I’m getting a Moorish Idol tomorrow

  • Thread starter Thread starter JasonK84
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2018
Messages
2,975
Reaction score
8,044
Location
Amarillo
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a Moorish idol shipped to me. I’m expecting it tomorrow around 4 to 5 PM. I bought it through Aqua Locker and it is from South Pacific 2 1/2” to 3 1/2”.

I’ve got a fully cycled QT ready to go at a S.G. Of 1.017 and Copper Power dosed to 1ppm (Hanna)

Other meds on hand include:
PraziPro
GC
Chloroquine Phosphate (ebay)
Kanaplex
Neoplex
NFG

I also have Focus and Garlic Guard.

Any advice?
 
These fish are difficult to get eating in aquariums and are very sensitive to water chemistry fluctuations. Take your time acclimating and keep lights dim in the room for the first couple days. Moorish idols need similar conditions to the natural sea water so if it were me, I'd acclimate at minimum S.G.1.023 and reduce the copper to .50ppm get him eating and then increase it slowly over 3-4 days.

Sounds like you have a good plan overall... 3 - 4 weeks copper treatment at 2ppm, remove all copper and dose 2 round Prazipro with 50% water change between doses, and feed GC + kanaplex + focus + garlic guard for 2 weeks.
 
Last edited:
With fish being shipped, bags accumulate ammonia but the low pH keeps it less toxic. If planning on drip acclimating then you probably want to add an ammonia binder to bag as soon as you open it. Also double check salinity. Moving a fish from high to lower not a big deal, moving from low to high can cause issuss. Try to match the salinity of the bag. Getting them to eat is critical. Copper is an appetite suppressant as is prazi. Take your time ramping up the copper.

So this something I have experimented with. If the fish arrives thin and doesn't eat by day 9 then I move to non-medicaid tank. If he is a fatty and isn't eating then after 2 weeks I move him to non-medicaid tank. I have never saved a thin new arrival that didn't eat with the first two weeks. Once he starts eating you can resume treatment if necessary.
 
Last edited:
These fish are difficult to get eating in aquariums and are very sensitive to water chemistry fluctuations. Take your time acclimating and keep lights dim in the room for the first couple days. Moorish idols need similar conditions to the natural sea water so if it were me, I'd acclimate at minimum S.G.1.023 and reduce the copper to .50ppm get him eating and then increase it slowly over 3-4 days.

Sounds like you have a good plan overall... 3 - 4 weeks copper treatment at 2ppm, remove all copper and dose 2 round Prazipro with 50% water change between doses, and feed GC + kanaplex + focus + garlic guard for 2 weeks.
I set my QT at 1.017 because Aqua Locker says they ship between 1.017 and 1.021. I will float and release keeping acclimation time as short and stress free as possible.
 
With fish being shipped, bags accumulate ammonia but the low pH keeps it less toxic. If planning on drip acclimating then you probably want to add an ammonia binder to bag as soon as you open it. Also double check salinity. Moving a fish from high to lower not a big deal, moving from low to high can cause issuss. Try to match the salinity of the bag. Getting them to eat is critical. Copper is an appetite suppressant as is prazi. Take your time ramping up the copper.

So this something I have experimented with. If the fish arrives thin and doesn't eat by day 9 then I move to non-medicaid tank. If he is a fatty and isn't eating then after 2 weeks I move him to non-medicaid tank. I have never saved a thin new arrival that didn't eat with the first two weeks. Once he starts eating you can resume treatment if necessary.
Good info. Hoping he comes in fat and eats soon. I’ve got several frozen food choices and some NLS pellets. Also nori sheets. I’ll start with offering clam on the half and nori after settling in. Then if it eats I’ll start medicated food the next day.
 
He is floating.

928E601C-B6F8-43E4-9E18-B57023548CDA.jpeg
 
Nice! Keep us posted with some pics
He has no color at the moment but I’m sure that will improve once warmed up and out of the bag. I’ll keep posting here throughout QT and once I introduce into DT (if we get there).
 
I think the difficulty in keeping them is WAY overstated. My lfs said getting them alive for the first week is tough..... many die shortly after shipping...... Once they survive the initial trip, if you properly acclimate they said success rate is very high and most of their service customers who have them have had them for years
 
I’d observe for a couple days before starting any meds. I’d also try some live black worms and some lrs food if available. These fish need multiple feedings per day. They are great fish if they can eat enough. I had one for a couple years a long time ago.
 
No LRS around here. I do have Rod’s predator mix and fish only mix. Also mysis and jumbo mysis. Clam on half, chopped clam, silverside, krill, 2 different angel food mixes with sponge, and 1 or 2 more frozen options. I’ll move to Rod’s fish only if he doesn’t take to the clam on the half shell.
 
I also had one for 2 1/2 years a long time ago. It died while on vacation under a friends watch. Take cherrystone clam on half shell and black worms for sure to start. Mysis on the shell after a couple of days and work in some algae. Don't leave clam in the tank long to foul your water so get a dozen small ones and keep in fridge. Good Luck. They are awesome fish, but a lot of work to get going. BE PATIENT
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new