Is this too much? Fish stocking

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told it’s also a great idea if someone is looking to buy a leopard wrasse, they should get one from a hobbyist that keeps them in the tank healthy:thinking-face:. For example, to get one from a member of Reef2Reef that has had success with them
Ill never buy one again from a LFS. I bought 2 from two different LFS. I would try one from Dr. Reef but i got the fish i want.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, this isn’t always true, QT isn’t always mandatory.
I agree. What is truly the main reason to put fish in QT? It is to make sure they are healthy, look plump, look active, and don’t have signs of stress. But if putting a fish into QT is causing stress…IMO this is not going to help it, and I’d rather put it straight into my Dt.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, this isn’t always true, QT isn’t always mandatory.
It is not always mandatory. Notice I said "chances are"

With the state of shipping, holding times being longer than ever, and an increasingly dirty supply chain, the Chances Are good that out of that long list, someone will be sick.

Hopefully it's the kind of sick that only kills itself. In reality, it's a complete crap shoot.

I was OP 2 years ago with a 90g bowfront, stocked up without qt.

Then velvet entered the chat. New list time!

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the amount of time a fish stays in QT should be short. I’ve never been a fan of advising people to keep fish in QT for weeks, especially if it’s a bigger or really active fish, ie a powder blue tang, because let’s be honest, who here has a QT that is at least 70 gallons?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. What is truly the main reason to put fish in QT? It is to make sure they are healthy, look plump, look active, and don’t have signs of stress. But if putting a fish into QT is causing stress…IMO this is not going to help it, and I’d rather put it straight into my Dt.

yikes..

because velvet can kill all your fish... flukes can cause slow deaths... ich is less worrisome but people have problems sometimes. Just step into the disease section... people quit the hobby after they lose $1000 of fish.

Some people have to learn the hard way. When your fish start dying, you will consider QT.

Why kill 10 fish just to add one?

QT isn't stressful unless you set up a poorly designed QT just like a poorly designed DT would be stressful.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the amount of time a fish stays in QT should be short. I’ve never been a fan of advising people to keep fish in QT for weeks, especially if it’s a bigger or really active fish, ie a powder blue tang, because let’s be honest, who here has a QT that is at least 70 gallons?

I have a 6 foot 70g??? QT. My DT is 4 ft ;)

I also have a bunch of smaller ones.

Almost all of them are rubbermades or plastic because glass is a pain to move.

If you kill all your fish, you may change your mind. or pulling all your fish out to go fallow (no fish) for 60 days is NOT fun.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DISCLAIMER!!! This obviously depends on the health of fish.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No No No. The main reason to quarantine a fish is Not to keep the new fish safe. The Purpose of QT is to keep the rest of your fish safe from it by ensuring it isn't bringing in something you don't want.
Getting to fatten it up and ensure It is calm in quarantine is a fortunate byproduct, not the purpose.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DISCLAIMER!!! This obviously depends on the health of fish.

You don't know the health. The fish can look good and be eating and still infect your tank. People generally don't go around putting fish with obvious velvet in their tank (except maybe Paul).

Please tell me you are joking:( :face-with-tears-of-joy:

No. I am not joking. People who bash QT are the same ones who have crappy QT's.

I don't use it for a goby or a single fish though.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes..

because velvet can kill all your fish... flukes can cause slow deaths... ich is less worrisome but people have problems sometimes. Just step into the disease section... people quit the hobby after they lose $1000 of fish.

Some people have to learn the hard way. When your fish start dying, you will consider QT.

QT isn't stressful unless you set up a poorly designed QT just like a poorly designed DT would be stressful.
I do QT remember? All of my fish have been QT and I plan on QT all my fish. I’m just saying I wouldn’t QT in a few occasions.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... Current QT ...
PXL_20220927_195341234.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... Current QT ...
PXL_20220927_195341234.jpg

they look healthy and not stressed to me. I mean I would have given them more hiding personally but they look like they are doing good.

I do QT remember? All of my fish have been QT and I plan on QT all my fish. I’m just saying I wouldn’t QT in a few occasions.

ya but it only takes ONE fish to kill the rest. What if you add a leopard after your 1st 15 fish and it brings in a disease and kills 10 of them?

Just sayin...

Your choice but realize it could turn out bad.

I will say it again, a QT tank is not stressful for a leopard wrasse as long as you have sand and hiding places.

If you set up at least an observation tank for leopards, good chance you will keep out velvet.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No No No. The main reason to quarantine a fish is Not to keep the new fish safe. The Purpose of QT is to keep the rest of your fish safe from it by ensuring it isn't bringing in something you don't want.
Getting to fatten it up and ensure It is calm in quarantine is a fortunate byproduct, not the purpose.
U are correct. That is also the reason to QT

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they look healthy and not stressed to me. I mean I would have given them more hiding personally but they look like they are doing good.

ya but it only takes ONE fish to kill the rest. What if you add a leopard after your 1st 15 fish and it brings in a disease and kills 10 of them?

Just sayin...

Your choice but realize it could turn out bad.
I agree. And what you say makes total sense. But what happens when you QT a fish for several weeks, added a whole bunch of things to the QT fish, you put him in the DT and after all that he still gets sick, then gets all the others sick. Then what?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I set up a 4’ 91 gallon tank that’s been running for over 2 months now. I made a stocking list but I’ve been constantly changing it. I am making the preparations for a Reef so I do need my fish reef safe, or at least not prone to nip too much. I don’t want to over crowd, but I don’t want to look at the tank and just see 3 or 4 fish out and about. Here’s the list:

Currently own:

Pair of Amphiprion Bullet Mocha Vinci (female)
Amphiprion Naked Mocha (male)
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma/Chaetodontoplus-? - (Black Velvet Angelfish/Black Phantom Angelfish Hybrid)

Stocking plan:

Valenciennea puellaris - (Diamond Watchman Goby)
Ecsenius midas - (Midas Blenny)
Oxycirrhites typu - (Longnose Hawkfish)
Siganus magnificus - (Magnificent Foxface)
Cirrhilabrus naokoae - (Naoko Fairy Wrasse)
Halichoeres chrysus - (Yellow Coris Wrasse)
Ctenochaetus flavicauda - (White Tail Bristletooth tang)
x 4 Pseudanthias bimaculatus - (Bimaculatus Anthias)
x 1 Pseudanthias squamipinnis - (Lyretail Anthias)
Halichoeres melasmapomus - (Earmuff Wrasse)
Paracheilinus attenautus - (Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis - (Golden Rhomboid Wrasse -supermale-)
Macropharyngodon meleagris - (Leopard Wrasse -female-)
Opistognathus rosenblatti - (Blue Dot Jawfish)
Genicanthus bellus - (Bellus Angelfish -female-)
Stonogobiops draculus and Alpheus bellulus - (Dracula Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair)

What do you guys think? I know I’m taking a chance with the Angel hybrid, but if anyone knows how valuable that specimen is, you know I’m going to try my hardest to have it co-exist with coral. Can the solo male or female Lyretail Anthias mix with the Bimac Anthias and not cause problems with the others? Will the fact that there are more Anthias keep the lone male or female lyretail happy or should I just cut it from the list? Any recommendations when it comes to keeping Blue Dot Jawfish and goby/pistol shrimp pairs and what type of shrimp to get? Any stocking suggestions or cuts? Really any info from you guys. I’m hoping to hear @icantthink ‘s thoughts and comments on this, and hopefully he’ll like I used the scientific names lol. Thank you everyone!
I see problems with the small fish fighting for territory, depending on your Aquascape. Also - remember the size that the larger fish are likely to increase too. It seems like about 50% 'too much'.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes..

QTing fish is NEVER 100% fool proof. It’s a good way to stop problems, not prevent them

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t that a lot of fish for a QT? No aggression?

It is a lot of fish in a 120 gallon box.

They all lived together in a 180 until the tank had a catastrophic failure. They are waiting here until the 312g is ready.

I got Ick into my system from cross contamination and stupidly, having my QT stacked over my sump. It never bothered me, or any of the fish, but was there.

Since they are all out, I decided to medicate to remove the ick because it was convenient.. 2.5 ppm copper safe and they NEVER miss a beat. As you can see, I like tangs and triggers so I feed, A Lot.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back