Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if it's been said, but another note about Iodine is I've seen it drastically get taken out of systems from running activated carbon. Just something to note. Like it could take out 70%+ of Iodine, from what I've seen / heard (right when you replace the carbon cannister).

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys after 3 years I feel like this tank is decent enough and need to start a new tank... I set up a new 120 Gallon Display tank with some bonsai tree Rock work and plan to select some frags from the main display for this new tenuis grow out. its going to be a long journey replicating the main system parameters and growing the selected frags out. I am also excited to see how the radian g5s compare to the g4s. In the current tank they are grown using the g4s and the new tank will be the g5s.

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

ZgPF2HJ4.jpeg

3.jpeg

1.jpeg

4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
9.jpeg
10.jpeg
11.jpeg
12.jpeg
13.jpeg
14.jpeg
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

jI6qLVjU.jpeg

ES5tR27w.jpeg

pB_5euFo.jpeg

teMefT6A.jpeg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

hoarder.jpg

full tank.jpg

Below is the new 120 Gallon Display tank with the Bonsai Tree branches. this is the tank that will get the new frah cutting. Will be fun to see them grow and crust onto the branches :)
Man these are stunning - incredible job!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey guys, I have a question about Iodine dosing. My ICP test always show iodine low. It’s not real low, but constantly 30% below what ATI recommends. I’ve got Lugul’s on hand. Would that be okay to dose. Tank total water is about 180 gallons. I was thinking 1 drop per week to keep in up a bit. Thoughts?

7B28A3A4-0720-4D60-AAC1-CAC8A9EB11AA.jpeg

Hello and thanks for your post Iodine is very important and i would not rely on doing triton tests for it. We like Iodine between 50 and 80. IN order to test Iodine we would reccomend the following home methos that works amazing. Also once you can tesst it at home you will be able to dose it more accuratly

the home test follow the link below

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey guys, I have a question about Iodine dosing. My ICP test always show iodine low. It’s not real low, but constantly 30% below what ATI recommends. I’ve got Lugul’s on hand. Would that be okay to dose. Tank total water is about 180 gallons. I was thinking 1 drop per week to keep in up a bit. Thoughts?

7B28A3A4-0720-4D60-AAC1-CAC8A9EB11AA.jpeg

also we use seecheam reef iodide you should swtich to that one becouse then we can help you with it

Paulb89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shane

I have just read through all 82 pages and have picked up some great advice and tips, epic thread!

Do you have any before and after pics at all?
I'd love to see some colonies the day they go into your system and then the finished product.

I'm in Western Australia and have access to wild Acro from the north of WA, quite alot of tenius and most of it is brown, green or purple, I'm led to believe that due to the massive mining sector we have here the ocean in the area gets saturated with certain elements which turn them that colour.

Do you have any colonies from this area at all or have any tips on what to look out for when buying them to find a diamond in the rough? I don't want to end up with a tank full of green acro

Vermontreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you (or anyone reading) recommend fully stopping or reducing by 75% the standard dose of red sea nopox or carbon dosing when starting neo nitro and phos? I have some light hair algae and bubble algae growth (almost gone), run carbon and gfo, and have a chaeto fuge. Just not sure what to stop, if anything, while I try to raise nutrients which read near zero for both. Im leaning towards using 25% of the media i use now while I make changes so thing s dont spike too quickly. Its the carbon dosing im hung up on. Thanks for the read and looking forward to auction day

Last edited:

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shane. Finally found time to read the thread start to finish.

Got a couple of questions on your lighting. You had talked way back about setting up a newer tank with Radion G5 Pro lights, but I never saw any more info on it. Are your G5 settings the same as the G4 setting you have shown before.

Second question is about photography. You say your lights are at the AB+ schedule, but when you take pictures it’s only under blue light. Can you show a picture of you Radion light settings for taking your pictures?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you (or anyone reading) recommend fully stopping or reducing by 75% the standard dose of red sea nopox or carbon dosing when starting neo nitro and phos? I have some light hair algae and bubble algae growth (almost gone), run carbon and gfo, and have a chaeto fuge. Just not sure what to stop, if anything, while I try to raise nutrients which read near zero for both. Im leaning towards using 25% of the media i use now while I make changes so thing s dont spike too quickly. Its the carbon dosing im hung up on. Thanks for the read and looking forward to auction day
I would think dosing carbon and also dosing NO3/PO4 is counter-productive. LIGHT hair/bubble algae is probably not an issue.

If you stop the Carbon Dosing and stop running GFO you may settle exactly where you need to be with PO4 and NO3 and not even need to dose NeoNitro or NeoPhos.

I think most would agree to stop running GFO and GAC 24/7, especially considering your nutrients are almost 0.

My suggestion is to pull the GFO and stop Carbon dosing. If you want to play it safe, reduce both slowly and watch your nutrients increase to the desired levels.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think dosing carbon and also dosing NO3/PO4 is counter-productive. LIGHT hair/bubble algae is probably not an issue.

If you stop the Carbon Dosing and stop running GFO you may settle exactly where you need to be with PO4 and NO3 and not even need to dose NeoNitro or NeoPhos.

I think most would agree to stop running GFO and GAC 24/7, especially considering your nutrients are almost 0.

My suggestion is to pull the GFO and stop Carbon dosing. If you want to play it safe, reduce both slowly and watch your nutrients increase to the desired levels.
I too was thinking counter productive.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

From my understanding, carbon dosing lowers nitrates and may have a small effect on phosphates, but not as noticeable? I'm dosing phosphates to keep them from 0, but dosing vinegar to bring my nitrates down to at least detectable.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, carbon dosing lowers nitrates and may have a small effect on phosphates, but not as noticeable? I'm dosing phosphates to keep them from 0, but dosing vinegar to bring my nitrates down to at least detectable.
His p04 and n03 were close to zero. Hence..if you're Carbon dosing and running gfo it seems counter productive....a little foot on the gas and breaks at the same time action.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
His p04 and n03 were close to zero. Hence..if you're Carbon dosing and running gfo it seems counter productive....a little foot on the gas and breaks at the same time action.
Those are the most annoying drivers...

I've seen some people suggest that. Get to 0, dose the levels you want each day. I agree though, why not dose what's necessary to keep the tank running and adjust as needed.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brands do you use for the other test kits?

Hello and thanks for your post Iodine is very important and i would not rely on doing triton tests for it. We like Iodine between 50 and 80. IN order to test Iodine we would reccomend the following home methos that works amazing. Also once you can tesst it at home you will be able to dose it more accuratly

the home test follow the link below

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes counter productive if all your looking at is control of nitrates and phosphates. But carbon dosing had other benefits for corals and if you're dosing carbon to benefit coral, then perhaps a scenario where replenishing what carbon has removed is necessary.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes counter productive if all your looking at is control of nitrates and phosphates. But carbon dosing had other benefits for corals and if you're dosing carbon to benefit coral, then perhaps a scenario where replenishing what carbon has removed is necessary.
I get that..but if you're having a problem keeping nutrients up is the carbon dosing worth it? I guess that's my question. Corals can be just fine and grow like gangbusters without carbon dosing..which in turn..I think would be great if you had problems with high nutrients. If the nutrients aren't high...perhaps stop the carbon dosing and gfo and see where it stands...I dunno..just thinking.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also we use seecheam reef iodide you should swtich to that one because then we can help you with it
I've never tested for iodine in my tanks. I feed LRS reef frenzy that is made with seafoods that are high in iodine( just google " is seafood high in iodine"). Isn't possible that iodine gets into my system that way?

Vermontreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for records keeping sake I decided to stop carbon dosing lowering the dose over the course of three days and pulled my gfo at the same time. I started dosing neonitro and neophos around the same time just to get something into the system but didn't go wild with it assuming that by stopping carbon dosing nutrients would also rise. As of 10/15 I've been holding around 20 nitrates and 0.25 phosphates and monitoring daily. It took awhile for the tank to saturate like a week. I added a small amount of microbacter7 to try to stabilize the fluctuating bacteria populations with a little added diversity (a little counter intuitive I guess). Im just going to let the tank sit for a month and monitor the macro elements. I think carbon dosing caused ultra low nutrients and after a week or two my corals started reflecting that. Ill have an update in a couple weeks, I see a lot of threads about this same problem. Corals are looking improved

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Shane. Finally found time to read the thread start to finish.

Got a couple of questions on your lighting. You had talked way back about setting up a newer tank with Radion G5 Pro lights, but I never saw any more info on it. Are your G5 settings the same as the G4 setting you have shown before.

Second question is about photography. You say your lights are at the AB+ schedule, but when you take pictures it’s only under blue light. Can you show a picture of you Radion light settings for taking your pictures?

Hey sorry for the late reply

the G5 setting are the same as the g4 we use the pro version on both lights and use the AB plus schedule

for the pictures we set them to the all blue schedule. Thanks for your qeustions i hope this helps!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back