Ich eradication vs. Ich management

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

http://afs.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8667(1995)007<0257:CCOAOD>2.3.CO;2

Fishnerd7 likes this.

2. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

^^ To the casual reader: Please note the experiments above were done in cell culture plates or in less than 1 gallon of water for the fish test. So, there's no way of knowing if the nauplii would be as effective in a large, "spread out" system and dosing the same concentration of nauplii (1000 per 3 liters) would probably pollute a DT. The resulting ammonia spike would not be worth the possible 65% fewer trophonts.

Fishnerd7 likes this.
  3. Empress

Empress Well-Known Member

You're scaring more than just your fish!

Fishnerd7, Paul B and Humblefish like this.
  4. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Ozone. Yes I knew it had to be something other than they are immune. OK, it's ozone, baby brine shrimp, chicken bones and using a diatom filter for an hour a year. There it is folks, the ich remedy. :confused:
    It's really the Godzilla Larvae that I hatch and slowly acclimate to my tank. after the parasites see the Godzilla larvae, 65% of them drop dead on the spot while the remaining 35% die laughing. This study was done by Lon Chaney in 1951 in Tokyo because that was the only place to harvest Godzilla Larvae.

Of course you have to be fast because Mama Godzilla runs pretty fast, especially while she is running from jet fighters that are shooting at her.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Fishnerd7 likes this.
  5. Humblefish

It's a combination of things, Paul. As with almost anything in life, it's never just one factor. ;)

4FordFamily and Fishnerd7 like this.
  6. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Yes, it is a combination of the right food and exposing them to parasites. Supermodels have nothing to do with it which is odd because Supermodels have a huge part in all of this. :rolleyes:

Fishnerd7 likes this.
  7. Fishnerd7

Fishnerd7 Well-Known Member

Great read. Easy for a noob like me to understand. I've saved it and printed it to my notebook. I'm a big fan of prevention to keep my anxiety low. Ha ha. My questions as a new guy for you and all those who read.... Tangs seem to be a problem for aggression, disease and overgrowth in a entry level hobbyists aquarium yet they are one of the most beautiful species. Hippos, powder blues, achiles and a few others...excuse my spelling or nomenclature. Besides clowns you mentioned a few other species that don't spark my interest or get me excited like knowing someone has a tang and asking what kind? Perhaps I'm not seeing the specific species of the wrasses, anthias or others besides mandarin that are eye catchers. Can you mention a few specific strands of the species that might appeal more? Pictures always welcome. Thanks for the great article and tank mentoring.

4FordFamily and Humblefish like this.
  8. Humblefish

@Fishnerd7 Are you wanting to know which fish have thick mucous coats, and are thus considered ich/disease resistant species?

Fishnerd7 likes this.
  9. Fishnerd7

I'm only just learning about the slime coats really. Even after learning about some species and adding them to my wish list I find out they are hard to acquire or require specific care that's not for the beginner. What would you recommend for a 100 gallon tank to slowly add fish to...hardy types yet still appeal to keep not only me interested and anxious to buy the next fish but also keep the wife interested and less like see the price tag. ha ha.

10. Humblefish

drstardust, Fishnerd7 and 4FordFamily like this.
  11. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Agree.

Particularly external parasite-resistant wrasse include halichoeres and macro (leopards) in my experience. With leopards its internal parasites that are the issue. Most common wrasse other than flasher and fairy are pretty resistant to parasites.

Humblefish and Fishnerd7 like this.
  12. Fishnerd7

Looking these up now. Thank you so much. Unfortunately LFS wants to sell me some giants. It's getting hard to trust them now when I walk in there. I'm relying more and more for support and supplies online.
    Thanks again.

Humblefish and 4FordFamily like this.
  13. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Limited supply and limited expertise lead to that type of thing at some LFS, unfortunately.

Fishnerd7 and Humblefish like this.
  14. Humblefish

+1 They are going to want to sell whatever they happen to have in stock, first & foremost.

Fishnerd7 and 4FordFamily like this.