Lets talk about the sun.....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So - I read that Goniopora do better in sunlight. People seem to have problems with this coral - I seem to do ok. I read that at an aquarium in Hawaii that is lit by sun - they have no problems with them. I noticed that from about 7AM to noon (depending on the season) - various portions of my tank are lit by sunlight - which doesnt seem to cause algae, etc. In fact those areas have less issues than the few that do... Question - Does your tank get exposure to sun each day? I tried to post a poll - but it didnt work lol:) due to my stupidity - so lets just discuss - is the sun a positive a negative or a neutral

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think global position would make the sun more or less of a factor. The further from the equator the more the seasons change. Winter is way brighter (indoors) where I am because the sun at mid day is at a lower angle and gets in the windows more than summer. Couple this with no leaves on the trees and the difference between summer and winter are dramatic. Stability is the goal. My tank would be in the basement but I’d forget about it lol.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think global position would make the sun more or less of a factor. The further from the equator the more the seasons change. Winter is way brighter (indoors) where I am because the sun at mid day is at a lower angle and gets in the windows more than summer. Couple this with no leaves on the trees and the difference between summer and winter are dramatic. Stability is the goal. My tank would be in the basement but I’d forget about it lol.
Mine is in a walkout basement - but - I hadn't realized how much sun it gets.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the summer my tanks do not get much sun light. We keep the blinds and curtains closed throughout the day except for early in the evening.
In the fall and winter the room is lit with sunlight all day starting around 7:30am before I head out to work and on the weekends as well.
I haven’t noticed any difference as far as algae problems. My corals open up and the fish are swimming as if the tank lights are on before they actually turn on around 11:30am. I’ve been doing it for many years without any real cause for concern.
That’s just my experience though.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I
In the summer my tanks do not get much sun light. We keep the blinds and curtains closed throughout the day except for early in the evening.
In the fall and winter the room is lit with sunlight all day starting around 7:30am before I head out to work and on the weekends as well.
I haven’t noticed any difference as far as algae problems. My corals open up and the fish are swimming as if the tank lights are on before they actually turn on around 11:30am. I’ve been doing it for many years without any real cause for concern.
That’s just my experience though.
Mine is the same - it gets sun from a wall of windows/door on the far left side of the tank. As the sun changes - the sun gradually hits all parts of the tank. When the sun is low in the sky (winter) - there is more of an effect than the summer - but still some sunlight comes in. I find no issies with algae - and the corals are all fully open during this period.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back