It's just a tank

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it mean that the mollies scared for dear life photo made me chuckle? :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
amused jaw drop GIF

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proof is in the pudding. Is that how the saying goes?
@dvgyfresh @fishguy242 It aint silver sides. And I know my ribbons love shrimp.

That’s awesome! Keep it up and I’m sure you’d have no problems with the ribbon in DT , it’ll know when it’s feeding time

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s awesome! Keep it up and I’m sure you’d have no problems with the ribbon in DT , it’ll know when it’s feeding time
Still watching for any signs of needed treatment. The ideas you and @fishguy242 gave are great and worked!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proof is in the pudding. Is that how the saying goes?
@dvgyfresh @fishguy242 It aint silver sides. And I know my ribbons love shrimp.

She is a good looking eel. and very healthy looking. As long as she continues to eat for you I wouldn't worry about treatment. The only concern for eels other than obvious signs of injury, would be internal parasites. As long as she is eating, that is not a concern; if she ever goes off eating there will be plenty of time to make an assessment. An insatiable appetite right before stopping eating is an indicator. Eels are very resistant to protazoan diseases, so there's no concern there.

Sorry I'm a nut for nutrition so this is unsolicited but you may find it interesting. Over time one of the big downfalls in feeding predators, is a high thiaminese diet. Thiaminese binds vitamin B1 and will cause premature death. Crustaceans do contain thiaminese, but here's the caveat, they also contain a good amount of B1. The trick is to buy fresh when you can and freeze in small batches. When used readily the B1 will override the thiaminese, using old frozen food over time the vitamin content will deplete. The problem is when people buy the cheapest old frozen shrimp they can find and keep it in their freezer for who knows how long.

Hikari brand silversides is a good option if you are in a pinch for a fish offering. Silversides is a common name and many of the brands do use fish which contains a high amount of thiaminese. Hikari brand silversides uses Pseudohemiculter dispar and does not contain thiaminese.

Mussels also contain a high amount of vitamin B1 and salmon is the best dead fish you can you offer, high in efa's.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She is a good looking eel. and very healthy looking. As long as she continues to eat for you I wouldn't worry about treatment. The only concern for eels other than obvious signs of injury, would be internal parasites. As long as she is eating, that is not a concern; if she ever goes off eating there will be plenty of time to make an assessment. An insatiable appetite right before stopping eating is an indicator. Eels are very resistant to protazoan diseases, so there's no concern there.

Sorry I'm a nut for nutrition so this is unsolicited but you may find it interesting. Over time one of the big downfalls in feeding predators, is a high thiaminese diet. Thiaminese binds vitamin B1 and will cause premature death. Crustaceans do contain thiaminese, but here's the caveat, they also contain a good amount of B1. The trick is to buy fresh when you can and freeze in small batches. When used readily the B1 will override the thiaminese, using old frozen food over time the vitamin content will deplete. The problem is when people buy the cheapest old frozen shrimp they can find and keep it in their freezer for who knows how long.

Hikari brand silversides is a good option if you are in a pinch for a fish offering. Silversides is a common name and many of the brands do use fish which contains a high amount of thiaminese. Hikari brand silversides uses Pseudohemiculter dispar and does not contain thiaminese.

Mussels also contain a high amount of vitamin B1 and salmon is the best dead fish you can you offer, high in efa's.
I never feed a lot of shrimp. I always thought of it as junk food, due to the fact I never knew was in it. Nutrition is key for long term. Never say sorry about caring for the well being of anything. I don't want to make any mistakes and if someone see's I am offering too much of a certain something, I will stop right in my tracks.

I am still going to fed her live mollies. That is going to be the main staple. I still want to offer her a lot of other options. The shrimp she got was junk. It's what we would eat. I hate the things.

Hopefully that all makes sense... I still worry on cyanide collecting methods and don't even know what to look for.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed a lot of shrimp. I always thought of it as junk food, due to the fact I never knew was in it. Nutrition is key for long term. Never say sorry about caring for the well being of anything. I don't want to make any mistakes and if someone see's I am offering too much of a certain something, I will stop right in my tracks.

I am still going to fed her live mollies. That is going to be the main staple. I still want to offer her a lot of other options. The shrimp she got was junk. It's what we would eat. I hate the things.

Hopefully that all makes sense... I still worry on cyanide collecting methods and don't even know what to look for.

Cyanide is really impossible to spot until it's too late. There is a neurological component which will display as seizures, and death soon follows. I've dissected suspected cyanide deaths and found the heart exploded and blood in the cavity. Blindness can also be a symptom, but in eels it;s near impossible to spot, since their eyesight isn't so good anyway. Cyanide does seem to kill sooner than later, although I have seen blindness and death a year later. I suspect copper also has a contribution to blindness. Just stopping eating for no reason some also consider may be an indicator of cyanide, lethargy usually accompanies this.

Do you know the region she came from.

Your food selections are excellent.

Oh, am I cruel. I use a feeding stick to herd the mollies where I want them go.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cyanide is really impossible to spot until it's too late. There is a neurological component which will display as seizures, and death soon follows. I've dissected suspected cyanide deaths and found the heart exploded and blood in the cavity. Blindness can also be a symptom, but in eels it;s near impossible to spot, since their eyesight isn't so good anyway. Cyanide does seem to kill sooner than later, although I have seen blindness and death a year later. I suspect copper also has a contribution to blindness. Just stopping eating for no reason some also consider may be an indicator of cyanide, lethargy usually accompanies this.

Do you know the region she came from.

Your food selections are excellent.

Oh, am I cruel. I use a feeding stick to herd the mollies where I want them go.
I will definitely try to find out. I know indo still uses cyanide and the phillipines are reported to not use it so much.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She was collected in the Philippines.
Last I was reading on collection and then mentioned it when talking to a local who collects there, that has mostly stopped. They are using traps for most eels and fish. Amazing what you can do with a busted up crab tied to the inside of a mutli opening trap. Is actually a win win, from what he was saying. they get more types of fish in a single go. FOr eels and other predators, they drop traps at dusk and pick up at dawn. Then rebait and drop it then pick up before dusk. This also increases their haul with less effort.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last I was reading on collection and then mentioned it when talking to a local who collects there, that has mostly stopped. They are using traps for most eels and fish. Amazing what you can do with a busted up crab tied to the inside of a mutli opening trap. Is actually a win win, from what he was saying. they get more types of fish in a single go. FOr eels and other predators, they drop traps at dusk and pick up at dawn. Then rebait and drop it then pick up before dusk. This also increases their haul with less effort.
Yuh. I was chatting with eric. Im 100x more happy now. I can blame only me if all goes wrong.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuh. I was chatting with eric. Im 100x more happy now. I can blame only me if all goes wrong.
I wish indo would learn something and start doing that. using cyanide annoys me to no end.

I mean, I can dive in FL, catch wrasse with 2 nets or use a busted snail to lure them into a net. Not saying wrasse are as hard as others, but I have caught morays without issue, atlantic blue tangs, numerous angels and the list goes on. Just takes some practice. never once have I used anything other than a net. (outside of the occasional tang, angel or damsel on a sabiki rig while getting greenbacks next tot he rocks at the jetty lol)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing, back in the day, maybe before some of you were born, the Philippines were notorious for using cyanide. There was a point when no one would buy anything from the Philippines. Then for more than 20 maybe 25 years cyanide was gone. Then sadly I learned a few years ago from a few industry insiders, that cyanide was back with a vengeance. It really puts a damper on things when disease is already at an unsustainable rate.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny thing, back in the day, maybe before some of you were born, the Philippines were notorious for using cyanide. There was a point when no one would buy anything from the Philippines. Then for more than 20 maybe 25 years cyanide was gone. Then sadly I learned a few years ago from a few industry insiders, that cyanide was back with a vengeance. It really puts a damper on things when disease is already at an unsustainable rate.

That sucks. I hope she wasn't obtained in such a way. Eric seems to know the collectors. She was brought in on june 3rd.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back