Ich eradication vs. Ich management

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question that I rarely see addressed...

I believe in using homeopathy for many things. In many cases for worms or parasites the remedy suggested is Cina - it will actually kill out worms and cure without harming the person or animal that has it.
From http://www.homeopathycenter.org/remedy/cina, "
Cina
Natural History.
- The unexpended flower-heads (commonly called "seeds") of several varieties of Artemisia maritima. Semen cine.
- Flores cine.
- Artemisia Cintra. Wormseed. N. O. Composite. Tincture.
Characteristics.
- Cina is the source of the alkaloid Santoninum. It is pre-eminently a worm medicine, as it causes all the symptoms which characterize helminthiasis both mental, nervous, and bodily.
- It corresponds more to the effects of lumbrici then to those of other worms.
- There is irritation of the nose, causing constant desire to rub, prick, or press into it.

The question is - would Cina (latin, common name is wormseed) work as well? Homeopathy works with the symptoms to help the life force actually fight the problem; so is it something that has ever been tried either positively or negatively to combat ich?

Looking forward to hearing, as I know that I still have ich resident in my tank. Thanks :)
Please don't take this as a rebuffing of homeopathy, certainly not meant that way.
As I understand it, there is no evidence that homeopathic remedies have any effect beyond that of a placebo (which should not be underestimated it has to be said). However, placebos only work with humans as there has to be 'belief' that the remedy will work. As far as I am aware, it's not possible to convince a fish that a particular treatment will work and thus homeopathy would have no effect.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I have searched and haven't found any reference on "How" to go Fallow. Right now my tank is fishless as I got MV or Ick (not sure which) but know I should go 11 weeks to break the cycle of Ick. It's been 1 week so far. What should be done or not done during this time.

Add corals/ don't add? If add does the 10 weeks restart?
Feed the tank/ don't feed?
Spot feed the corals? Most of what I have is LPS and Polyps (Zoas) with a Gorgonian and a couple SPS (Birdsnest and Green Slimer).

If anyone has a guide or a link on what should/should not be done it would be great.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @Humblefish, I guess my only question is what about adding new corals? That will restart the 76 day fallow period, correct?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @Humblefish, I guess my only question is what about adding new corals? That will restart the 76 day fallow period, correct?

Yes, because there is the possibility that a new coral could have a tomont attached to it. For ich, one strain that was studied took up to 72 days for all the theronts to be released from a group of tomonts. How commonly encountered this strain is (other strains complete their entire life cycle in 30 days or less) nobody knows. o_O

More info:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-quarantine-coral-and-inverts.228/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-invert-quarantine-time-frames.334584/

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, I am moving the tank in a few weeks. Are you going to come to New York and help me? I will even give you a bed and breakfast on the beach. :p

Wish I could, old friend. But this new business endeavor is kicking my butt right now. ;)

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Apologies for jumping on but I could not find the answer to this particular question in this thread.

Specifically, how long can a fish battle an active ich infection? Specifically, 4 month old tank. All parameters stable and pretty much exactly what you see on the red Sea black bucket. Royal Gramma showed up one morning with a few icy spots. This happened after he had been in the tank for more than three weeks. No fish added since.

Tanks is 35 gallon plus ten gallon sump mixed reef. Only other fish are a pair of clowns, a tiny shrimp gobynand 2 small blue-green chromis.

Did a lot of research and, as my second tank is being built and because he has always been skittish, I decided to just increase food and help him through it. Two weeks later, the poor guy has good days and bad days. Seldom are ich spots visible. He eats greedily 3X per day but always looks weak at some point on the average day

He is skittish but am debating catching him and treating him but, I am not sure I will get him and it will stress him for sure. Poor guy. Also concerned the treatment will be hard on him.

Once second tank is ready, another 3 weeks, the plan is to try to trap all, treat all and go fallow in DT.

Any suggestions for this poor guy?

Thanks so much!

Ric365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys according what i read from this thread i found little bit knowledge
but i cannot still find the answer where ich stay? does it stay on coral base or in the coral it self?
i mean for example acropora has always come with the base cement.. does ich stay on the cement or it stays on the body of acropora it self?
hope someone can give me an answer and can solve my curiosity

thnks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys according what i read from this thread i found little bit knowledge
but i cannot still find the answer where ich stay? does it stay on coral base or in the coral it self?
i mean for example acropora has always come with the base cement.. does ich stay on the cement or it stays on the body of acropora it self?
hope someone can give me an answer and can solve my curiosity

thnks
It should stay on any non living tissue such as the base or the frag plug for SPS. For LPS it can attach on the exposed white coral skeleton or underside.

Ric365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it true if copper can stay in our substrate like glass, pump etc and sometime it can breaktrough to our system?
does the carbon active or cuprisorb not help to decrease the copper who stay in the substrate?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it true if copper can stay in our substrate like glass, pump etc and sometime it can breaktrough to our system?
does the carbon active or cuprisorb not help to decrease the copper who stay in the substrate?
GAC and cuprisorb will decrease copper in the water. The risk is if it can remove the copper as quickly as it is leaching from the substrate. Plenty of people have treated tanks with copper and then gone on to turn them into reef tanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back