Help: RO System Leaking Wastewater

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 stage BRS water saver system that’s around 5-6 years old now. I have it hooked up directly to a water supply with a ball valve on the product line so I can turn it on when I need it. For the wastewater, the line goes outside to a bucket, and just a couple days ago I noticed that the bucket was filling up without ever using the RO system. I also haven’t been able to find any leaks coming from the system itself or the product line. Is it possible that the flush restrictor failed or something?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you turn off the supply line going to the unit? do you have an auto shutoff valve? if the ro membrane has full pressure it will produce waste water no matter if the productline is open or closed.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you turn off the supply line going to the unit? do you have an auto shutoff valve? if the ro membrane has full pressure it will produce waste water no matter if the productline is open or closed.
I don’t turn off the supply line but I do have an auto shutoff valve on it. The system has been installed this way for at least 2 years and I haven’t had this problem before.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an auto shutoff on mine and if i let it sit about a day and a half, the pressure in the ro housing decreases enough so that it allows the auto shutoff to open back up.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an auto shutoff on mine and if i let it sit about a day and a half, the pressure in the ro housing decreases enough so that it allows the auto shutoff to open back up.
How long does it usually open up for though?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once it opens up from the decreased pressure it will stay open, unless the pressure has a way to build backup inside the ro canister causing enough back pressure to reclose the auto shutoff valve. I've never waited to see if it would reclose on its own.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once it opens up from the decreased pressure it will stay open, unless the pressure has a way to build backup inside the ro canister causing enough back pressure to reclose the auto shutoff valve. I've never waited to see if it would reclose on its own.
Hmm I’ve heard my RO system sometimes run through at night for around 10 seconds, but that’s it. And it hasn’t resulted in a bucket full of wastewater produced before. Weird

jspuck25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the auto shut off valve go bad. Cheap to replace. So even if not the problem then no big deal. I keep an extra on hand now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back