How often do you empty your protein skimmer cup?

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Nyos 160 setup since Feb & cleaned the entire unit once. Cup is cleaned 1-2 times a wk but after noticing the gallon jug idea here might go with that at least on Vacation.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gallon jug idea is great if you have your skimmer setting dialed in. If not you can get a small flood in your stand if you’re skimming too wet and your skimmer starts to overflows. I know from experience. After this happened I bought a zaya sos. It will shut off the skimmer and beep if either the skimmer cup/jug get too full or if the sump level rises. Saved my bacon a few times when I forget to empty the jug. Worth every penny ($49). Highly recommended for anyone using a jug for skimmate

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I empty it every day or two, whatever level it's at. Rarely above 20% full, and I generally skim wet. Remove and clean the cup assembly once a week, and the skimmer body once a month. I'll probably get tired of all this eventually but right now I don't feel that it's much of an inconvenience tbh. The only thing I don't like is my wife making a face as I walk by her on the way to the sink.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s
the real question. Reply one sums up quantity of skimmate. Emptying the cup up to individual.
My question is how often do hobbiests pull the skimmer out to clean up a quarter inch of accumulated slime from the neck end upper collecting chamber???

My next purchase will be an automatic skimmer neck cleaner. I clean it once a month now with water changes.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gallon jug idea is great if you have your skimmer setting dialed in. If not you can get a small flood in your stand if you’re skimming too wet and your skimmer starts to overflows. I know from experience. After this happened I bought a zaya sos. It will shut off the skimmer and beep if either the skimmer cup/jug get too full or if the sump level rises. Saved my bacon a few times when I forget to empty the jug. Worth every penny ($49). Highly recommended for anyone using a jug for skimmate

I also had this happen once. For now I have a cheap ball valve that I leave closed and just open it so the skimmer cup can drain into a gallon jug once a week.

41785509-EF57-412F-91BA-C9BDA584171B.jpeg

Rob Rowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s
the real question. Reply one sums up quantity of skimmate. Emptying the cup up to individual.
My question is how often do hobbiests pull the skimmer out to clean up a quarter inch of accumulated slime from the neck end upper collecting chamber???

Once a week or earlier if needed.

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1 I empty once a week and the other I have fed into my sewage drain in my basement so I only ever clean it and have no real idea how much it skims but phos/nitrate 0 so not worried about it.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still empty it twice a week routinely.
Also now have a sensor in it which shuts the skimmer off and sends me a notification if it gets full unexpectedly.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a few days worth here, I am guessing I could safely go every two weeks, especially since it has a safety shut of float valve. I will probably go every week with weekly water changes for now.

It is a relatively new tank and the skimmer I have only had about a week. I drained it a few times when I was skimming wet and still learning how to set it. Now I have a nice dry skim.

20211028_205300.jpg

I am wondering does anyone raise the level to pre clean the neck before taking the skim cup off, and does anyone leave the bubbles running and just lower the level so you can take the skim cup off without letting the skimmer drain?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a few days worth here, I am guessing I could safely go every two weeks, especially since it has a safety shut of float valve. I will probably go every week with weekly water changes for now.

It is a relatively new tank and the skimmer I have only had about a week. I drained it a few times when I was skimming wet and still learning how to set it. Now I have a nice dry skim.

20211028_205300.jpg

I am wondering does anyone raise the level to pre clean the neck before taking the skim cup off, and does anyone leave the bubbles running and just lower the level so you can take the skim cup off without letting the skimmer drain?
I lower the bubbles.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back