Hello from Miami

ChrisSen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am kind of new to the hobby. I had simple SMALL freshwater tanks forever. Mostly Betas.

Well, last October, our last Beta died of old age at 4.5 years. He lived his whole life in a 1.5 gallon cheapo PLASTIC tank with no light, no filters, and monthly 100% water changes where I rinsed down everything in his tank, scrubbed the tank with Palmolive and re-assembled everything with water out of the fridge's built in carbon filter. That was my entire routine. No chemicals or water treatment.

So anyways, while out with the wife and kids looking for a new fish tank and maybe build a small school of neon tetras or something in a *gasp* 10 gallon tank , I fell in love with the saltwater aisles at the store. (We were at an LFS, not a Petco or anything)

Before even leaving the store and without looking up anything, I, with the help of a 20-something LFS worker, spent several times our expected budget, rounded up a Biocube 16 with sand, water buckets, some starting filters, live rock, basic supplies and went home. That... helpful but lying/uninformed individual... told me I needed a day of cycling... so I went back and bought 4 unsuspecting victims for immediate termination lol.

Anyways, I've learned (and spent), a LOT in the time since. Here is an almost current image of my money-pit of love.

Z62_5653.JPG

My wife, knowing how fast I dive in to hobbies, told me I couldn't get another tank for 1 year...

Well, last week, I took my family to a major pet store that sells everything including livestock/pets that swim, crawl, slither, and run. So while there, she found a puppy she wanted. She brought it to me with our 4 and 7 year old daughters and the salesperson to butter me up for a purchase... while I was gawking at a few large fish tanks (this LFS is a Red Sea and ProStar dealer). So bada bing badda boom, we leverage our mutual desires against each other, spend twice as much and now she has a new puppy and I have a paid in full layaway Red Sea 350 G2+ waiting for me to pick up (after I've made room at home).

Here is our new puppy (white) with our 3 year old Chihuahua who is super happy to finally have a playmate.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 165652.jpg

So anyways... where should I start a thread around here about getting advice on migrating a 16 Gallon tank to a Red Sea 350? I've spent so much time on this Biocube and it's finally a beautiful and healthy tank that I almost regret buying a new tank. I think I'll actually cry when I start tearing it down. The plan is to make the Biocube my quarantine tank so I can introduce future fish properly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome to R2R! I started with a 32 biocube knowing that it would be my QT. It didn't end up that way. I got the 180 and my wife loved the 32 so much that I then purchased a 30gl for the qt. yeah 3 tanks. It's been 3 years but now I really don't need to acquire anything new. Tanks are thriving. Maybe you should just leave the biocube the way it is and when you put a fish in for qt, keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't have to be treated otherwise you have decisions to make at that point

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back