HELP PLUMBING A UV

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Red Sea reefer 350 91 total water volume system. I ordered a Pentair 18w UV sterilizer. I need help on how to hard plumb it inside of the sump area. I cant have it outside of the tank area because it will be an eye sore. Anyone else have a small sump area with hard plumbing for a UV? This 18w is still so huge but highly recommended by BRStv. I wonder if I hang it on the ceiling of the sump area somehow but it might hang way too low and I dont want to remove my ATO reservoir. Nor do I want to get a different ato reservoir for the outside of the tank. Heres a pic of my sump:

IMG_3767.JPG

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a huge UV for that tank. I ran the Eheim reeflex 800 on my Reefer 425XL with good results. It was a tight fit but I attached mine to the inside left hand panel of the cabinet at an angle.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a huge UV for that tank. I ran the Eheim reeflex 800 on my Reefer 425XL with good results. It was a tight fit but I attached mine to the inside left hand panel of the cabinet at an angle.
Did you do any hard plumbing on it or was it tubed?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do any hard plumbing on it or was it tubed?
I had mostly hard but tubing to the pump that was connected to cut down on vibrations and noise. I really wish I had a photo to show you but sold the tank yesterday and had all the equipment off right away. It basically pulled water from the refugium part of the sump and out into the skimmer chamber at the back. Worked really well for me and 11W seemed to be enough. IT was mounted at an angle so at the cabinet doors it was up the top and then angled down towards the skimmer chamber where it exited. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mostly hard but tubing to the pump that was connected to cut down on vibrations and noise. I really wish I had a photo to show you but sold the tank yesterday and had all the equipment off right away.

aw man. Yea Id love to get an idea visually. Well I already have this Pentair 18w coming. Im thinking to re-do my hard plumbing on the return pipe and make room for the Pentair. Then I gotta figure out if I can have room for the output of the pentair to plumb back into the return.

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ha e a xl425 and looking to set up a uv sterilizer. By chance you have any pictures of your set up?

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you have to clean out or change your tubing?
For my tank I’ve been doing it once every 6 months. I’ve learned to put a porous sponge in front of my pump top prevent junk from going in. This is also the reason I stopped using chaeto. I just couldn’t figure out how to keep that stuff healthy and growing- it kept dying and going all over the place.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back