Introduction

bhudson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello REEF2REEF !

I'm new to the Saltwater monster but I've enjoyed learning much over the past 3 or 4 months.

I added saltwater and Caribsea Rock/Sand to a Red Sea Peninsula ( 26 gallon ) on Oct 9th. I began a fishless cycle on Oct 10th, and the cycle was complete Nov 11th.

Nov 12th I added 2 small Clownfish. I have paid close attention to water testing and haven't seen a bit of Ammonia or Nitrite since fish were added. I've been good about water changes to keep Nitrates down, and generally have changed between 5 and 10 gallons a week so far.

Then I made what I now consider a mistake... on Nov 25th I added 3 torch corals ( dipped for good measure ) to my tank. The next morning, the Brown algae appeared. Only a few spots. Quarter size. Then it began to get larger. I did a 10 gallon water change already.. cleaned the sand and rock best I could. Toothbrush and gravel vacuum. That looked good for a day or so, but the algae came back strong.

The pictures here are what it looks like now. Nov 29th.

I just tested my water . This past hour.

Temp 76.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate Between 5 and 10ppm I'm guessing? The colors on the API test kit can be tough to read sometimes.
pH 7.9
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.024
Alk dKH 9.7

I haven't been running my protein skimmer because I can't seem to get it dialed in. I've just had it turned off...

I've reduced my lighting to 30% 9 hours/day . I'm afraid to reduce it further because of the torches.

So a couple questions if I may..

What can I do to help clear up the algae? Should I be patient? Can I wait this out? Or is there a proactive measure I can take?

Also, what can I do to lower my dKH? My LFS is telling me I should be closer to 8.5 dKH.

Any info is much appreciated. Cheers from Delaware, USA.

-Bill

20221129_131306.jpg
20221129_131312.jpg

20221129_142526.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved Orange transperant R2R 10-18-22.png

The diatoms are part of the cycling process, May I ask what kind of light you are running?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello REEF2REEF !

I'm new to the Saltwater monster but I've enjoyed learning much over the past 3 or 4 months.

I added saltwater and Caribsea Rock/Sand to a Red Sea Peninsula ( 26 gallon ) on Oct 9th. I began a fishless cycle on Oct 10th, and the cycle was complete Nov 11th.

Nov 12th I added 2 small Clownfish. I have paid close attention to water testing and haven't seen a bit of Ammonia or Nitrite since fish were added. I've been good about water changes to keep Nitrates down, and generally have changed between 5 and 10 gallons a week so far.

Then I made what I now consider a mistake... on Nov 25th I added 3 torch corals ( dipped for good measure ) to my tank. The next morning, the Brown algae appeared. Only a few spots. Quarter size. Then it began to get larger. I did a 10 gallon water change already.. cleaned the sand and rock best I could. Toothbrush and gravel vacuum. That looked good for a day or so, but the algae came back strong.

Temp 76.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate Between 5 and 10ppm I'm guessing? The colors on the API test kit can be tough to read sometimes.
pH 7.9
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.024
Alk dKH 9.7

I haven't been running my protein skimmer because I can't seem to get it dialed in. I've just had it turned off...

I've reduced my lighting to 30% 9 hours/day . I'm afraid to reduce it further because of the torches.

What can I do to help clear up the algae? Should I be patient? Can I wait this out? Or is there a proactive measure I can take?

Also, what can I do to lower my dKH? My LFS is telling me I should be closer to 8.5 dKH.

-Bill

20221129_131306.jpg
20221129_131312.jpg

20221129_142526.jpg
These are likely diatoms and often associated with new setups that contain new sand and dry rock producing silicates in the water promoting this stuff. While it will diminish in time, Many new aquarists do not like the sight of it and you can sure siphon surfaces to get rid of diatom. Also adding liquid bacteria such as Microbacter 7 or XLM at 1.5ml per 10 gallons daily will help.
To reduce its buildup, you can reduce white light intensity a little or hours of white light daily and add some snails such as: Astrea-Turbo grazer-cerith-nerite- nassarius and trochus.

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
Also - The API kit youre using well known for false readings and often show levels lower than they are. As tank is continuing to seed, occasionally take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello REEF2REEF !

Temp 76.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
pH 7.9
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.024
Alk dKH 9.7

-Bill

20221129_131306.jpg
20221129_131312.jpg

20221129_142526.jpg

Hi Bill and Welcome! Glad you joined. Think it was more you happened to enter ugly phase just as you added torches. I'm jealous that you are close to Pacific East Aquaculture. Last November I was on the Eastern Shore of MD and was able to drop in on them. I took this video:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Delaware:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
bhudson

bhudson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are likely diatoms and often associated with new setups that contain new sand and dry rock producing silicates in the water promoting this stuff. While it will diminish in time, Many new aquarists do not like the sight of it and you can sure siphon surfaces to get rid of diatom. Also adding liquid bacteria such as Microbacter 7 or XLM at 1.5ml per 10 gallons daily will help.
To reduce its buildup, you can reduce white light intensity a little or hours of white light daily and add some snails such as: Astrea-Turbo grazer-cerith-nerite- nassarius and trochus.

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
Also - The API kit youre using well known for false readings and often show levels lower than they are. As tank is continuing to seed, occasionally take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
Thank you vetteguy.

I am making RODI water here at home.

I have a few Salifert kits and the Alk reading is a Hannah checker. As money allows I will invest in better testing kits, but for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, I was told the API could get me started, and at least through the cycle.

Is there a testing kit for nitrate that you recommend?

I will add liquid bacteria. I have some PNS substrate sauce I can dose into the tank. I will also move on the snail addition. That thought had crossed my mind but your suggestion moves me to add a couple to the tank sooner than later.

Appreciate the information.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you vetteguy.

I have a few Salifert kits and the Alk reading is a Hannah checker. As money allows I will invest in better testing kits, but for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, I was told the API could get me started, and at least through the cycle.

I will add liquid bacteria. I have some PNS substrate sauce I can dose into the tank. I will also move on the snail addition. That thought had crossed my mind but your suggestion moves me to add a couple to the tank sooner than later.

Varying opinions on testing kits depending upon what one is testing. For NO3, I like the Hanna High Range Nitrate Checker.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you vetteguy.

Hanna nitrate as well as salifert

OP
OP
bhudson

bhudson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bill and Welcome! Glad you joined. Think it was more you happened to enter ugly phase just as you added torches. I'm jealous that you are close to Pacific East Aquaculture. Last November I was on the Eastern Shore of MD and was able to drop in on them. I took this video:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Delaware:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Thanks for the information and the links!

I met Dr. Mac for the first time just last weekend. He's a great guy. A wealth of knowledge. That's where I picked up the torches.

I'll look into the build thread. Appreciate that. I'll watch your video here in just a few minutes.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a ReefLED 50 from Red Sea. Thanks for the reply.
I have found that two much white, red, and green in the spectrum settings grow diatoms. I would suggest looking at your spectrum and make some adjustments. Also once the nutrient at balanced out you should be good.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Your tank is still young and needs time to balance itself out. The ugly sand and algae will fade as long as you keep up on your maintenance.

I'm sure it will look awesome before too long!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Nice tank. It can be difficult at times to tell dinoflagellates from diatoms but yours look like diatoms to me. Reducing your white light can help as can increasing water flow. That said, diatoms are are pretty much normal part of a cycle and they will die off. You can siphon them during a water change but I would not siphon more that about 25% of the sand at a time. Stirring the sand brings fresh sand to the surface and diatoms utilize the silica, so more fresh silica, more fuel for diatoms... Mainly just try to not let it take over the tank by cleaning as needed. Adding PNS, Microbacter 7, XLM or Clean or several other bacteria products can also help.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back