How to Quarantine

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y'all think it would be okay to QT a 4'" copper band and a 3" naso together in a 20g Long. i could put some egg crate in there to separate em if it gets bad but they gonna have to learn to co exist at some point

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso’s are not aggressive fish and at 3” it is still a Nuvo so I believe you should be fine. In any event to be on the safe side if you can initially split the tank with a piece of transparent acrylic to observe their behavior it would be ideal.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be safe to introduce new fish to a QT that's already at or near theraputic levels for Copper Power assuming I start the clock all over again?

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I've had three tangs in QT for a month together, looking good to me. Do I put all three in DT at the same time or one a week starting with the smallest one?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be safe to introduce new fish to a QT that's already at or near theraputic levels for Copper Power assuming I start the clock all over again?

You have two issues: one is that it might not survive being put straight into therapeautic copper levels. The second is that “nearly therapeautic might mean that you restart the clock...

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a bit confused here concerning General Cure dosing protocol. I remember reading that the correct dosing protocol is treating once a week despite the package instructions, yet I also read that General Cure is only effective for 24 hours after treatment. Could both things be true? Really now, how do you dose this stuff?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a bit confused here concerning General Cure dosing protocol. I remember reading that the correct dosing protocol is treating once a week despite the package instructions, yet I also read that General Cure is only effective for 24 hours after treatment. Could both things be true? Really now, how do you dose this stuff?
It does only remain effective for around 24hrs.

The follow up (2nd dose) is to kill any hatchlings. Praziquantel only kills the living worms, not the egg stage. The incubation period depends on many factors including temp and salinity. So that is why the window of 5-7 days is the best route for the second dose. You want to kill any newly hatched flukes that the 1st dose didn't get. While not allowing enough time for reproduction and laying of eggs again.

This calendar will tell you exactly when to administer the 2nd dose if you enter your parameters:

http://www.marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Quick question:

Can you TTM multiple fish in the same tank at a given time?

I was hoping to batch QT fish in a 20 long followed by a 2 week observation. Not too many of course, 3-4 smaller fish max.

Thank you!!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Quick question:

Can you TTM multiple fish in the same tank at a given time?

I was hoping to batch QT fish in a 20 long followed by a 2 week observation. Not too many of course, 3-4 smaller fish max.

Thank you!!!
Yup, shouldn't be a problem.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from Humblefish with the heading "How to Quarantine

Substrate and rock are best avoided in QT, as those can absorb many medications. However, one or two small pieces of live rock may be added for ammonia control, so long as they are coming from a disease free tank. The live rock will need to be removed once a disease is spotted and before medications are used. Furthermore, the live rock must be considered “contaminated” once exposed to a fish disease, and left in a fallow (fish free) environment for 72 days to starve out any parasites.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I'm going to be quarantining fish in batches in a 20 gallon long. Even though it's best to isolate, all fish will be from the same system (most likely Diver's Den).

What would you recommend for prophylactic quarantine of multiple fish from one system? TTM? Copper? Dips for flukes will be pursued for either route.

It seems that the risk/gamble for going TTM would be marine velvet... Whereas copper could be a longer and more stressful process on the fish..

Thanks for your input!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I'm going to be quarantining fish in batches in a 20 gallon long. Even though it's best to isolate, all fish will be from the same system (most likely Diver's Den).

What would you recommend for prophylactic quarantine of multiple fish from one system? TTM? Copper? Dips for flukes will be pursued for either route.

It seems that the risk/gamble for going TTM would be marine velvet... Whereas copper could be a longer and more stressful process on the fish..

Thanks for your input!
Depending on the fish I would do either Copper or CP at a minimum. With recent issues in the supply chain I think Metro may also be a required treatment in the future.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the fish I would do either Copper or CP at a minimum. With recent issues in the supply chain I think Metro may also be a required treatment in the future.
I agree. Just because it's diver's den it doesn't mean it's 100% safe. The specimens arrive eating (usually) and in better health somewhat adapted to aquaria. Still recommend a full QT.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @HotRocks & @Brew12

OK. Looks like full treatment for all potential issues is the safer bet in QTing multiple fish vs TTM & dips to target flukes & ich.

I've been planning on doing TTM, but want to be safe and am willing to pivot to a fully comprehensive QT plan.

Any one else agree or disagree? Thank you again!!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @HotRocks & @Brew12

OK. Looks like full treatment for all potential issues is the safer bet in QTing multiple fish vs TTM & dips to target flukes & ich.

I've been planning on doing TTM, but want to be safe and am willing to pivot to a fully comprehensive QT plan.

Any one else agree or disagree? Thank you again!!!
TTM is ok if you do it every other day. It needs to be done at least that often to deal with Velvet. Ich is the least of the problems fish have in the distribution system right now. But, you still need to worry about flukes. There also seems to be a lot of Brooklynella in the supply chain causing issues. Hence the need for metro.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am not a newbie to QT and have QTd probably around 30 fish already and if there is one I have had 100% mortality when subjected to even low level Cupramine are Yellow tangs.... go figure.

I typically raises the levels during 10 days 0,05 at a time and I believe it is the third one that is gone... and levels are only 0,15, far from the 0,5 therapeautic concentration.

I have never heard anyone having issues with YT and I have had wrasses, dwarf angels, regal angels and copper and butterflies enduring the hole procedure just fine. But YT... no success...

Anyone with similar experience around?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am not a newbie to QT and have QTd probably around 30 fish already and if there is one I have had 100% mortality when subjected to even low level Cupramine are Yellow tangs.... go figure.

I typically raises the levels during 10 days 0,05 at a time and I believe it is the third one that is gone... and levels are only 0,15, far from the 0,5 therapeautic concentration.

I have never heard anyone having issues with YT and I have had wrasses, dwarf angels, regal angels and copper and butterflies enduring the hole procedure just fine. But YT... no success...

I've put 4 YT's through QT but have never used Cupramine. The first one was coppersafe and a group of 3 was in CP. No problems either time.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Weird... I’ve always used cheated copper. I currently use copper power and have quarantined a couple YT in copper power with no issues. Do you think he could have succumbed to velvet before copper got to thereapeutic levels?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe is because you are using “cheated” copper [emoji23]. Couldn’t resist.

But not really, all three cases happened at very different points in time on different QT tanks and typically fish were doing well until the first drop of Cupramine hits the water.

Unfortunately it is impossible to get Copeprsafe or Copper power over here. The only thing I can get is Cupramine which I believe is the main reason for my difficulties....

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back