How much do pipefish eat?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering adding a small pipefish to my nano depending on how much they eat since I know they're pod eaters...I do have a good pod population and dose Phyto nightly but do they eat too much to be sustained in a nano? Again I'd be getting a small one only a few inches or so

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering adding a small pipefish to my nano depending on how much they eat since I know they're pod eaters...I do have a good pod population and dose Phyto nightly but do they eat too much to be sustained in a nano? Again I'd be getting a small one only a few inches or so

My experience has been that even a small pipefish will clean out a nano of all edible items pretty quickly, and then you would need to supplement its diet. Enriched live baby brine works pretty well.

Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been that even a small pipefish will clean out a nano of all edible items pretty quickly, and then you would need to supplement its diet. Enriched live baby brine works pretty well.

Jay
Ok, that's what I figured...in that case I'll probably hold off right now until I can get either a pod culture or possibly baby brine shrimp culture going...are pods or brine easier to culture in your experience? I believe both involve also culturing Phyto to feed them, right?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that's what I figured...in that case I'll probably hold off right now until I can get either a pod culture or possibly baby brine shrimp culture going...are pods or brine easier to culture in your experience? I believe both involve also culturing Phyto to feed them, right?
yes, I would say pods are easier.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I would say pods are easier.
Ok...I'll hold off for now then but maybe in the future after I get a culture going I might try a small one...I imagine it's pretty difficult to train them to eat frozen mysis like some people do with seahorses and mandarins, right?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...I'll hold off for now then but maybe in the future after I get a culture going I might try a small one...I imagine it's pretty difficult to train them to eat frozen mysis like some people do with seahorses and mandarins, right?
both difficult and rare. Pipefish are very picky and not hardy. Even with a culture they sometimes won't eat that type of pods/brine or don't get enough nutrients.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both difficult and rare. Pipefish are very picky and not hardy. Even with a culture they sometimes won't eat that type of pods/brine or don't get enough nutrients.
Thats a shame because they're some of my favorite fish...a school of pipefish in the wild is so awesome to me...do seahorses also eat a lot? I know they're pretty fragile but have seen some small tanks with seahorses

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need a copepod culture to keep up with depends. As far as BBS goes BRS sells a hatching dish that's surprisingly very effective and simple

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a shame because they're some of my favorite fish...a school of pipefish in the wild is so awesome to me...do seahorses also eat a lot? I know they're pretty fragile but have seen some small tanks with seahorses
they are really cool yeah. Seahorse tanks are typically built from the ground up with seahorse in mind. If you are willing to do research into it and restructure the tank theres a chance it could be right for them.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need a copepod culture to keep up with depends. As far as BBS goes BRS sells a hatching dish that's surprisingly very effective and simple
Unfortunately I'm not in the U.S. though... really doubt they'd ship here haha

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can wade through PaulB's massive threads he has DIY brine shrimp hatcher and feeders he's built...or get his book...think its shorter than his thread

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, you can put a WTB (want to buy) thread on here if looking for something you cannot find locally.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll look around here first to see what I can find...I really appreciate all you guys' help and advice as well as the whole community here because there's really not much of a reefing community here to speak of and most of the shops' advice on any questions I may have I definitely have to take with a grain of salt

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer live baby brine, hatched from cysts and then fed HUFAs to boost their nutrition...easier than pods for me, more consistent. However, copepods have better nutritional value and will live better in a tank if uneaten.

Jay

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue stripes are the smallest and easiest of all the pipes, but I wouldn't put one in a nano no matter how many pods you have. It just would not end well

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back