fantastic, especially if I get a clownfish pair. I plan on having an AI prime 16HD over the tank. Will that be enough? I could order a Kessil 360 if needed, but I would prefer not to spend $500 extra and use one of the many extra Primes I have lying around.

What do you recommend for sand bed depth?

My main tank is all automated, including water changes. How often do you suggest doing water changes in the Cube 20?

Thanks!
Sand bed is personal preference......for this tanks I would go deep 4"......your lighting sounds good!

Back