Help - Torch Not Doing Well

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to reach out to get some help for my torch. I have had this for well over a year and it was growing great, always fluffed up and happy. Fast forward to a few months ago I added a percula clown that decided to aggressively host the torch and it started looking very beat up. The clown as since been rehomed, but just recently I noticed the torch was looking particularly sad.

I thought it had sponges growing on its skeleton just ender the polyps, but upon further inspection, it looks like it is just the bleach white skeleton that is showing due to tissue regression. It is hard to describe, but it also looks like calcified bubbles, and they crush under the weight of my finger nails if I dig in a bit. The skeleton itself still seems sturdy. Why could be causing this? All my other euphylia are looking fat and happy. Could it be that the clown really did a number and the torch just can't recover?

Parameters:
Alk - 10.3
Cal - 430
Mag 1380
Phos - 0.9
N)3 - 5-10

I know my phosphates are high, but I have had high phosphates ranging from 0.18 to 0.4 to 0.9 for months (ever since I have tested really) and the coral seem to be happy and growing. When I stopped using reef roids as much, I did notice they started to creep back down. I also tend to feed heavy, but I don't think its the phosphates causing the issue... I could be completely wrong of course.

On a unrelated note (but maybe related) I had a Pocillopora colony lose a ton of polyps overnight, but I think that is due to the two peppermint shrimp I added to take care of some aipstasia.

Pictures of the torch:

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch looks fine to me. I would caution you about the peppermint shrimp though, they are known LPS killers/eaters. Many hobbyists, including myself have seen them go rouge and decimate euphyllia. Could be why your seeing your retracted.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back