Kessil Show Off Thread (Warning, may be picture heavy!)

Which Kessil Product Do You Use Or Have Used

• Total voters

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little slice lit by Kessil (2 A360WE display and an H80 Fuge)

23-jpg.652491

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone using the Aquatic Life hybrid... did anyone try tying the whole unit together using just the Kessil arm mounts? I shot Kessil and email and they said each arm mount is rated to hold a maximum of 5 times the weight of the light. 20 pounds for a single arm. This is for the regular mounting arm without extensions which would be required depending on how you tie in the T5's. I'm really wanting to keep the aesthetic of the mounting arms and hanging from the ceiling isn't really an option for me (tilted cathedral ceiling)
I asked this same question, and could the arm handle it yes, but if you have it mounted to the aquarium I would not recommend it as I don't know if the glass could handle the extra weight. If the arms are mounted to the stand with the extension mounts you may be able to.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did end up lowering the light to 8 inches off the waters surface. Tuned the AP700 down to 40% intensity. Took measurements with a Seneye Par meter and I have to say I am extremely impressed. I easily have 250-350 par all over the tank. And I noticed that corals that normally didn't extend polyps during the day (Boom's Blueberry Stag) suddenly had polyp extension! It is in my opinion that the AP700 matched with T5 is darn near the perfect setup :)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a Kessil H380 to light a refugium. The only problem that I am a little worried about is that the distance from the waterline to the ceiling surface in the cabinet is only 15 inch (38cm).

I am not sure how 'short' I can make the H380 so increasing the distance from the waterline to the H380. I'm guessing that probably about 5 inches leaving the H380 10 inches above the water.

Would this be too close and burn the cheato? If so does anyone have a better suggestion?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi crabs , I’m hoping too maybe upgrade my Chinese B.B.,s too three A360we over my 90 g , tank has two bracing bars on it , which is the reason I will go with 3 .. otherwise I would go for the AP 700

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi crabs , I’m hoping too maybe upgrade my Chinese B.B.,s too three A360we over my 90 g , tank has two bracing bars on it , which is the reason I will go with 3 .. otherwise I would go for the AP 700
I would do the three A360's :)

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a Kessil H380 to light a refugium. The only problem that I am a little worried about is that the distance from the waterline to the ceiling surface in the cabinet is only 15 inch (38cm).

I am not sure how 'short' I can make the H380 so increasing the distance from the waterline to the H380. I'm guessing that probably about 5 inches leaving the H380 10 inches above the water.

Would this be too close and burn the cheato? If so does anyone have a better suggestion?
Due to height restraints in my cabinet mine sits around 10 inches as well. The key is shirt bursts. So mine comes on at 9 when the tank lights shut off, is on for two hours off for two hours until the tank lights come back on :)

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those who have the ap700 do you notice a color difference between that and the 360w
Color difference as in the colors of the corals or the color output of the light?

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess both like when I upgraded from radion g2 to g3 there was a noticible difference I have heard that the ap700 the corals have more of a pop compared to the a360 just wondering if anyone else has noticed that or if In fact they are the same light in a different housing

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess both like when I upgraded from radion g2 to g3 there was a noticible difference I have heard that the ap700 the corals have more of a pop compared to the a360 just wondering if anyone else has noticed that or if In fact they are the same light in a different housing
Definitely different the AP 700 / LED unit has more LEDs in it than the a 360s

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 360s at work and I have an ap700 at home. I don't notice any difference in how a coral looks at the store vs when I get it home.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures of my corals under the Kessils with T5's
The corals are loving this light, my tri-color has never looked so good!
efnEvVvh.jpg

b31EVVnh.jpg

iImC2sVh.jpg

RGF6D4rh.jpg

This guy is slowly recovering from the move, the tips are light purple and getting darker
6tAmWm2h.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these threads make me wonder; Why doesn't kessil make an H160 horticulture light? The H80 typically isn't enough, and for a lot of people the H380 or w/e it's called is overkill.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs is now sporting the Kessil T5 combo, and so far i'm loving it!
Home and ready to go
v8IFQMsl.jpg

Right out of the box
SLSDHVul.jpg

Hanging Kit on
2nAKgqvl.jpg

Side brackets on and AP700 mounted next comes the bulbs
j4Wb5b3l.jpg

Lights on, blue and coral +
jr2wQz0l.jpg

Blue and purple
c5WMEpAl.jpg

Bulbs on kessil off
WGmDF1nl.jpg

All lights on
JQP0YFEl.jpg

Resting on the tank waiting to be hung, WAKE UP EVERYONE!
fx0mHG7l.jpg

Hung, light sits 11 inches off the waters surface
qOJ9feXl.jpg

Hanging kit
pb3obUnl.jpg

Hung and lights on
y48bSoxl.jpg

Were any modifications needed? The fixture says it can fit Kessil pucks but it omits the AP700 as being compatible.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were any modifications needed? The fixture says it can fit Kessil pucks but it omits the AP700 as being compatible.
No modification needed. It uses the two cross brackets that come with the light fixture that you would use to mount the Ecotechs or AIs

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back