My Biocube 29

Alex Crittenden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking through at the Biocubes you all have makes me feel like mine is inadequate haha, but something to strive for I guess.

I changed out bioballs in the sump for new ones (I know there are better options, but thought with a few other mods it would be ok). I removed the cartridge filters and added carbon/GFO media bag, then put a few different types of filter flosses. 2 different sponges to allow extra areas for bacteria to populate in the sump. I still haven't put a protein skimmer on, will need to do that soon. If anyone has a suggestion for the biocube that allows you to keep the stock hood that would be great. Don't want to take it off at this point, and not a huge fan of the biocube skimmer. I added dry rock to create the aquascape and let the tank cycle. I should say this is a reboot and I'm reusing the rock and tank and some equipment from previous build with this tank, but a lot of things are new.

We just added our first fish on Wednesday night, 2 clowns. Added an emerald crab and a few astrea snails. Water conditions are stable after the first few days so that makes me happy, seems like the tank was cycled long enough. Did a 5g water change before adding our new fish.
IMG_1095-1.jpg

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks!

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using an Aqualife 115 skimmer in Chamber 1. Works well. The cover should go on with it, might have a small gap. I have the HQI version, so the back covers are different.

Your emerald looks hungry =)

Does a fairly good job removing nasty stuff out of your tank. Here is about 2 days of skim mate.
IMG_6070.JPG

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is nothing to be ashamed of at all! Nice!

OP
OP
A

Alex Crittenden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this on my local forum earlier - wanted to throw it out here too:

Had to pull one of my fish out of the return chamber in the back of my Biocube this morning. Woke up and went to feed, got real scared when I couldn't find one of them, but then started looking through the chambers and found her (I think it's a her, it's the bigger if the 2). I've never quite understood why fish do that. My wife said she thought it was trying to pull a "Nemo" and escape from the tank." I'm sure there's some level of anecdotal truth to that, or at least explore different parts of the tank. Watched her for about 10 mins after putting her back into the main tank area, swimming fine, no cuts or hurt fins, she ate like normal this morning. Thinking I'm pretty lucky she's ok.

Just wanted to share that. Anyone have similar experiences and/or have any ideas on how to stop it from happening again?

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think intank has a guard that prevents this from happening.

My back wall goes up about 2-3" awl, so the fish cant get back there.

Fast forward to 4:40min on this youtube video and you will see the guard.

OP
OP
A

Alex Crittenden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think intank has a guard that prevents this from happening.

My back wall goes up about 2-3" awl, so the fish cant get back there.

Fast forward to 4:40min on this youtube video and you will see the guard.

Just bought this today. Will keep ya'll updated once I receive it. Thank you @Dominat0r!

OP
OP
A

Alex Crittenden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on a QT system. I have been flipping through threads here on Reef2Reef, watching some stuff on YouTube, and talked with a guy at an LFS. I was thinking about using a 20 long for the tank, adding a piece or 2 of dry rock for hiding and bio filtration, (I know most people use PVC, I just don't like the look of it, and while I want it to function properly I also don't want it to look like garbage.) and I was thinking about using either a canister filter or an HOB and pulling the guts out of it and putting in my own filtration (something like this - thinking about using the one rated for 60-110 to ensure water quality).

A few things I'm thinking about with this:
1- I know drilling and having a small sump would be ideal but I want to avoid having to do that, buy a stand for it, and plumbing it all up. Thinking that's probably not worth it considering the QT system is only going to be running for small amounts of time.
2- I could get another AIO system for a QT, but I don't want to spend exorbitant amounts of money on a system that isn't going to be running a ton. (That being said if you have an AIO that you want to get rid of for cheap, let me know via PM)
3- Canister filters seem to be going the way of the dinosaur in this hobby. I've never used one personally and they seem simple enough, but it seems people have vendettas against them.
4- HOB filters really aren't used in saltwater either, and while I wouldn't use it for a main display, I feel like if I'm putting a filter that is rated for 5x the water volume of the QT and I put similar media into it that I use in my Biocube it would work.

I would like to get your thoughts or suggestions so I don't make a dumb investment and have to spend more money in the long run than I need to.

Thanks everyone!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back