HELP with.....Reactor placement, plumbing and dosing.....

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, PLEASE bare with me as all my other tanks are AIO so I’ve never had to deal with any of this.....

So my set up on my new 110g RR tank is coming alone slowly lol (too many costly issues coming up from sick kids to sick dog lol) total volume available if sump was FULL (which I hope it never is lol)
is about 150g- won’t really know total system volume until I get it all up and running but the sump is set to 8” for skimmer as of now....

Anyway, question....
I have the 39” Trigger sump (sapphire) but it’s identical to the Emerald 39....
I am forced to use the single Duriso drain because that’s just how the RR tank is plumbled (1-1/4” drain to 1” reducer fitting and 3/4” return)

And a COR 20 for return pump....

It’s all barb and slip fittings so First question...

What type of tubing would you guys use to plumb this... starting from the drain to the Tigger sump.... as mentioned above the bottom of my drain has a Barbed fitting so I need to use some kind of tubing... and clamp (going to try and find the titanium ones for all clamps in the system just because I don’t trust the plastic ones and don’t want others to rust so I read titanium ones are best)

I will be able to easily clean the tubing because it’s only going to be a short piece so I can shove a brush up there no problem... but I don’t know what the best type of tubing to use is.... that will keep a tight fit on the barbed end and I also don’t know how to run it into my trigger? (Just shove it down into the tube?- it is also 1”)

Then for the return on the COR 20 any ideas how I should set this up? Just run 3/4” hose clamped onto the slip fitting back to the 3/4” output tube? If so what kind of hose to use?
I again want to stay away from hard plumbing (I know it will reduce my flow but I will have plenty inside the tank)

I also don’t want to deal with a lot of backflow or as little as possible... especially when doing water changes.... any ideas here or am I stuck?

I also am wondering what I should be dosing... of anything? Just 2 part? Or something else?? I could get the DOS from apex or again just mix my top off... but I’m
Not sure what I’m going to need for a tank with maybe MAX- 5-10 LPS and then some softies and a zoa garden.... that’s my intentions anyway...

Then final question...anyone familiar with the trigger 39’s knows the configuration... I have a ton of room in my skimmer section so I’m trying to figure out
1- what reactors I am going to want to run... (some advice here would be great) and
2- if the skimmer section is the best place to put them...

Regardless of where I put them where should I have the returns coming out? Should I route them back to that first chamber in case any fines come out? Or where would be the best place to have them?

I may have room for one reactor (depending on size and what I get) in the return chamber also....

I plan on only keeping softies LPS and Zoa’s ....and not a lot of them... (tank won’t be over run with them) but a decent amount... I won’t have any SPS.... everything will be set up on APEX eventually (buying the kit with the 2 WAV pumps and that’s where I am going to compensate for flow as I hear these things are quite powerful lol)
If needed I also may buy a cheaper Wavemaker to place at the far right side away from my overflow and return just to point to the surface for some extra gas exchange... and the tank will have a BRS screen top as I am going to have some kind of wrasse (reef safe lol) and a some kind of goby.... so just to keep them in....

I am obviously no plumber lol at all... but I kind of have an idea of what I want... just not sure how to do it.... like is it possible to get a union that is barbed or something on the sides so I can disconnect my return line half way to make cleaning the tube easier? It won’t be a HUGE piece but it will be like 4-5ft long... so getting a brush that long may be tough.... lol
I see a lot of people have their Red Sea reefers connected to the COR 20 with the included tubing it comes with so I’m
Just wondering how they do it

Also- last thing... promise (lol) there is no protection on the end of the cor 20 from snails or Chaeto and the refugium is right before the return chamber... will that little foam part and egg crate piece stop them? I know the pump shuts off if something jams it but I’d rather not have anything do that to begin with so looking for people with the COR 20 and maybe some easy DIY solutions they have found?

Basically what I really need is a plumber who knows about reef tanks to just come and let me pay them to set it all up lol

Near Ottawa Ontario if anyone is interested in the job lol

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks lol
I wonder if a plumber would have enough knowledge to do the plumbing if I explained what parts needed to come apart and such (like where I would need unions lol)

I also am just wanting to buy my reactors but I don’t know which ones will be important or needed.... and where the best place to route the out put would be... those are my main concerns lol

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back