!!!help!!!

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning before I left for work I noticed somthing bright white in the tank. Well unfortunately it was my Aussi Milli. Last night it was 100% healthy and has been since I got it. I did a 10% water change last night. the new waters selenity was perfectly matched. My titrates were about 10 before the water change and my KH was about 6.5. All the other corals look perfectly fine. Being that not one piece of the coral still has tissue it leads me to believe that bugs or fish did not cause this. I know drastic changes in nitrates or KH can cause this but I only did a small change (smaller than usual) The temp in the tank dropped about 2 degrees from the water change but was back to temp within a few hours. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miles can be temperamental, mine all suffered because of a 3 degree temp swing in my tank.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you buffer your water when you do a water change? What size tank do you have? 10 gallons isn't much, but if it's a small tank and you don't buffer, a pH or alk swing may be the culprit.

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was a 10% change. I changed 6 gallons out of my 60gallon tank.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buffer the pH prior to adding it to the tank? How long did you let the water mix prior to using it for the water change? Was it a new batch of salt? If so, did you mix up the salt prior to adding it to the RO water? Sorry for all the questions, but there's a whole lot of factors that could have lead to the problem.

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not buffer the water prior to the change. I have never done that, I may have to start though. It was the same bucket of salt that I have been using for the past month. The water mixed for about 4 hours prior to the change.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have before/after parameters? I usually mix my water for about 24 hrs, but have done as little as a couple hours in emergencies, so I doubt that's the problem. I've read that some of the finer particles in salt mix will settle if the salt is sitting for a while, so maybe it mixed with a really high alk or pH and created too much of a swing? Are any of the other corals looking a bit off, or was it just the mille?

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of "buffering" saltwater prior to a water change. A proper salt mix and a little mix time in RO water should be enough to stabilize the pH...
Can anybody clarify?

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also right before I made the water. I cleaned the pump and the container that houses the water. I did not use any type of cleaner or viniger just hot water and scrubing. Not sure if that could have added to the problem. just thought you should know.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of "buffering" saltwater prior to a water change. A proper salt mix and a little mix time in RO water should be enough to stabilize the pH...
Can anybody clarify?

Unless the salt is already buffered(from what I can tell most are not) then the PH will be far from stable. PH will normally be lower than you want very unstable. Whole debate on this in an "RO/DI" thread somewhere here recently on R2R.

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of buffering the water, however, I have never had the need. I have not had any ill side effects from the lack of buffer. But that is the only coral that has any side effects. And up to 3 hours or so after the change the milli still looked great. I changed the water at 6pm went to bed around 11PM (still looked fine) then when I left for work around 8AM it was completely gone.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also right before I made the water. I cleaned the pump and the container that houses the water. I did not use any type of cleaner or viniger just hot water and scrubing. Not sure if that could have added to the problem. just thought you should know.

What did you scrub with? Some sponges have stuff in them to resist mold which might cause problems if it wasn't rinsed

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thread was about buffering water for your ATO. I mean more along the lines of buffering alk to match your tank. My tank runs at 9.5-10 DKH, but my salt mix usually runs around 8.5 @ 1.026 salinity. How long have you had it in your tank?

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it bleached form the low alk, and temp swing. and milles be tempermental.

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrubbed with paper towel and made sure to wash out with clean water 2 or 3 times after. 6.5 was as low as my alk has ever been. Its usually around 9. My thing that is wierd to me is the fact that I did a small water change (I usually do 12 gallons) using the same salt as usual and the temp only went from 80 to 78.3 my PH was 8.3 prior to the change. and every thing else in the tank looks great. and I have alot of SPS. I think from now on I might start buffering my water. Should I treat KH and PH on freshly made water?

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually pH won't have to be adjusted because most salt mixes in the range you're looking for. As for alk, it should be as close as possible to your DT alk levels. You said that your alk is usually around 9, how long did it take to drop down to 6.5? If it was a rapid change down to 6.5 and then back up, that sounds like your culprit.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is low alk in the tank. Freshly mixed sw shouldn't need buffering

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup i bet the fresh saltwater had a alk of 8 or 9 and spiked the running tank at 6.5 it happens to the best of us..... i lost one yesterday for no reason either!!!!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back