moray eel in with soft corals???????

billblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id like to break down my 120 cichli d tank and start a soft coral eel tank........any advice?????

Mstansbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it!! Do your research but IMHE/O Morays do fine with most if not all coral!! Their only influence can be "burrowing" or collapsing rock work.

brian-j-skerry-a-moray-eel-slithers-through-the-branches-of-a-soft-coral-166878.jpg

Oceanslayer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. Eels dont go for coral. Just burrow and some morays may get aggressive and consider tank mates as a meal lol but not all morays are this way.

jomatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a zebra eel and you will be able to put almost any fish you want with it, so long as it is properly fed. I am going to put one in the tank I am building for my son. From what I have read they are generally okay even with ornamental shrimp, and I'm not sure any other eels are unlikely to eat shrimp (of course there is the chance for a zebra eel to eat a shrimp, but apparently they are unlikely to eat them).

vamaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebras are great but they will get big. Just something to get in mind. Make sure the zebra eats frozen food before you buy it.

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tessalata in a 55 for about 6 months....if your tank is big and your rocks are heavy (or glued together STRONGLY) do it. Otherwise expect to come home to a rearranged tank after a while. Mine got too big (thing belonged in a 150+g to begin with) wayyy to fast and kicked sand and rocks on everything. I restarted with a reef tank. They are cool but have caution that they will make the tank their own. Mine did. They need tons of places to hide otherwise they wll make places to hide on their own :)

O! and if you plan to hand feed any of the more aggressive ones watch out! Mine was a complete jerk, tessalatas usually are, sucker tried to bite me multiple times, i got away clean though haha. I had to buy a stainless steel feeding arm.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back