Is it just me?

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I just a crabby college student with too much time on my hands, or does it bother people when vendors or ebayers use some popular zoa name (nuclear greens were up on ebay a day or so ago, they were actually radioactive dragon eyes) to make a quick buck or draw more attention to their coral? It drives me nuts...with such a great source like zoaid out there, why don't they bother to look up the actual name of the zoa? I would hold much more respect for them if they did. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, just noticed this and decided to rant a little :D :lol:

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rant

I think you are justified with your argument. We see these things but others will be caught off guard and will purchase not knowing. I say that too!!

dustin

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i correct them and nine times outa ten they pull auction or fix it you should to im not sure if ebay has reg's on mis labeling stuff but i tell them that ill let ebay know there misrepresenting there sale lol they usaly fix it lol

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good idea reefboy. Good of you to take your time and energy to better the hobby in that way.

It sometimes is difficult because even on Zoa ID there are pictures of 4 or 5 similar but not the exact same zoanthids under the same name. If they are way off I think they should be corrected.

Last edited:

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but im looking anyway lol so not going outa my way luckly most all have labeled there stuff right or give generic label but when i see a scam trying to take place i let them know that theres somone watching thats not a pigeon which i think we all should do if we see this.Because i know i miss a fiew lol, spending to much time watching zoafrags auctions lol

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone purchased any frags from zoafrags, we live across the water in the UK and my mate just had a mega expensive frag pack from them and things not look as he expected lol, i did warn him that colours are really popping in their pictures and there are some giveaways like looking in the shadows to see how intense the blue light is, man one picture u needed goggles to filter the blue glare lol
anyway he got the zoas quick and heat pack still warm, but had a leak in box as bag was only tied in a knott and nearly all the polyps were loose as in not attached to anything which may actually may be better for the type of journey they had to make.

anyone know if loose bunches of polyps is a good way or even a regular way to ship in your part of the world?

but to the sellers benefit they have promised to replace any that not survive once they settle in his tank so that be cool if they follow through with promise.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoafrags

I buy from the regularly. I havn't had any problems with any of the product that I have purchased. If you have had problems let them know. I am sure they will remmedy it for you. The colorations depend on lighting. I have all t5's which they do look different that the MH pics.
Loose polyps are ok. I have recieved some from them loose with no problems.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive recieved some not as pic'ed but have always colored up he buys large colonys from growers in cali and frags them up and somtimes you might get some that have ben shaded.But they have always ben the color he's posted but lighting a big factor if your not using halides stuff will look diffrent, but he's a good guy he'll make sure your happy.

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ones that I bought from him were as nice as the pictures and he even threw in a really nice freebie! I have only bought once, so I may not be a good judge.

Sandy

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all t5's which they do look different that the MH pics.

i dont think the "depends if halide or just T5 tube" scenario is actually true, its a well used and just an easy convinient excuse to offer.

most ppl seem to have the standard combo mix of white and blue tubes in their luminaires which is nowhere near the blue spectrum used by 20k halides with powerful actinic tube suppliment.

i have 20k halides on main reef and high blue (equivalent 20k) tubes on frag tank and my zoa/paly morphs look exactly the same in both systems

so if you were to change your tubes and/or add pure actinic tubes to match the power of bluer spectrums of those zoa/paly pictures used by sellers then yours will also look the same and it will also give you a good idea of wats actually being used regardless of light detail descriptions given.

i will also add to cover my butt lol, that yes different makes of halide bulbs of = "sold as kelvin" do seem to emit different depth of blue spectrum to our eyes view.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back