Lids Filtering Light?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I use 1/4" ( 0.22" ) Clear Extruded Acrylic Plexiglass over my 125 gal refugium. I've had to keep the pieces over the fuge more often to cut down on evaporation. However, I've notice that the corals don't do as well. I'm currently running a 6' T-5 unit with recently replaced bulbs. I've stayed away from glass as its my understanding that certain types of glass filter out beneficial light. Yet, going to a thinner plexiglass- 1/8" ( 0.118" ) leads to the material bowing and warping. Is there a better way?

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best method would be to get a screen net top and an ato. However, this may not be very cost effective, so you will have to make some trade-offs.

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The best method would be to get a screen net top and an ato. However, this may not be very cost effective, so you will have to make some trade-offs.

I have an ato so I'm less concerned about that and more about the amount of moisture going into the air. I'm all for trade-offs I'm just wondering if there's a material that's widely recognized as the go-to for solid lids that minimally impacts reef lighting.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 68 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back