Help with Apogee SQ-420

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I received a SQ-420 from someone who did not know how to use it and quite frankly I am ignorant as well. I have it mounted on a selfie stick and have the software on a laptop. I am totally ignorant and my head spins when I look at mathematical formulas. Could someone explain the correction factor in terms a person who can only do basic math (not even algebra) can understand? I'm trying to get par measurements under radion xr15 pro gen 4 lights. How do I set up the software and what math formula is needed to get a somewhat accurate reading of the par under my lights. Sorry to be long winded and not to bright but my education stopped when I quit school in the 9th grade to go to work full time 46 years ago. And yes I'm still working full time. dang I should have stayed in school :-(

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The readings for the 420 are close enough to what would be on the 510 and not worth calculating any correction factors. Regarding setting up the software, I just loaded it on my laptop and plugged and played. Nothing to "set up" for me.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check "sensor emersed".
What part of the images in the above is problematic for you?

If you mean correction factors for heavy blue lights..that is a different story .

Since I don' t have the software and you do what does the "select light source" menu give you for options?.
Check the submersed box first .

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for later and an FYI regarding new "X" versions

SQ-110 correction factors apply to sun calibrated models SQ-110, 212, 214, and 215, and models SQ-420, MQ-100, 200, and 210 when in SUN setting.
Non x versions:

Sq-110 is when set to "sun"
Sq-120 is when source is set to electric.

"Sun" is prob the best for heavy royal blue to blue lights though either is " ok"
True UV heavy would be an issue but prob. can be ignored for now.
Regular blue correction factor w) meter set to sun would be multiply your reading by 0.98
So nothing really.

Worst case is all royal blue and 660 nm red ( sensor is really blind to 660nm).

Actually seem either way electric or sun you are only going to be off like +/- 15%

Best to ignore it as stated by P-dub but I'd check the emersed box. No sense in compounding errors.

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I think I was over thinking things. I'll check the emersed box and just go with the reading I get. Thanks again!
@exnisstech Glad we are able to help. There is a like button, BTW... ;)

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to switch myself on here ... I have an Apogee MQ-200 and if I switch it to Sun instead of Electric, the values are closer to the 510. can this be?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back