OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the beginning I had 5 yellow wrasses - 1 adult and 4 small. One jump out - there was 4 left. 1 disappear - and they was only 3 and since a month - it seems like it is only 2 left. Today - I succeeded to take a photo of the remaining 2 ???????

yellow.JPG

What - its 3.........................

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you were to magically condense your tank to 10 gallons, what would you stock it with?
Small gobies of different types. Pistol Shrimp and a prawn goby. Hermits. snails

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works and not works. I have slowly lower my nutrient levels - for the moment around 0.05 in PO4 and 4.5 in NO3. My reversed flow deep sand bed works rather stable - at most a difference between -160 mV and -176 mV. Still seeking for the sweet spot. On the backside - i have lost some of my threadfins - 8 left and it was 12 a 2 months ago and a can´t see my two fire shrimps and my shrimp goby. As my wife use to say - if I would believe you every time you do not see a fish - the aquarium should be empty by now. They use to show up as your third yellow wrasse did - it was lost for a month - dont seen at all. The corals grow as they should. Change my light a little - have switch out my 110 Ocean blue Mitras LED bar to a 120 deep actinic. Have run a KH director on the tank and realize that if my light is max between 14 and 19 - my major alk consumption seems be between 14 and 22. Testing this now as we speak,

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday - I did a very interesting experiment. Since before I know that KH can vary during day and with help of this - you can estimate the growth of the calcium carbonate of the stony corals and - in my case - clams. The normal point of view is that this happens during the light period - or at least most of it.

At 12:00 last day - I switch of my dosing of the alkalinity part of my Core 7. (3a+b) and switch it on att 00:00 this day (red marking) During this time - my kh was lowered by 0.7 units. Measurements done with a KH director.

My optimal photosynthesis was between 14:00 - 21:00 (high pH -> low CO2 content -> High consumption of CO2 - high photosynthesis). Between 21:00 - photosynthesis decrease rather much - but the consumption of alkalinity was high all the way to around 23:00

How to calculate the calcification during this 12 hours. Easy - we recalculate the loss of dKH (0.7 units) into CaCO3 (limestone) through division of the delta KH - 0.7 dKH - with 0.056 and we will get a decrease with 12,7 mg/L of CaCO3. My tank is 300 L - it means that my amount of limestone (produced by coraline, corals, clams and other producers of limestone) have raised with around 3.7 gram during this time. This night - I will shout down the dosing between 00:00 and 12:00 instead and do the same calculations for my "night period"

Blue - dosing as normal

1644241058046.png

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After analyse of my alk consumption between 00:00 and 12:00 today - I can see that my system "dark" consumption of 0.2 dKH. It means a CaCO3 production of 3.6 mg/L -> 300 * 0,0036 = 1.08 g. In post #2930 I found that during 12:00 to 00:00 the tank production was around 3,7 g CaCO3. This give me a 24 hour production of around 4.8 g CaCO3 - 22.5 % during the 12 "dark" hours (00:00 - 12:00) and 77.5 % during the hours with real photosynthesis

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A graph. Red no adding of Core7 3a+b. Black adding Core7:3a+b. Note that half the consumption of alakality (hence production of CaCO3) during "day" time happens after max photosynthesis. I maybe use these tests to make two different dosing schedules - one between 12 - 00 and one between 00 - 12 in order to keep the KH stable

1644335917001.png

Sincerely Lasse

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

cattlegirl7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

My name is Lasse Forsberg and I live in small place named Bohus – 20 kilometres north Gothenburg, Sweden. I got my first tank 1961 when I was eleven years old and lived in an inland country town 160 kilometres from Gothenburg – I had it for a couple of years but soon I become a teenager and get interested of some other living things. Back in 1974 when I move to Gothenburg together with my girlfriend I started with aquariums again. Today - the same girlfriend is my wife since 39 years ago so there has not been any reason to stop the hobbyJ. For those that is good in math – I know that 1974 is 42 years ago but here in Sweden – we like to test things for a long time before we decide us – at least the female part need timeJ. The best things with long partnership is that different project does not always need to be wife approved – only wife accepted.

My professional life has been everything that have with water, fish, water treatment, fish farming and public aquariums to do – both from a biological and technical point of view. I´m retired since 1 year ago but still working with recirculated fish farming (farming catfish) and with one of the public aquariums in Gothenburg – Sjöfartsmuseet Akvariet.

My old tank that I started 6 years ago did not work very well this summer and I was very busy during the autumn and in January I sold that aquarium (and another well working aquarium).

This movie show my Percula 120 during spring 2015 and the picture show my Red Sea Max 130.

pic0.jpg

However – I had a plan to start another tank – a tank that should be little like showcase what I have learned during my more than 40 year as an aquarist. In January this year I order an aquarium from Poland – a custom build tank with a display tank of 300 litres.

This is the first idea

pic1.jpg

This was the final order - I want it like this. I send some text and some pictures to a guy that did not speak Swedish and not so good English either (and I do not speak Polish !) I have a friend that speak Polish so if I got some question - he could help me - I hope. The delivery (pre pay) was promised to be early march. After paying - the sound of silence was my Polish aquarium builders signature tune. No questions - no contact

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

March pass by - no Aquarium - a little bit nervous. My wife looks at me with special expression in her face. (after 42 years, I know what that look means) April start - and finally I got a e-mail - delivery on Monday. The tank arrived on Tuesday (same week)

pic 4.jpg

It was perfect - it was like I wanted it.

Now - the build could start - I let the pictures talk for them selves

pic 6.jpg

pic 7.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

This was the technical part. Lets start with the aesthetic part of the aquarium

Left corner

pic 13.jpg

pic 15.jpg

From the right

pic12.jpg

Right corner

pic14.jpg

Hiding Chinese wavemakers - left

pic16.jpg

pic 18.jpg

pic17.jpg

Right corner

pic19.jpg

pic20.jpg

I´ll come back with the biological part

Sincerely Lasse

Welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fat Copperband you have there. I'm sure he has plenty to graze on!

Yes - and he/she eats freshwater cyclops and adult frozen artemia

Still one of my Favorite tanks... What are the dimensions of that tank?

The Display is 120 cm * 50 cm * 50 cm

Reminds me of a magical hobbit forest! Love it!

Thanks

Beautiful Lasse, and the nosy Copperband!

Thanks

Welcome to R2R.
A little late :D- but nevertheless - Thank you

Sincerely Lasse

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back