Help choosing a wrasse or 2!

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I am looking to add a wrasse or two into my tank. It is a mixed reef tank (softies, LPS and SPS) with a sand bottom, 110 gallon display 150 gallon total, screen lid cover 1/8" net. I have only a yellow watchman and a diamond watchman goby in there currently. I will be adding a purple tang and desjardini tang as well as a pair of lightning maroon clowns.

I have looked at the red head salon wrasse (solorensis) and orange back wrasse as well as the naoko wrasse. Do you guys have any suggestions for other wrasses that I have yet to consider? I really like the bold contrasting colors vs the crazy patterns.

Money isn't a factor but availability and compatibility are. I want something that will look amazing, be active/ help the tank in some way, add character/personality to the tank, and be straight forward care wise. I like to add fish to fill a role/purpose in the tank more so than just for aesthetic reasons.

I greatly appreciate any feedback the community can provide! Thanks in advance!

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a fish that serves a purpose, you probably want something in the halichoeres genus. They will eat flatworms, but may also eat your snails and shrimp. Fairy wrasses tend to be more reef friendly and less aggressive in general. @evolved can offer better advice than I can though.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, the fairy wrasse chart linked is the best way to figure out what can and cant live together. Find something that you love on that list, then work your way out from there... I have an C. exquisitius, C. rubrus, and C. cf cyanopleura that have lived together with no issues for years thanks to that list.

Add to that a flasher wrasse (genus Paracheilinus) and a leopard wrasse or two (genus Macropharyngodon) and you'll have quite the eye catching fish tank :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just depends on what tickles your fancy! There are so many choices.

The naoko can be pretty aggressive and might limit the ability to add other wrasses.

In that size tank you could have quite a few. A mix of Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Macropharygodon and Halichoeres wrasses would be awesome. I have all 4 genera in my tank and may add another genus or two.

Look at Hunter's compatibility chart in the sticky's to guide you on the compatibility issues and also check back here as you make decisions.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone!

I am looking to add a wrasse or two into my tank. It is a mixed reef tank (softies, LPS and SPS) with a sand bottom, 110 gallon display 150 gallon total, screen lid cover 1/8" net. I have only a yellow watchman and a diamond watchman goby in there currently. I will be adding a purple tang and desjardini tang as well as a pair of lightning maroon clowns.

I have looked at the red head salon wrasse (solorensis) and orange back wrasse as well as the naoko wrasse. Do you guys have any suggestions for other wrasses that I have yet to consider? I really like the bold contrasting colors vs the crazy patterns.

Money isn't a factor but availability and compatibility are. I want something that will look amazing, be active/ help the tank in some way, add character/personality to the tank, and be straight forward care wise. I like to add fish to fill a role/purpose in the tank more so than just for aesthetic reasons.

I greatly appreciate any feedback the community can provide! Thanks in advance!

Tough to pick one or two for you not knowing what you exactly like but the first two you mention would be fine. The Naoko can be very aggressive. Dont know what access you have to certain wrasse but if you have access through LFS or online and money is not really an object then the skies the limit. I would consult Hunter's article on compatability if you end up getting more than one. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/

I would also put them in the tank first before the Tangs. Those two you have selected can get aggressive.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Halichoeres genus. H. chrysus is common, but it's a perfect fish, imo...bright yellow, useful predator, really peaceful.

BTW, I would not get a sailfin tang for a 110.

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning toward just getting the Orange Back. I really like the Mystery Wrasse but I've heard they will harass other tankmates. Does anyone have any experience with them? Scientific name is Pseudocheilinus ocellatus. I'm finding conflicting information on them. One site says one thing then another says the opposite of them.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm leaning toward just getting the Orange Back. I really like the Mystery Wrasse but I've heard they will harass other tankmates. Does anyone have any experience with them? Scientific name is Pseudocheilinus ocellatus. I'm finding conflicting information on them. One site says one thing then another says the opposite of them.
aggressive. Tough to add another wrasse if you want to after introduction.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Mystery Wrasse but I've heard they will harass other tankmates. Does anyone have any experience with them? Scientific name is Pseudocheilinus ocellatus. I'm finding conflicting information on them. One site says one thing then another says the opposite of them.
Don't do it.
I am quite biased about information sources, but the one provided above in post 6 seems sound to me. (link again: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/)
:p
Note the section on Pseudocheilinus.

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aggressive. Tough to add another wrasse if you want to after introduction.
That's what I've read... Aggressive toward other wrasses and more passive fish, will eat crabs... I also saw some sites saying peaceful and great in a reef. I believe I will go for the Orange Back then as I love the coloration and everything I'm seeing is saying peaceful and fully reef safe. I could always add another wrasse later by following the chart linked here.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could do just two, it would be lineatus and some type of leopard, probably a choati or bipartus. Fortunately since you have a screen lid you won’t have to deal with the same problem I did with my lineatus.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the 6 line and the Mystery for sure. Too much of a gamble. Definitely look at the Halichoeres Wrasses (ie Melanurus, Red Lined, Christmas). They will periodically eat snails, crabs and ornamental shrimp (although mine leaves my cleaner shrimp alone). Here is a vid of what a male and juvie look like together. The male is definitely more brightly colored but the juvie makes up for looks with personality and you get to have it around longer:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw some sites saying peaceful and great in a reef
And hopefully you can now see that's those sites have been discredited, and are not ones you should trust. There is a lot of misinformation all over the internet. ;)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And hopefully you can now see that's those sites have been discredited, and are not ones you should trust. There is a lot of misinformation all over the internet. ;)

Agreed. Among the greatest lies told about saltwater fish:

1) Occ Clownfish are Peaceful (they are ALL territorial/semi-aggressive to some degree)
2) 6 line Wrasses and Mystery Wrasses are "reef safe" when they are clearly hit and miss (ie with caution) and that the Mystery Wrasse is Peaceful
3) Blue Tangs only need a 75 gallon tank (they really need a 180 minimum for one fully grown)
4) Once mandarinfish learn to eat frozen foods your troubles with them are over (they are slow/methodical feeders than most fish and it's difficult for them to get food before faster moving fish gobble it up)
5) Damsels and Dottybacks make great and colorful additions to any marine environment

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back