OP
OP
Luigi M. Scollo

Luigi M. Scollo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set it up a week ago, I'm having the water tested tomorrow and if all is well will start adding the first fish... The mental list goes like this so far:

- Carpet Anemone
- 2 Small Percula Clown Fish
- Flame Angel
- Small Yellow Tang
- Small Snowflake Eel
- Coral Banded Shrimp
- Small Horseshoe Crab
- Mushrooms
- Electric Scallop

Any thoughts?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5199.JPG

Sounds awesome, those lucky kids!

This may sound crazy to a lot of people but have a look at aquariumdepot. It sounds crazy because there stuff is touch and go. Some DOA's, and always hitchhiking unwanted critters. So that in mind the frags are very affordable, but always opt for the quickest method of delivery.

You may already know this stuff but just thought I would cover it.
Be sure to dip your corals but dont dip inverts or corals with inverts attached. I would start with soft corals. Leathers, mushrooms, Xenia, and palys are all good starters and the kids will love them.

I would wait a little before putting coral in the tank. After your reading some nitrates and zero ammonia, add copepods, and phytoplankton. Wait. Test. Add 1-2 fish. Wait. Test. Add some astrea/turbo snails, a hermit, or other reef safe critter that eats detritus/algae. Wait. Test. Add your first corals. You dont need to add fish but it can assist in feeding the entire system. Be careful on how much you feed your tank.

A lot of waiting and a lot of testing, but worth it and teaches kids and "US" a valuable lesson.

A real smart guy once said "if your think your going slow, go slower".

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set it up a week ago, I'm having the water tested tomorrow and if all is well will start adding the first fish... The mental list goes like this so far:

- Carpet Anemone
- Flame Angel
- Small Yellow Tang
- Small Snowflake Eel
- Coral Banded Shrimp
- Small Horseshoe Crab
- Mushrooms
- Electric Scallop

Any thoughts?

How many gallons? I would scratch that carpet nem, flame angel, tang, eel, CB shrimp, horseshoe crab, and scallop. For many reasons. But depends on level your at and size tank, and time your adding these animals.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Carpet Anemone
- Flame Angel
- Small Yellow Tang
- Small Snowflake Eel
- Coral Banded Shrimp
- Small Horseshoe Crab
- Mushrooms
- Electric Scallop

Any thoughts?

And its wayyyyy to soon!

OP
OP
Luigi M. Scollo

Luigi M. Scollo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too soon...Patience is the key with this hobby......How many gallons?

It's only 13 gallons. I used 9lbs of live rock, live sand (Hawaiian), Fritz live nitrifying bacteria and saltwater from the store. Aside from a couple of hitchiking aiptasias, and something I am yet to recognize, everything is looking great so far... I'm starting to get some algae so I'm getting ready to get at least a damsel and/or a hermit crab to help me control it. I used to have a beautiful 30 gallon plexiglass reef tank with a lot of cool stuff (blue ring octopus, snowflake eel, lion fish, etc.) but I haven't set up a saltwater tank since 1994, I truly appreciate all advice and suggestions.

OP
OP
Luigi M. Scollo

Luigi M. Scollo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Question:

The guy at the nearest tropical fish store (20 miles away) told me the live rock and live sand would act as my filter and I did not need any bioballs or ceramic in the built-in wet/dry filter. I'm thinking about ordering them from Amazon, I don't want to offend or upset my new supplier but I want to make sure I do it right; all I have in the filter right now is a bag of carbon.

Wish List:
- Carpet Anemone
- Flame Angel
- Small Yellow Tang
- Mandarin Goby
- Small Snowflake Eel
- Coral Banded Shrimp
- Small Horseshoe Crab
- Mushrooms
- Electric Flame Scallop

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only 13 gallons. I used 9lbs of live rock, live sand (Hawaiian), Fritz live nitrifying bacteria and saltwater from the store. Aside from a couple of hitchiking aiptasias, and something I am yet to recognize, everything is looking great so far... I'm starting to get some algae so I'm getting ready to get at least a damsel and/or a hermit crab to help me control it. I used to have a beautiful 30 gallon plexiglass reef tank with a lot of cool stuff (blue ring octopus, snowflake eel, lion fish, etc.) but I haven't set up a saltwater tank since 1994, I truly appreciate all advice and suggestions.

I would do the pair of clowns and call it good with fish. Opt out of the carpet nem it will out grow that tank and possibly eat the fish. Replace with a rock nem or BTA if you really want a nem. The clown will learn to live it various corals. The scallop requires specific micron food called phytoplankton as regular food. If not fed this it will die within 6 month to a year. CB shrimp is a little aggresive for a small tank imo and a cleaner would be a better choice. Brittle starfish are cool and beni. Leathers grow fast and will fill that tank fast so might not be best. Maybe 1 leather then trade it in at LFS. Mushrooms zoas and palys, and some LPS/SPS down the road.

OP
OP
Luigi M. Scollo

Luigi M. Scollo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way too much for a 13 gal. And way too soon buddy
I know, I know... I'm going to have to pick and choose from that list, but I didn't mean everything at once, lol... that would be how I want it to look when it is done if it was possible, if not, it's time to talk the wife into a 30 gallon reef tank and turn this one into a seahorse tank. I'm setting this up for my kids to enjoy, they are 5 and 6, but I think I am waaay more excited about this than they are, lol.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Question:

The guy at the nearest tropical fish store (20 miles away) told me the live rock and live sand would act as my filter and I did not need any bioballs or ceramic in the built-in wet/dry filter. I'm thinking about ordering them from Amazon, I don't want to offend or upset my new supplier but I want to make sure I do it right; all I have in the filter right now is a bag of carbon.

Wish List:
- Carpet Anemone
- Flame Angel
- Small Yellow Tang
- Mandarin Goby
- Small Snowflake Eel
- Coral Banded Shrimp
- Small Horseshoe Crab
- Mushrooms
- Electric Flame Scallop

I would still put the ceramic or live rock rubble in the filter. Also a mechanical sponge. What are ypu using for light and flow?

Back