OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. I still get "kicked in the balls" by the hobby quite often after 1 year. But I think something many people told be when I started and I understood only with time was that patience is key. The tank goes through many ugly phases and crisis and sometimes the best thing to do it's just waiting. The tank needs time to build some balance and every time you perturbate the balance (e.g disturb the sediments or change lights) you end up with some mess.
I really like this advice. Reminds of a professor I had in B School who said “There will be times when the best thing you can do is nothing.” Glad to know this holds true in reefing, too!

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be following this one. Looks nice and tidy so far, which I am a big fan of.

That stand is screaming that it needs a sump and for the tank to be plumbed out. ;) Might be an upgrade project down the line for you.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be following this one. Looks nice and tidy so far, which I am a big fan of.

That stand is screaming that it needs a sump and for the tank to be plumbed out. ;) Might be an upgrade project down the line for you.
You’re not wrong! The promise I made to myself (and my partner) was that I’d keep this build “small.” If I love the hobby and stay with it for the long term, I would love to design a larger tank that’s plumbed into a sump. In that case, this 25g would become a QT tank for the larger system.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the source of your fish? Recommend @Dr. Reef!
Read my mind, actually! Here's my fish/invert plan along with where I plan to acquire them. What do you think of this list?

TypeSourceNameNumberResidesDiet
FishDr. Reef's Quarantined FishOcellaris Clownfish (Quarantined)2Middle Water ColumnOmnivore
FishDr. Reef's Quarantined FishRed Firefish2Low/Mid Water ColumnCarnivore
FishDr. Reef's Quarantined FishYellow Watchman Goby (Quarantined)1Sand, RocksCarnivore
InvertDr. Reef's Quarantined FishRed Banded Pistol Shrimp1Sand, SubstrateCarnivore
InvertDr. Reef's Quarantined FishHalloween Urchin1Rocks, GlassAlgae
InvertDr. Reef's Quarantined FishFighting Conch1SandAlgae, Diatoms, Detritus
InvertReef CleanersScarlet Cleaner Shrimp1Sand, RocksScavenger
Clean Up CrewReef CleanersDwarf Cerith Snail20Sand, Rocks, GlassAlgae, Diatoms, Detritus
Clean Up CrewReef CleanersFlorida Cerith Snail10Sand, Rocks, GlassAlgae, Diatoms, Detritus
Clean Up CrewReef CleanersNassarius Vibex3Sand, SubstrateAlgae, Diatoms, Detritus
Clean Up CrewReef CleanersTrochus Snail3Rocks, GlassAlgae, Diatoms

robo_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Inkbird, definitely something I will keep in mind. As far as electrical goes, I have a power strip mounted along the inside wall of the stand. If needed, I can switch the whole unit off or unplug whatever piece of equipment is causing the issue.

A72ADAB8-86A4-4021-95C4-D8DF38753ADC.jpeg

I’m making sure to leave enough slack on all the chords coming from the tank allow for drips just in case.

If I go the route of adding dosing pumps, then I would like to invest in a controller so that I have mobile control over everything. What equipment do you have running through your controller?
If you pick a doser with its own app (e.g., the Kamoer X1), then you don't need a controller.

I can think of a few things that a controller can add to your setup -

1) monitoring of temperature, salinity, ORP, pH, leak detection, water level, and power usage (if you add automated testing, then water parameters too).

2) the ability to "act" based on the monitored parameters (shut down heaters if overheat, stop ATO if leak, abnormal power usage for anomalies.

3) basic control - turn off return pump / wave maker / ATO / etc for feeding, maintenance, etc. What if I turned the pump off and forgot to turn it back on in 15 min? Things like that.

When I got started, I basically only had 2) to make life easier - if I want to turn something off, I don't want to open the cabinet and unplug stuff, or go through 5 different apps to shut them off. Everything was plugged into a smart power strip and I can open 1 app (whether it's Google Assistant, Alexa, or Siri HomeKit) and push buttons.

As my tank got more mature and added more valuable livestock, I realized that what I had was only "open loop" - meaning there was no automated feedback to tell me if the heaters malfunctioned, or the water parameters out of wack. The ability for the controller to measure something, then act on that information by controlling equipments (or at least alerting me) was a valuable "insurance plan". It's also nice to get everything in one app (instead of checking Inkbird for temperature, Eve for power, etc).

Of course that insurance comes at a cost - $1000-ish for a full fledged Apex setup. Maybe less for Hydros.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read my mind, actually! Here's my fish/invert plan along with where I plan to acquire them. What do you think of this list?

TypeSourceNameNumberResidesDiet
FishDr. Reef's Quarantined FishOcellaris Clownfish (Quarantined)2Middle Water ColumnOmnivore
FishDr. Reef's Quarantined FishRed Firefish2Low/Mid Water ColumnCarnivore
FishDr. Reef's Quarantined FishYellow Watchman Goby (Quarantined)1Sand, RocksCarnivore
InvertDr. Reef's Quarantined FishRed Banded Pistol Shrimp1Sand, SubstrateCarnivore
InvertDr. Reef's Quarantined FishHalloween Urchin1Rocks, GlassAlgae
InvertDr. Reef's Quarantined FishFighting Conch1SandAlgae, Diatoms, Detritus
InvertReef CleanersScarlet Cleaner Shrimp1Sand, RocksScavenger
Clean Up CrewReef CleanersDwarf Cerith Snail20Sand, Rocks, GlassAlgae, Diatoms, Detritus
Clean Up CrewReef CleanersFlorida Cerith Snail10Sand, Rocks, GlassAlgae, Diatoms, Detritus
Clean Up CrewReef CleanersNassarius Vibex3Sand, SubstrateAlgae, Diatoms, Detritus
Clean Up CrewReef CleanersTrochus Snail3Rocks, GlassAlgae, Diatoms
I would suggest a single firefish. And replace the other w/ another fish or two

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pick a doser with its own app (e.g., the Kamoer X1), then you don't need a controller.

I can think of a few things that a controller can add to your setup -

1) monitoring of temperature, salinity, ORP, pH, leak detection, water level, and power usage (if you add automated testing, then water parameters too).

2) the ability to "act" based on the monitored parameters (shut down heaters if overheat, stop ATO if leak, abnormal power usage for anomalies.

3) basic control - turn off return pump / wave maker / ATO / etc for feeding, maintenance, etc. What if I turned the pump off and forgot to turn it back on in 15 min? Things like that.

When I got started, I basically only had 2) to make life easier - if I want to turn something off, I don't want to open the cabinet and unplug stuff, or go through 5 different apps to shut them off. Everything was plugged into a smart power strip and I can open 1 app (whether it's Google Assistant, Alexa, or Siri HomeKit) and push buttons.

As my tank got more mature and added more valuable livestock, I realized that what I had was only "open loop" - meaning there was no automated feedback to tell me if the heaters malfunctioned, or the water parameters out of wack. The ability for the controller to measure something, then act on that information by controlling equipments (or at least alerting me) was a valuable "insurance plan". It's also nice to get everything in one app (instead of checking Inkbird for temperature, Eve for power, etc).

Of course that insurance comes at a cost - $1000-ish for a full fledged Apex setup. Maybe less for Hydros.
Thank you for such a detailed write up! This definitely sounds like something I'd explore down the road. I do appreciate the more 'hands on' control at this point, if only because it gives me a chance to understand how each aspect of my tank ties together. Does your controller output the data of your tank (water parameters, temperature, etc.) to a graph for you to monitor? I could see something like that being incredibly helpful, too.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a single firefish. And replace the other w/ another fish or two
For some reason I thought they preferred to come in pairs. Good to know! If all goes well with these initial fish, then I would like to add a Midas Blenny to the tank.

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have a moment, would you be willing to share your lighting schedule? I just got my Prime 16HD installed, and I am curious what kind of schedules you have found to be effective.

robo_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for such a detailed write up! This definitely sounds like something I'd explore down the road. I do appreciate the more 'hands on' control at this point, if only because it gives me a chance to understand how each aspect of my tank ties together. Does your controller output the data of your tank (water parameters, temperature, etc.) to a graph for you to monitor? I could see something like that being incredibly helpful, too.
The basic Apex will give you temperature and pH. The "Pro" version will add ORP and Salinity. A separate device called Trident will give you calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. All time series data (real time for the basic ones, and a couple of data points per day for Trident)

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basic Apex will give you temperature and pH. The "Pro" version will add ORP and Salinity. A separate device called Trident will give you calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. All time series data (real time for the basic ones, and a couple of data points per day for Trident)
Very cool! I can see these controllers appearing on a holiday wishlist soon enough…

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the level of your planning. I am looking forward to following along.
Thanks so much! We all know what they say about plans though haha.

Although it doesn’t look like it, we made some good progress today on getting equipment set up. In addition to the Inkbird, I was able to get the ATO installed along with the AI Prime light. If you have any recommendations on light schedules and settings, I am all ears!

4244EAF6-EDD5-4DC8-A2AC-6339DF45069D.jpeg

3AA1DE00-7C25-4B52-B7FD-5ED4535EB93C.jpeg

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly you can upload or download or something preprogrammed schedules thru your app i believe. I was not able to do that so i had to make my own. Then i traded the ai in for a radion and havent looked back. There are far more intelligent ppl on here than i - one of them will chime in!

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my PM25 I will definitely be following along!
My camera is terrible on my phone so don’t mind the bad pic lol
4E9EE416-EFA7-4B88-8BBD-8F856FE5051F.jpeg 5ECF6A43-DAE2-4702-B997-285354C78E64.jpeg
Wow! That is a clean looking cabinet and tank. Do you mind sharing what equipment you have plugged into your controller? That looks intense!

Jonny Walker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is a clean looking cabinet and tank. Do you mind sharing what equipment you have plugged into your controller? That looks intense!
Thank you!
For equipment on the EB832 in order
- Ai Prime
- Kamoer ATOone
- Mighty jet return pump
- BRS titanium heater
- MP10
- Kamoer x1 dosing pump
- Bubble magus QQ2
In connection with the Apex controller I have a Neptune DOS and I recently installed the Trident

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for other Reefers with AIO systems: Where do you place your temperature probes for an Inkbird temperature controller?

Right in the AIO sump area... where the return pump chamber is.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build list, well organized. Satisfies my OCD nature lol.

The Red Sea Coral Pro is a great salt. Mixes clean. That's also what I first started out with. But you might find that keeping the high Alk stable will be a challenge. I ended up switching to the blue bucket once the Pro ran out. With the blue bucket, keeping Alk stable at 7.90 - 8.1 is MUCH easier.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back