Jebao quality

cbedfellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the all for saving money and using jeabo
Actually they are all I have ever purchases and don’t have any complaints in terms of quality .
they move a lot of water for a fraction of the price.

Most of the pumps and wave makers I have I had for a few years .

one thing to remember is never clean them with vinegar .
I am not sure one is actually saving using Jebao, I have owned a number of them and for the price they are quite good. Big difference when compared to a German made pump though, every Jebao I have owned has lasted around 2-3 years, some less, and they all have a high pitched squeal at higher flow settings.

I have 10 year old non Jebao pumps that are still going strong, I am not saying Jebao are a bad pump, for the price they are quite good. But for me, and in most cases having to replace every few years may equate to a higher cost.

I still run a Jebao 24/7 in a reactor, but its a bigger then recommend pump, run at a lower setting to eliminate squeal. My water change pump is a Jebao and it’s also my emergency backup.

Jebao are cheap, they move water but for a return pump in my experience I would have a spare on hand.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure one is actually saving using Jebao, I have owned a number of them and for the price they are quite good. Big difference when compared to a German made pump though, every Jebao I have owned has lasted around 2-3 years, some less, and they all have a high pitched squeal at higher flow settings.

I have 10 year old non Jebao pumps that are still going strong, I am not saying Jebao are a bad pump, for the price they are quite good. But for me, and in most cases having to replace every few years may equate to a higher cost.

I still run a Jebao 24/7 in a reactor, but its a bigger then recommend pump, run at a lower setting to eliminate squeal. My water change pump is a Jebao and it’s also my emergency backup.

Jebao are cheap, they move water but for a return pump in my experience I would have a spare on hand.
No matter what pump you have, what heaters you have, what skimmer you’ve got, what wavemaker or powerhead… you gotta have a back up plan, no two ways about it…

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever it's worth, I just moved to a jebao dcp 13000 return and man.. it is a ripper and darn close to silent. I had some algae I wanted to see if I could get rid of by faster tank turnover and it worked really well.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really can't spend a ton on a d/c wavemaker but I am tired of trying to get flow correct with ac pumps. I know jebao is a chinese brand but they are in my price range. I am worried about stray current, flow reversal, or or failing in a short period. Can someone with experience with these pumps add their input? I am also looking for other recommendations.
I have hed the best results from this brand over any other. I do still have a mag9 that is in my swamp cooler now, but uses to many amps for 24/7 use.

I bought a back up jebao pump 7 years ago, and still have not cracked the box to use it, same for my calcium recirc pump 7 years and still perfect.

Worse pump has been aquatrance by reef octopus, Ive been through 3 of them in 12 years. I use 2 on a old skimmer, one pump dies every 3 to 4 years.

What you dont know is, jebao puts out a great pump, more people are using these then any other one brand, and you do not see many failure post. I see more name brand failure than anything else.

Now fact is DC pumps dont last as long as AC pumps, so there is a higher failure rate with DC, but on the flip side, the electricity bill savings pays for your DC pump time and time again, so this is a no brainer.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to argue, but....
Yes all DC pumps have failure rates, but there are hundreds of thousands of Jebaos sold yearly, and you went to a few obscure sites and found a few. Thats to be expected out of any pump.

I personally over the last 30 years seen way more failures from the name brands like ecotech. Even an american company rebrands these and has a great reputation.

Last note, almost all DC pumps come from China and are rebranded and you will pay triple or more for an identical product.

These same scare tactics were used 10 years ago on black boxs LEDs, and you just dont here of these anymore.

Case in point, that hits your opinion hard. I ordered reefbreeders UV strips and spent about 900 total.

Chinese power supply, no better than my black boxs, complicated cheap set up procedure
Chinese light housing same as aliexpress
Chinese LEDs

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be concerned about lethal currents with 24V DC devices, I would be more worried about stray currents affecting other devices. I also would not use a grounding probe, especially if you tank is not earth leakage protected.

No problem in my opinion with Jebao pumps, they are like most other submersible devices and are sealed very well.
had an 112V aquatrance 3000 on my skimmer fail last week, pulled the pump plugged it in, and stuck my finger in the volute to see if I could manually spin start the pump, and as soon as I touched the wet inside, full 112 V

Good news is, even being plugged in overnight on my tank, I had zero losses, I cant even tell you if the water itself would have shocked me, probably not because no coral or fish were freaking out.

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the scp-120 for around a year and a half and it’s running like the day I bought it. I stay up on my maintenance and clean it fully every month or so. I’ve heard that not cleaning jebao pumps or cleaning in vinegar decreases the life expectancy.

cbedfellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what pump you have, what heaters you have, what skimmer you’ve got, what wavemaker or powerhead… you gotta have a back up plan, no two ways about it…
True but in my experience Jebao are not as long lasting as other brands I own or have owned. Everybody wants to justify their purchase and the bias in these kinds of threads is very apparent.

I wonder what brand of pump the original poster bought, I will buy Jebao in the future but not for a return pump and not if other brands are similar in price.

Gar802000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Jecod/Jebao controller just nearly burned the house down, lucky we were in when it happened. Looks like a splash of water must have got onto it, as it was slightly damp on the inside. They have no water sealing at all. Won’t be buying them again!

870AEFCD-C983-40AB-908E-DCEAAC27B371.jpeg

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But an aquarium controller must have some basic water protection.
ASk Apex. none of their stuff is at all. It's really cheaply built. When I had my ApexEL few years ago I was amazed how it felt like a $15 toy build at the dollar store
The Hydros has water protection you can splash it and it will not hurt anything.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASk Apex. none of their stuff is at all. It's really cheaply built. When I had my ApexEL few years ago I was amazed how it felt like a $15 toy build at the dollar store
The Hydros has water protection you can splash it and it will not hurt anything.
I miss the old Apex powerbars. In fact, I still have one working perfectly. Chunk of cold hard black Detroit steel and 4 screw holes. Nothing fancy. I hate that Apex decided they needed a color scheme and to make pretty good (really?) equipment look so cheap.

I also hate the artificial market for making your electronics and sump area a feature with neon lights and stuff. Wiring and electronics should be clean, neat, and accessible. RGB controller not required.

All these reefers skimping on equipment then buying a $500 piece of plywood with holes cut in it to mount stuff to.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I miss the old Apex powerbars. In fact, I still have one working perfectly. Chunk of cold hard black Detroit steel and 4 screw holes. Nothing fancy. I hate that Apex decided they needed a color scheme and to make pretty good (really?) equipment look so cheap.

I also hate the artificial market for making your electronics and sump area a feature with neon lights and stuff. Wiring and electronics should be clean, neat, and accessible. RGB controller not required.

All these reefers skimping on equipment then buying a $500 piece of plywood with holes cut in it to mount stuff to.
I have never used the old powerbars but I know alot of people say they are more durable than the eb32 ones now

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Jebao powerheads running 2 years and 1 dc main pump running 8 months all working flawlessly.
I just bought the big wifi Jebao return pump (20000) and I’ll be buying a backup. At this price point, for an internal DC pump, I’ll roll the dice.
It looks and feels incredibly solid. It’s dead silent. The clear impeller housing is clever to check for obstructions, the strainer is large, and the fittings look good. It will most likely never see Wi-Fi but the controller is easy to change the speed on (it will be plugged into an Apex outlet) and not too sensitive to accidentally change speed with an elbow.

I needed 10’+ of head height at 1000gph and my suggestions were Abyzz ($2,200) internal or Hammerhead External (within budget). I hate the idea of an external pump and The Hammerhead Hybrid Gold has as many negative reviews as positive. Also my electric bill already reads like the budget deficit of a small nation.

I hope it works well but at these prices I have nothing to lose. I’ve spent 2x as much on a pump 1/2 the size and had it die on me while I was 3,000 miles away. All equipment can and will fail. That’s what redundancy is for. How many reviews have you read that started with “well after x years my y finally died…”. We all have a magic number where if a piece of equipment fails we call it a success and buy the exact same thing or choose to leave it one star and move on. I could replace the Jebao once a year for 10 years vs the Abyzz’s cost. If the Abyzz made it 5-6 years maintenance free and the Jebao was replaced yearly, most would call it a win despite spending 2x as much.

I have read a lot of Jebao pump reviews over the past week- like…used google translate to read some German and Dutch reviews level of research…they’re not that bad- in fact there’s a lot of “been running for 5 years just fine” and the improvement over the last 1-2 years also stands out.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used the old powerbars but I know alot of people say they are more durable than the eb32 ones now
Honestly I think the issue is loading (cheap internals). The old bar only has the USB, no 24v “1link.” Aside from the EB832 not being meant to handle massive loads (giggity), the 24v seems to be a weak link. Neptune even says “don’t plug heaters or lights into a EB832.”

It seems like NO aquarium company actually engineers their equipment to run at 100%. I lost the 24v ports on an EB832 by running a COR-15 and some DOSing pumps.

I learned my lesson and don’t load any Neptune product more than 50%. It just sucks you need to account for that- essentially doubling your controller and lighting budget. I ran two COR-15 at 50% and ended up plugging each into their own one link module to avoid another problem.
It’s why I don’t use the Skyye lights. For PAR I’d need to run them at 100% and I have to assume they’re really only designed to be run at 70-80% before you start eating at their life. I had the issue with Kessil too. Followed the recommendations and placed 4, 360x’s over a 6’ shallow reed. I needed every bit out of them to get the PAR I wanted. Cleaned them religiously. They all died within 60 days of each other right at 2 years.

Back