My overflow idea

Jasonstarphire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have see so many black box’s, HOB overflows, and other ways to transfer water. One thing I always noticed when going to large aquariums when on vacation is the lack on equipment in the display Tanks.

this is what I wanted, a tank with the smallest eyesores, when I can afford a ghost overflow that will be next. But for now this is what I did. What do you think?

thanks

image.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing (since you didn't explain what you did), that you installed a single standpipe overflow?
Care to explain what we're looking at?

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the function of the two on the left?

If the far left is the primary drain then does the tank drain to that level when the return pump is off? It seems like that would dump a lot of water into the sump.

If the middle is the primary drain, then what happens when a snail crawls in it and blocks it?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The left is the primary intake, the middle is the skimmer/overflow second intake, the right is the inflow
Have you tested a power failure with it? You must have a massive sump, or the DT isn't that big.
That's a pretty low water line. If you're relying on a check-valve to save you, they fail.
What happens if the standpipe gets clogged?

OP
OP
Jasonstarphire

Jasonstarphire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank does drain to below the primary return when power goes out, that is about 15 gallons. My sump is a 40 gallon, normally running at 12 gallons

OP
OP
Jasonstarphire

Jasonstarphire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT is 90 G. The sump is in the basement. I do my water changes in the sump, so when I cut the pump and it runs to the sump I have 30 to 33 gallons I drain off for the change. Easy way to gauge a 30% water change

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see. It looks like a snail could just happen to crawl in if it wanted to. Could the teeth be lengthened and pipe be raised to accommodate that? So a Snail would literally have to climb out of the water to get into the pipe.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see. It looks like a snail could just happen to crawl in if it wanted to. Could the teeth be lengthened and pipe be raised to accommodate that? So a Snail would literally have to climb out of the water to get into the pipe.

The problem with raising the intake level on that pipe is that it is also the 'skimmer'. I would say this design needs to go back to the drawing board....

OP
OP
Jasonstarphire

Jasonstarphire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank was built and drilled 8 years ago, at that time the only overflows were bigger.
been in operation as a fresh water for seven years. Started with a marine land canister filter, moved up to a small understand sump and then to a 40 gallon sump in the basement. Tank has never overflowed.
looking at moving to a eshopps herbie now

Back