Meisens LPS Lagoon

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on this for a while. Its still very rough I think but hopefully it will start to shine as a work in progress. I do have it sort of easy, at least the animals I working with in here are pretty decent to start :bigsmile:

Basic tank is a 60 G Rimless Glasscages with Starfire front. The overflow is coast to coast, glass with an acrylic cover. Sump is an Aqueon unit housing a SWC 160 skimmer and using an Eheim return. Eventually a 2nd sump will house a freshwater topoff chamber and a DSB/Rubble/Chaeto fuge.

Tank is lit with 2 Finnex Blue LED Strips and a 4 bulb Tek-light running 2 blue plus, 1 10K daylight and a Geismann Actinic. The LEDs do dawn and dusk in addition to combining with the Tek for "daytime" lighting.

My overall plan for stocking is just to put as much LPS color into it as I can. Lots of LE chalices, Lobos, Acan lords, fungias and of course a few oddball things here and there. No SPS, no softies, no polyps.

OP
OP
M

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stocking list is going to be pretty short: Flame Wrasse Trio, Pair of Snowflake Clowns, Blackcap Basslet. Maybe a two-spot hog if I ever find a nice one.

OP
OP
M

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the first round of pics, sorry these go back a bit but figured I'd include them for posterity:

newtank.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to look sweet, I love your fish list as well.

OP
OP
M

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the FrankenFixture:
finnex
IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

Skimmer ready to rock:
IMG_0944.jpg

At first, more was well, just more. I put in too much rock:
IMG_1817.jpg

Ahh thats better:

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meisen - beautiful looking tank and I love the black sand. Your lights look great btw. I really got stop looking at peoples setups cuz I'm dying to get a new tank. Lol. Keep up the good work.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice- I gotta agree, glad you removed the rock- the black sand would have been lessened with all that rock in there. The less-is-more, along with the big LPS's contrasting so heavily against the black sand is sweet!

Also- very glad you posted the older pics- I like seeing a tank setup from beginning to end.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is sweet! Love the corals!

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking setup. I really like the aquascape. I'm assuming that you skipped the curing part?

CJ

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice job. I'm typically not a fan of black sand at all, but it fits very well with this tank and very appealing to the eye. I like the minimalist aquascape too. Great work thus far! Please keep us posted : )

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not often you get to see a black sanded tank, very nice! What do you think of Glasscage's work? I hear mixed reviews but I also hear their service is pretty non-existent.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do like the black sand look in yours. That scoly (and other LPS) definitely stand out against it. Do you have any closeups?

CJ

OP
OP
M

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words, makes me feel better about all the black sand downsides. I'm working on some new shots :)

I keep swapping things around at this stage, one week I like something then next week I put it back in my other tank. Seems like lately I have found at least one amazing thing per week to add.

Hopefully epoxy will pin down my OCD a little bit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back