Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jan 21, 2015.
^^ To the casual reader: Please note the experiments above were done in cell culture plates or in less than 1 gallon of water for the fish test. So, there's no way of knowing if the nauplii would be as effective in a large, "spread out" system and dosing the same concentration of nauplii (1000 per 3 liters) would probably pollute a DT. The resulting ammonia spike would not be worth the possible 65% fewer trophonts.
You're scaring more than just your fish!
Ozone. Yes I knew it had to be something other than they are immune. OK, it's ozone, baby brine shrimp, chicken bones and using a diatom filter for an hour a year. There it is folks, the ich remedy.
It's really the Godzilla Larvae that I hatch and slowly acclimate to my tank. after the parasites see the Godzilla larvae, 65% of them drop dead on the spot while the remaining 35% die laughing. This study was done by Lon Chaney in 1951 in Tokyo because that was the only place to harvest Godzilla Larvae.
Of course you have to be fast because Mama Godzilla runs pretty fast, especially while she is running from jet fighters that are shooting at her.
It's a combination of things, Paul. As with almost anything in life, it's never just one factor.
Yes, it is a combination of the right food and exposing them to parasites. Supermodels have nothing to do with it which is odd because Supermodels have a huge part in all of this.
Great read. Easy for a noob like me to understand. I've saved it and printed it to my notebook. I'm a big fan of prevention to keep my anxiety low. Ha ha. My questions as a new guy for you and all those who read.... Tangs seem to be a problem for aggression, disease and overgrowth in a entry level hobbyists aquarium yet they are one of the most beautiful species. Hippos, powder blues, achiles and a few others...excuse my spelling or nomenclature. Besides clowns you mentioned a few other species that don't spark my interest or get me excited like knowing someone has a tang and asking what kind? Perhaps I'm not seeing the specific species of the wrasses, anthias or others besides mandarin that are eye catchers. Can you mention a few specific strands of the species that might appeal more? Pictures always welcome. Thanks for the great article and tank mentoring.
@Fishnerd7 Are you wanting to know which fish have thick mucous coats, and are thus considered ich/disease resistant species?
I'm only just learning about the slime coats really. Even after learning about some species and adding them to my wish list I find out they are hard to acquire or require specific care that's not for the beginner. What would you recommend for a 100 gallon tank to slowly add fish to...hardy types yet still appeal to keep not only me interested and anxious to buy the next fish but also keep the wife interested and less like see the price tag. ha ha.
@Fishnerd7 Have you seen some of the fantastic looking wrasses: http://www.liveaquaria.com/category/1378/wrasse-reef-safe?c=15+1378
Those all have thick slime coats. You can keep Tangs in a 100 gal, just limit it to Zebrasoma or Ctenochaetus genus.
Anthias are another good choice, as well as cardinalfish, grammas, blennies, gobies, hawkfish, rabbitfish and a pair of clowns.
Particularly external parasite-resistant wrasse include halichoeres and macro (leopards) in my experience. With leopards its internal parasites that are the issue. Most common wrasse other than flasher and fairy are pretty resistant to parasites.
Looking these up now. Thank you so much. Unfortunately LFS wants to sell me some giants. It's getting hard to trust them now when I walk in there. I'm relying more and more for support and supplies online.
Limited supply and limited expertise lead to that type of thing at some LFS, unfortunately.
+1 They are going to want to sell whatever they happen to have in stock, first & foremost.
Separate names with a comma.